Georgia-Atlanta

Cake Tasting Help!

So my FI and I are planning on doing our first cake tasting in a few weeks and we're not really sure what to expect. Are we supposed to tell the baker which flavors we're interested in trying or are they just going to bake the traditional vanilla/chocolate for us to try? I've also read on some websites they add all of these fees like a stacking fee and design fee, this makes me afraid that there are going to be a bunch of hidden fees! I always thought that whatever you're quoted as the "per slice" cost is what the cost will be (plus delivery). Am I wrong? 

On another note, we are still looking around, so does anyone have a baker they'd recommend that's not terribly expensive?

Thanks!!

Re: Cake Tasting Help!

• Well as far as what to expect at your tasting, this is how mine went:

We came in and sat down. They brought out a plate of several different little squares of cake and little dabs of icings/fillings for us to try. We were able to make different combos and decide what we wanted. Then someone sat down with us and asked what we had in mind. She broke down the cost of everything we said we wanted and figured up the total cost including taxes and fees etc. 

Just make sure that before you sign anything you get a full estimate. 
  • So you didn't specify ahead of time what flavors you wanted to try? I am asking because we are pretty sure that we want one of our flavors (we want to do two) to be pumpkin w/ cream cheese frosting. It seems almost a bit silly to me to NOT try their version of pumpkin before hand if we already know that's what we want. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_cake-tasting-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:428c8971-30a4-4688-9d78-1d8f4b96975dPost:24667de9-995e-4b37-84b2-d7fcdf8078a0">Re: Cake Tasting Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So you didn't specify ahead of time what flavors you wanted to try? I am asking because we are pretty sure that we want one of our flavors (we want to do two) to be pumpkin w/ cream cheese frosting. It seems almost a bit silly to me to NOT try their version of pumpkin before hand if we already know that's what we want. 
    Posted by lvayner[/QUOTE]

<div>If you do not know for certain that they offer something you specifically want then yes, you should call ahead. When I went to my tasting this is what they gave us to sample:</div><div>
    </div><div>Cake: French Vanilla, Devil's Food, Almond Butter, Strawberry, Red Velvet, and Carrot</div><div>
    </div><div>Icings/Fillings: Caramel, Chocolate Buttercream, Amaretto Buttercream, Lemon, Chocolate Fudge, Strawberry Preserves, Rsapberry Preserves, Blueberry Preserves, and Strawberry Mousse.</div><div>
    </div><div>I didn't call ahead - but I didn't have anything specific I was looking for. I am doing cupcakes and pretty much just wanted something chocolate and something vanilla. </div>
  • edited April 2012
    My fiance and I are using Not A Crumb! Esquisite Cakes ( <--Link)

Christine is AMAZING and we absolutely love her! She makes her cakes right from her home.

She'll give you a questionaire about what cake flavors you two love and type of fillings, as well as favorite fruits, etc. She'll make the cake flavors and sets the fillings to the sides. She does this so you can mix and match the different cakes with fillings. It is truly awesome.

These are the the combinations we came up with for our cake...
    Bottom Tier: Chocolate with cream cheese
    Middle Tier:  Vanilla with cherry
    Top Tier:        Red Velvet with oreo cookie.

You should really check her out... and her prices are great!
  • Ok, thanks!
  • I'm getting my cake from Kalonji Bakery in Stone Mountain Village, her cakes are so amazing i've been a fan for years. She is classically trained from Europe so I know whatever we choose (which is the hardest part) will be good.
  • lvaynerlvayner member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Has anyone tried O'How Sweet! for their wedding cake?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards