Nevada-Las Vegas

How far in advance did you send your invites?

I know a lot of people say between 6-8 weeks but what if you have a lot of out of state guests (I have a few family members in the Virgin Islands as well)? I know a lot of our guests told us once we book a venue to let them know as soon as possible so they can decide where they're going to stay and start saving money for flights etc. I don't want to send them way too early but at the same time I want to give people enough time to be able to take off work if needed, buy plane tickets (a lot of our family is on the east coast), and things like that.

ETA: Yes we already sent out save the dates. :)

Re: How far in advance did you send your invites?

• Chele06Chele06 member
    First Comment
    6-8 weeks is the norm but you also need to consider how soon your caterer needs to know your head count. Our wedding is a June 28th and our reception place needs the final headcount a month in advance. Our invitations went out about a week and a half ago with the RSVP date of May 18th. We wanted to make sure that we have time to call people just in case they don't send them back. So far no one in FI family has sent theirs back so I'm sure we'll have to track them down.
    image 100Made the cut!
    image 63 Are ready to party in Vegas!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 7 me crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I sent mine to all the people who don't live here 3 months before
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I sent ours WAY early.  We are getting married in early October and I sent them in mid-April (we did not do save the dates - just lots of word of moth). 
    http://angieandchris.weebly.com/ Wedding Countdown Ticker image119 Dealt!
    image 40 Are All In!
    image 51 Had to fold!
    image 28 Are Holding Out For their Turn!
  • We sent ours March 1 with a due date of April 15th.  I sort of wish we'd waited, but we didn't have much of a choice since I'm going out of town for the two weeks leading up to the wedding.  (Plus we wanted to give our out-of-country guests enough turn-around time, since mail usually takes a couple weeks.)
  • VireydaVireyda member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    I sent my save the dates a little more than 11 months ahead of time, but I probably won't send the invitations until the end of December, about three months out from the actual wedding date in March 2013.  We're doing a destination wedding and wanted to give our guests as much advance notice as possible on everything.
  • Thank you everyone. I think I'll probably send them out about 10 weeks in advance just to be on the safe side.
  • We sent our STD's about 9 or 10 months out as soon as I had completed our wedding website with all the resort info, where to stay, coupon codes etc.  This ensured everyone would have plenty of time to book travel and hotel at their leisure since vegas prices can fluctuate dramatically from one month to the next.

We sent invites I think about six months out and gave everyone a long two month rsvp time.  I think early was good because a lot of guests booked at that point and saved a ton of money over those that waited.

We had about 110 guests show out of 125 invited, mostly from Florida.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Did u have any issues with getting the rsvp's back with the long time frame? I am not doing std's and would like to send our invitations out early but not sure how far is too far in advance. But I like that you did 6 mos!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_how-far-in-advance-did-you-send-your-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:cd0118fa-9e02-4925-9d63-253f6a0b1429Post:470bf015-b60f-4c09-9f43-f3bc95ddc718">Re: How far in advance did you send your invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We sent our STD's about 9 or 10 months out as soon as I had completed our wedding website with all the resort info, where to stay, coupon codes etc.  This ensured everyone would have plenty of time to book travel and hotel at their leisure since vegas prices can fluctuate dramatically from one month to the next. We sent invites I think about six months out and gave everyone a long two month rsvp time.  I think early was good because a lot of guests booked at that point and saved a ton of money over those that waited. We had about 110 guests show out of 125 invited, mostly from Florida.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

<div>This is exactly why I kind of want to send them earlier so that people can get better deals now even though it can change. I'd rather my guests have more than enough time to plan for it than not enough. Especially since some don't have HUGE budgets for traveling.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_how-far-in-advance-did-you-send-your-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:cd0118fa-9e02-4925-9d63-253f6a0b1429Post:58347e1d-95af-4849-b8fc-1a7d804ecf9c">Re:How far in advance did you send your invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did u have any issues with getting the rsvp's back with the long time frame? I am not doing std's and would like to send our invitations out early but not sure how far is too far in advance. But I like that you did 6 mos!!!
    Posted by Kjd3526[/QUOTE]

Nope, out of 125 invites we probably had less than ten that had to be called and reminded.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Just as a warning - some people won't book anything until they see actual invites.  Some won't even book then!  100% of our guests didn't book until after they got invites (even though we sent STDs), and we even had guests book TODAY.  (!!!)  Don't be surprised if people wait until the last minute, even if they have plenty of time to plan.
  • jmp2004jmp2004 member
    First Comment
    I sent mine out today for my August wedding.  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_how-far-in-advance-did-you-send-your-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:cd0118fa-9e02-4925-9d63-253f6a0b1429Post:58347e1d-95af-4849-b8fc-1a7d804ecf9c">Re:How far in advance did you send your invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did u have any issues with getting the rsvp's back with the long time frame? I am not doing std's and would like to send our invitations out early but not sure how far is too far in advance. But I like that you did 6 mos!!!
    Posted by Kjd3526[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm not sure if this was directed towards me but knock on wood RSVP's have been coming in every day.  We mailed invited in early/mid April with a May 15th rsvp date.  I'm guessing that there will still be some coming in late May but that's ok.

</div>
    http://angieandchris.weebly.com/ Wedding Countdown Ticker image119 Dealt!
    image 40 Are All In!
    image 51 Had to fold!
    image 28 Are Holding Out For their Turn!
  • We're sending our STDs right after Christmas (so they don't get lost in the Christmas card shuffle). That will give everyone about nine months to buy tickets and reserve hotels.

Our wedding is October 26, so we're sending our invitations in July. My family is super weird about invitation timing. If a wedding is coming up, and they don't have an invitation at the three-month mark, they get panicky. 

I think it's because STDs are a relatively new thing, and wedding invitations used to BE the STD. I remember my parents getting wedding invitations six months in advance when I was a kid/teenager. Even now, my mom is always like, "We got this postcard in the mail about their wedding, but I don't understand why. It doesn't say anything. What church? What reception hall? I don't get it." Heh.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_how-far-in-advance-did-you-send-your-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:cd0118fa-9e02-4925-9d63-253f6a0b1429Post:272195da-4189-46c8-b4c2-02ac4a3c73dd">Re: How far in advance did you send your invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're sending our STDs right after Christmas (so they don't get lost in the Christmas card shuffle). That will give everyone about nine months to buy tickets and reserve hotels. Our wedding is October 26, so we're sending our invitations in July. My family is super weird about invitation timing. If a wedding is coming up, and they don't have an invitation at the three-month mark, they get panicky.  I think it's because STDs are a relatively new thing, and wedding invitations used to BE the STD. I remember my parents getting wedding invitations six months in advance when I was a kid/teenager. Even now, my mom is always like, "We got this postcard in the mail about their wedding, but I don't understand why. It doesn't say anything. What church? What reception hall? I don't get it." Heh.
    Posted by wrigleyville[/QUOTE]

<div>Lol yeah my mom thought our STDs were invites. She's like "where is all the info at?" haha</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_how-far-in-advance-did-you-send-your-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:cd0118fa-9e02-4925-9d63-253f6a0b1429Post:4746c3a5-e376-449e-90af-fb076f956670">Re: How far in advance did you send your invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How far in advance did you send your invites? : Lol yeah my mom thought our STDs were invites. She's like "where is all the info at?" haha
    Posted by petitmonstree[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm afraid of! But I like the idea of STDs to give everyone a heads up, so I'm sending them anyway!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_how-far-in-advance-did-you-send-your-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:cd0118fa-9e02-4925-9d63-253f6a0b1429Post:cd635b13-b70d-4249-89ff-f55a4ab54a88">Re: How far in advance did you send your invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How far in advance did you send your invites? : This is what I'm afraid of! But I like the idea of STDs to give everyone a heads up, so I'm sending them anyway!
    Posted by Pnutbutr[/QUOTE]
    Oh, definitely. I think STDs are pretty much mandatory when you're having a DW (or a holiday weekend wedding). It gives everyone so much more time to plan and look for deals.
  • MarfootMarfoot member
    First Comment
    Our wedding is on May 20th and we sent our invites out mid October of 2011. There was word of mouth that we were going to Vegas but we wanted everyone to have plenty of time to save money, book flights, etc. Flights from Toronto can be crazy expensive unless you find really good deals or do the whole connecting or red eye flights...  yuck.

We didn't do STD's because we sent our invites out far enough in advance. We invited 84 and 44 are coming.  We had about 15 people take a few days - up to a week after the RSVP date to let us know... that was annoying.. but I set the RSVP date for Feb 1 so it gave me loads of time to figure out for catering, etc.
  • We're sending our STD out in June and our wedding is April of next year...I would appreciate a big heads up so I hope this helps our guests ;)
    Samantha Michelle www.KeepMeBlushing.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards