Not Engaged Yet

Colorado Wildfires

I just wanted to ask that everyone take a moment to pray or send well wishes to those affected by all the wildfires here in Colorado right now. FI and I are out of harms way, but we know so many couples who are much closer to all the devastation. There are 11 fires right now going on in the state. Thanks to 5 straight days of temps over 100, high winds and very little rain...these fires are burning out of control.

FI's brother lives in Ft Collins close to the High Park fire. They don't have AC and opening windows really isn't an option with all of the smoke and ash. Deanna (Lunarsongbird) said she could see the flames of the Waldo Canyon Fire from her office building yesterday...that's FLAMES, not smoke.

Hundreds of people are being evacuated from their homes. Wildlife is fleeing from the fires into local neighborhoods. Shelters are not accepting evacuees any longer because they are full.

It makes me terribly sad. Not only are our beautiful landscapes being destroyed...these fires will impact out state for years to come. Our tourism industry will be harmed, people are losing their homes, the local wildlife is loosing it's habitat.

I know there are also many other fires going on right now in other states as well. I just wanted to take a minute to pray for all those impacted. Thanks ladies!

Re: Colorado Wildfires

• So scary I have a friend who lives around the colorado springs area, so I've been getting updates from her as well.

I hope everything is ok, and will continue to pray that these fires end soon and no more damage is done.

Anniversary

• CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    DH's whole family lives in CO (in the front range area) as well as many of his friends. It is breaking my heart to hear all the news and see the photos. We are hoping to make our home in Ft. Collins some day. He keeps saying to me "I can't believe all the places I used to camp and hike in college and as a kid are being destroyed." I am wishing for rain as hard as I can. . . hopefully it comes soon. 
  • I was going to make this post this morning. I'm glad you did Allusive. I feel for your FI's brother in Fort Collins. The smoke is bad in Greeley but it's only really bad on windy days. And I heard 30,000 people were evacuated from Colorado Springs this morning :(

• This is so scary. Praying for everyone's safety and for rain!
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• He keeps saying to me "I can't believe all the places I used to camp and hike in college and as a kid are being destroyed."- Cschiano
    I keep thinking about this too! The pain from these fires will sting for years to come.

I was going to make this post this morning
    . - Bethsmiles
    I'm so glad you and your loved ones are save Beth. You were on my
    mind last night.

Thanks for all the well-wishes and prayers everyone. We are supposed to get back down to the high 90's the rest of the week, but I don't think any rain is in the forecast. hopefully at least the winds will die down and give our firefighters a fighting chance!
  • I hope these fires get under control soon, and my thoughts are with you and your families, Beth and Allusive!
    My cousin lives in Colorado, hopefully it gets no closer to where shes at.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Praying for everyone involved. I could not imagine something like that. wow.

• I didn't know this is was going on.  I'll be praying and for the men and women working these fires too.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• High temps, wind, and all those dead trees due to the dumb pine beetle is just a huge recipe for fires. I hope it starts to rain a ton! Or at least cool down or the winds die.
    Sending my prayers to Co!!
    My whole family is still in Co in the Denver metro area so they are mostly safe.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited June 2012
    So heart-wrenching. I'm praying for miracle rain. I hope you are okay, Deanna. <3
    5/27/12
  • I do hope everyone stays safe, but I disagree about the devastation.

Fire is a natural cycle.  There are some trees that actually will not germinate until a fire comes through.  By clearing a forest habitat, you make way to watch new growth come in - plants that normally wouldn't live because there isn't enough light on the forest floor.  It's a part of nature.

These happen every year.  As scary as they are, I think we all need to take a step back and realize that they're just as much a part of life as rain.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thinking of you guys! 

• edited June 2012
    I'm from Colorado.. I just moved a few months ago.  The wildfires do happen every season, but I've never seen anything quite like this.

Being able to see smoke from the cities is usually pretty normal, but being able to see the flames in Colorado Springs is really scary.

PitaPata Cat tickers
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_colorado-wildfires?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:faf6501d-d37f-4791-9464-783a47f650a5Post:fb3bd20b-634e-46b7-bd0c-b734c7543a7a">Re: Colorado Wildfires</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do hope everyone stays safe, but I disagree about the devastation. Fire is a natural cycle.  There are some trees that actually will not germinate until a fire comes through.  By clearing a forest habitat, you make way to watch new growth come in - plants that normally wouldn't live because there isn't enough light on the forest floor.  It's a part of nature. These happen every year.  As scary as they are, I think we all need to take a step back and realize that they're just as much a part of life as rain.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]
    This is completely true. And my husband and I have talked about how it is a necessary part of nature's process. But it still stings knowing that areas you loved won't ever be the same in your lifetime. 
  • Praying for all! BF's family is in Ft Collins right by CSU and I keep checking on them. We are going there July 10th and I know BF is going to be very sad at how much has been destroyed when he sees it on person.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP#1 4/9/12- EDD 12/22/12- M/MC at 9w4d 5/23/12.
    BFP#2 12/18/12- EDD 8/31/13 First U/S- 6w4d HB 124! Second U/S- 10w2d HB 178!! Grow baby, grow! NT Scan Scheduled for 2/20/13.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_colorado-wildfires?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:faf6501d-d37f-4791-9464-783a47f650a5Post:fb3bd20b-634e-46b7-bd0c-b734c7543a7a">Re: Colorado Wildfires</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do hope everyone stays safe, but I disagree about the devastation. Fire is a natural cycle.  There are some trees that actually will not germinate until a fire comes through.  By clearing a forest habitat, you make way to watch new growth come in - plants that normally wouldn't live because there isn't enough light on the forest floor.  It's a part of nature. These happen every year.  As scary as they are, I think we all need to take a step back and realize that they're just as much a part of life as rain.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

I completely understand that this is a natural part of the forest lifecycle. Trust me, living in Colorado...you're pretty accustomed to forest fires. The reason for my post is because these fires are beyond what we normally see. With all of the pine beetle kill and the drought is this a surprise? No. Is it still a very real, very devastating threat to many homes and people? Absolutely.

Just because you understand that fires are a natural phenomenon doesn't mean you can't have sympathy for the people who actually live here and are facing them on a daily basis right now. It's kind of like telling people who live in tornado alley that they should move if they don't like it. This is our home...and it's devastating whether it's a natural part of life or not.
  • I agree with Allusive on this. It may be a part of life but it's a part of life that is incredibly scary and devestating to those facing being evacuated or losing their homes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards