Illinois-Chicago

Minor WR disaster- need caterer and DOC recs!

Hi girls!

We booked our caterer last summer for our August 14, 2010 wedding and the services of the catering manager also included DOC coordination services for everything at the reception venue. Being OOT, we had already done our tasting and picked our linens/menu. Well, last night I got an email stating the restaurant catering our wedding has closed and we may not even get our deposit back. Our reception venue has a list of approved caterers who I have begun contacting again with some success regarding the date. Does anyone have experience with J and L catering or catered by design?

We are also now considering having to hire a DOC. Any recs?

Thanks so much!!

Re: Minor WR disaster- need caterer and DOC recs!

• edited December 2011
    Oh my.  I'm so sorry this happened.  We are using J&L for our August wedding.  So far they have been wonderful.  Our contact there is Rachel.  The food is amazing and they treated us like royalty at our tasting.  My mom has been the main one talking to Rachel, but she is always very responsive and has helped us with recommendations for other vendors.  

Good luck!
    Married!!
  • edited December 2011
    I used Simply Perfect by Melissa and loved her...you can try her for a DOC.

I went to a wedding with Catered by Design and the food was good...nothing over the top, but also not horrible.

Sorry to hear about your catering troubles...ugh!
  • edited December 2011
    I hired Anthony Navarro from Liven It Up Events.  He's awesome!  Even though he's only doing DOC, he's available for email support, vendor recommendations, and other help. He could probably point you in the right direction with caterers too.  
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely! I found my DOC off of recs off The Knot and was definitely not disappointed. I'm sure she could give you some catering recs and help you with this whole situation too becuase she helped us with a lot leading up to the wedding too. Good luck and I'm so sorry that happened! Here's her info:
    Shannon from Shannon Gail Weddings
    www.shannongail.com
    GOOD LUCK!
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Catered by Design for our wedding in July - my uncle had them cater a huge party that he had, and the food was amazing. We're working with the owner, Sam. When we first booked with them (last summer), they had us go to a group tasting. My mom, fiance, and fiance's dad loved the food, and said they're going to have a really tough time deciding what food to have at the reception, because they liked everything.

Good luck!

231 Invited image 150 Attending image 81 Declined image 0 Have not replied image
    RSVP Date - June 24, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    I worked for a linen co for a couple of years.  I had to deal with alot of different caterers and also got to try their food.  Catered by design is great you should also try heller catering, hel's kitchen, or my chef.  These were my favorite clients and they are all so nice to work with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards