Wedding Etiquette Forum

FFF or UO or I judge

Re: FFF or UO or I judge

• edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:ae9b22f4-c9a9-4e6c-b19d-5c469ee1c8e2">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : I didn't read the whole thing - sorry. =) <strong>So was Jesus a good healer? What happened if you had like pneumonia and could die or something? </strong>Did you get to go to the hospital too? Do you cut your hair now? I just can't imagine never going. But I was raised by a hypocondriac. Different strokes! I'm glad you're going to one. I just thought it was weird. 
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

I am assuming the family would let them die since it was God's will. Isn't it Jehovah Witness' that doesn't believe in blood transfusions, and they would rather let someone die rather than dirty their blood? 
  • Why is my sig so big? I tried to resize it. It's a conspiracy. 
    Photobucket
  • I actually wasn't mocking her. I was trying to see how it went. Like, at what point did it become time to seek medical attention? I've always wondered the hair thing. We've got lots of people who grew up pentacostal around here who still don't cut their hair.

Bad delivery, I guess. 
  • ErinG93ErinG93 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:2979b0b9-4ab2-4589-b25b-367e8f56bad8">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is my sig so big? I tried to resize it. It's a conspiracy. 
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It looks small/normal to me?

</div>
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    I know some Christian Scientists who don't use any western medicine.  I was not aware that Pentacostal Christians were also anti-medicine.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:2979b0b9-4ab2-4589-b25b-367e8f56bad8">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is my sig so big? I tried to resize it. It's a conspiracy. 
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]
    It's not big, crazy.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:3668c99f-f861-4bb7-8c0a-72238ecf3340">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : I am assuming the family would let them die since it was God's will. Isn't it Jehovah Witness' that doesn't believe in blood transfusions, and they would rather let someone die rather than dirty their blood? 
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've known a couple JWs and this is a key part of their beliefs. An old coworker had to get surgery and they had to recycle her own blood back into her because she refused transfusions.
    Lizzie
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to Re:FFF or UO or I judge:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge:In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : I didn't read the whole thing sorry. So was Jesus a good healer? What happened if you had like pneumonia and could die or something? Did you get to go to the hospital too? Do you cut your hair now? I just can't imagine never going. But I was raised by a hypocondriac. Different strokes! I'm glad you're going to one. I just thought it was weird.nbsp;Posted by LDYGTR13LDY, I flame you for this.nbsp; It seems glib and a bit snotty.nbsp; I'm no seesaw fan, but her parents didn't take her to doctors when they were making her healthcare decisions.nbsp; Don't mock her for that. Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE] I was going to say this. Seriously, I'm not religious, and I'm always curious about it...but I think mocking someone's religion, especially When it was something they had no control over, is a total asshole move.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:2414e39a-e27e-467a-b2bd-1ce1cd90dbb8">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : It looks small/normal to me?
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : It's not big, crazy.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE] </div><div>
    </div><div>Yep, def a conspiracy. </div><div>
    </div><div>(I am in a weird mood this afternoon, btw.)

</div>
    Photobucket
  • I think it is very flame worthy to judge someone on their life decisions that were made based on their religious beliefs, and even more if the decisions were made for the person when they were a minor. This is different, but IRL I got several snide comments about how strictly I was taking giving up certain things for lent and It pissed me off. 
    imageVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:6ff4a25b-565f-4dcf-a3d4-c9b265870ab0">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually wasn't mocking her. I was trying to see how it went. <strong>Like, at what point did it become time to seek medical attention?</strong>I've always wondered the hair thing. We've got lots of people who grew up pentacostal around here who still don't cut their hair. Bad delivery, I guess. 

There is no point. If you die, it's because that's what God wants.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:ae9b22f4-c9a9-4e6c-b19d-5c469ee1c8e2">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : I didn't read the whole thing - sorry. =) So was Jesus a good healer? What happened if you had like pneumonia and could die or something? Did you get to go to the hospital too? Do you cut your hair now? I just can't imagine never going. But I was raised by a hypocondriac. Different strokes! I'm glad you're going to one. I just thought it was weird. 

No, even as a child, I thought it was stupid. Personally, I was of the belief, and still am really, that they used religion as an excuse, and the real reason was to cover up the fact that we were abused. So, no, no hospitals, even when we were really sick, or injured, because most of the injuries were caused by them to begin with. This is also the reason why I was homeschooled most of my life, leading to my obvious social awkwardness/ignorance.
    And yes, I cut my hair, and I wear pants. My wedding dress was the first dress that I'd worn in almost 10 years. I actually buzzed my hair off on NYD 2011.
  • LDY I'm pretty sure it was the "so was Jesus a good healer?" that fucked you.

• ErinG93ErinG93 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:36db933a-8f29-416b-a47b-a8faa0582d34">Re:FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:FFF or UO or I judge: I was going to say this. Seriously, <strong>I'm not religious, and I'm always curious about it</strong>...but I think mocking someone's religion, especially When it was something they had no control over, is a total asshole move.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div> I was actually thinking about Seesaw yesterday after an unfortunate conversation with my hypochondriac sister. Seesaw, since you didn't go to a doctor, were you home schooled? I assume you haven't had any vaccinations, though I could be wrong.</div><div>ETA: You beat me to it, Seesaw! Interesting.</div>
  • Um yeah - it was taken incorrectly. Sorry Seesaw, I wasn't being a total douche there, I assure you. It was rambling questions. Like I said, bad delivery. 

And again - my life was much different than yours, thus why I thought it was weird and my mind was blown that you had never been to a doctor.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:b897525d-2060-4c33-bae1-cabed601f53d">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : <strong>What makes you think some kids don't get bottles until they are 3?</strong> It's not recommended (due to the artificial nipples and their impact on tooth development), but some children get them in the morning and/or before bed - which is probably exactly when a 3 year old is being breast fed. The mom isn't stopping by his preschool to whip out the boob every few hours. Breastfeeding is a natural way oif suppressing ovulation and spacing children. I believe the World Health Organization recommends breast feeding until age 2. In much of the world, extended breast feeing isn't "icky" or "unusual." I DO judge the Time magazine cover for 1) choosing a petite mom and putting the kid on a chair to make him look bigger/older and thus more controversial and 2) choosing an inflamatory headline that was bound to feed into the mommy wars. As an aside, I wear sunscreen on my face every day.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

<div>Just the fact that no one I know had bottles until that age. I'm no expert and I won't pretend to be one - all of my opinions are based on my own personal experiences. </div><div>
    </div><div>It does make sense to me that toddlers still occasionally use a bottle, and that mothers continue to breast feed toddlers. From what I've heard, breast feeding is a comfort thing for both the mother and the child. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:3668c99f-f861-4bb7-8c0a-72238ecf3340">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : I am assuming the family would let them die since it was God's will. Isn't it Jehovah Witness' that doesn't believe in blood transfusions, and they would rather let someone die rather than dirty their blood? 
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]

Yes. Also I'm assuming whatshername (who are we talking about?) was raised Christian Scientist. They do not believe in medical treatment. There have been occassions where children of Christian Scientists have gotten very sick and even died because of lack of treatment. (My mother had a boy in her classroom when she was student teacher in a special ed class - he had meningitis as a small child and somehow survived, but with severe mental retardation - who was the son of Christian Scientists.) It's kind of controversial because some parents have been charged with manslaughter if their children die because of lack of medical treatment, though they obviously plead religious freedom as a defense.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:a34c9a77-177f-428e-ac41-37dddae259d8">Re:FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]LDY I'm pretty sure it was the "so was Jesus a good healer?" that fucked you.
    Yeah, I'm a douche. 
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:5c223468-2414-44db-9ec6-68a37b2eaf82">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : No, even as a child, I thought it was stupid. Personally, I was of the belief, and still am really, that they used religion as an excuse, and the real reason was to cover up the fact that we were abused. So, no, no hospitals, even when we were really sick, or injured, because most of the injuries were caused by them to begin with. This is also the reason why I was homeschooled most of my life, leading to my obvious social awkwardness/ignorance. And yes, I cut my hair, and I wear pants. My wedding dress was the first dress that I'd worn in almost 10 years. I actually buzzed my hair off on NYD 2011.
    Posted by seesawgirl[/QUOTE]

Wow seesaw. That's awful.

I give you props for sticking around even though you get flamed a lot. I guess you are the new chelsea!
  • amys325amys325 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:f89ec083-8368-481d-bf5b-2a38b698578f">Re: FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF or UO or I judge : Yes, I've known a couple JWs and this is a key part of their beliefs. An old coworker had to get surgery and they had to recycle her own blood back into her because she refused transfusions.
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

<div>My H's mom WAS ("was" being the keyword here) a JW.  She is no longer practicing, but the only belief that she maintains from that religion is the idea of no blood transfusions.</div><div>
    </div><div>H gets really upset with her about it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm on the fence about how I feel about it because in one hand she was a JW for around 10 years and that's what they believed in, but on the other hand she no longer practices any part of the religion or their beliefs besides that one thing that can end her life in certain situations.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:91a2f884-69d8-484c-afb4-d3dac6b4607f">Re:FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um yeah - it was taken incorrectly. Sorry Seesaw, I wasn't being a total douche there, I assure you. It was rambling questions. Like I said, bad delivery.  And again - my life was much different than yours, thus why I thought it was weird and my mind was blown that you had never been to a doctor.

I actually laughed when I read it, so no offense.

I don't believe it was the Pentecostal beliefs that mandated the lack of healthcare, and yeah, we got immunizations before the abuse started, which feeds into my theory that it was all just a cover up.
  • In Response to Re:FFF or UO or I judge:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:FFF or UO or I judge:LDY I'm pretty sure it was the "so was Jesus a good healer?" that fucked you.Posted by Jamp;K10910Yeah, I'm a douche.nbsp; Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]
    Oh, FFS.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-or-uo-or-i-judge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:62caf65f-a008-4f56-9f8b-056dfe09a70aPost:28a8cdc9-f91e-4e7c-a746-672eb3cf060d">Re:FFF or UO or I judge</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:FFF or UO or I judge: Oh, FFS.
    You missed my sarcasm. It wasn't like "OMG PITY ME I'M A DOUCHE" Calm down with your FFS.
  • That's just insane Seesaw. I'm sorry all that happened to you. It seems like you've moved on now so that's awesome.
  • In Response to Re:FFF or UO or I judge:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:FFF or UO or I judge:In Response to Re:FFF or UO or I judge: Oh, FFS.Posted by Jamp;K10910You missed my sarcasm. It wasn't like "OMG PITY ME I'M A DOUCHE" Calm down with your FFS. Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

No, I read your sarcasm loud and clear. I still thought it was a dumb thing to say. Not that I can tell you how to post, but I just don't think that flaming isyour thing.

• aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Thanks for sharinf your story Seesaw, that's really sad. I read a long-form piece on the fringe homeschool/extreme religious right community a few months ago and your story seems to fit in with what other children of these kinds of parents have said. Very sad stuff, and I give you a lot of credit for sticking through it all.

I'm trying to remember from what magazine that article was ...
    Lizzie
  • mkruparmkrupar member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    Is this going to turn into another LDY says something dumb, people blame her, then she becomes self deprecating?

I can take my cookies elsewhere if that's the case. It's like the round and round about Chelsea's posting.
  • mkruparmkrupar member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    You can't play with us LDY if you can't flame right.
  • Yeah, I'll keep that from happening, MK. I've got spin class to go to anyway.

JUST KIDDING. 

I'm actually about to head to meet a client in 15 minutes. Might as well put some make up on. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards