Jewish Weddings

Wedding Songs

Hi all! 

I'm picking up the pace on wedding details as my August wedding will be here sooner than I think. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what songs I want to play before the ceremony. Here are some of my favorites: Erev Shel Shoshanim, Dodi Li and Chorshat Haekalyptus.

I wanted to throw it out there and see what others have used since I don't think it's enough for both the prelude and processional. 

Thanks and Shabbat Shalom!

Re: Wedding Songs

• LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you say Prelude, do you mean while guests are being seated?  I have no idea what was played then.  My bridal party walked in to Erev Shel Shoshnim and I walked in and circled to Yerushalayim Shel Za'hav.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    in addition to erev shel shoshanim and dodi li, we also used y'did nefesh.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • rivkahstein1rivkahstein1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am walking down to Erev Shel shoshanaim and the bridal party and Fi are walking down to al kol aliah.
  • edited December 2011
    Here's our music selection:

Prelude
    Yerushalayim Shel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold)
    Shalom Chaverim (Welcome, Friends)
    Eshet Chayil (Woman of Valor)
    Sunrise, Sunset (Fiddler on the Roof)
    Oseh Shalom (He Who Brings Peace)

Processional

Family Seating
    Erev Ba (Evening Come)

Groomsmen
    Yedid Nefesh(Beloved of the Soul)

Chatan
    Kol Dodi (Voice of My Beloved)

Bridesmaids
    Erev Shel Shoshanim (Evening of Roses)

Kallah
    Dodi Li (My Beloved)

Recessional
    Siman Tov (Good Fortune)
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am still working on some of the music for our ceremony. I am trying to incorporate from both sides (Ashkenazic and Sephardic so everyone will feel happy. I am also certain that most of our non-Jewish friends will be amazed that I do not walk to "Here Comes the Bride".
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Jeni, you may already know that "Here Comes The Bride" is frowned upon at Jewish weddings because Wagner, the composer of that piece, was openly anit-Semitic.

• edited December 2011
    Are you doing a DJ or band for the wedding? My FI and I love Idan Raichel so we are having a lot of their music played before the cermony begins. We are also planning Hanava Babanot.
    September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Picture Of Your Engagement Ring
    From Wedding Website Slide Show
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Website
  • edited December 2011
    Because we have having a good mix of folks, and most (including Jews) aren't very familiar with a lot of Jewish songs, we are mixing things up.  We are having a trio, so they are going to play a blend of classical and Jewish pieces (many already mentioned above).  The rabbi will also walk down to Jewish music, but after that, we are using popular music - for groom, party, and bride - and then ending the festivities with Simon Tov.

Doing that is more true to who we are then if we just incorporated all Jewish music when we never really listen to any...
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL! I know about Wagner...hence why I would never consider using the song. I just meant that a lot of our friends are not Jewish; so they may be surprised. I got into an argument with my FMIL about Wagner and what an anti-semite he was...some days you cannot win! 
    That being said, I've only finalized some of our music choices. This is where I think FI and I have to agree and will come with some thought. Btw, for our first dance, we are thinking of dancing to a song I wrote (FI and I worked on the music together). Do you think that's corny? The lyrics talk about the man that I see; but maybe that is not a good first dance song...
  • edited December 2011
    wow!  I have a friend who is going to play the piano so it will be low key. thanks for all of your help!
  • edited December 2011
    I think dancing to a song you wrote/arranged is far from corny...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards