Wedding Etiquette Forum

Talk to me people...Night Thread

Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:913f2a01-1174-4124-a38d-6d9cb34fb679">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : You mean you wouldn't want to live under total authority of your father and then be "transferred" to your husband's authority when married? WEIRD!
    Posted by starrynight84[/QUOTE]

<div>Fl would demand my weight in steaks as a dowry :)</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:c3bb1740-576e-4dc1-bee3-8cef4d5a0994">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Angel, I've just been popping tons of ibuprofen since 4 am.  I used to start taking some a day or two before my periods when I was on the pill but of course I knew when that would be. I was relying too much on my period tracker app; it was saying I'm due to start at the end of the week.
    Posted by tracym77[/QUOTE]

I generally get mild cramps a day or two ahead of time, so I know when it's coming. I got them starting on Sunday or Monday so I knew it was on it's way and sure enough, it arrived an hour ago. Joy.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:be065844-98c3-487a-bbac-3775e2585768">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Soren. :) He was almost named Thor and after my parents told him that, he got super pissed because he was like "You almost named me after the fucking God of Thunder and then DIDNT!"
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

<div>I love your brother for saying that.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:dd580fc3-3675-434c-8880-ca83b21bfe84">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE SOREN. Good and scandinavian!! :)
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah we're Brita, Kai, and Soren. Not at all Scandinavian. ;)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:6c49d0f5-d729-4d69-9e59-7848445a9aaf">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love the Duggars.  I think they're whack as fuuuck, but I have mad respect for anyone that can raise that many bugging kids without government assistance programs and shiiiit.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>They evade taxes on their house by claiming it is a church. So, yeah. I don't think they quite play it fair. </div><div>
    </div><div>Plus they used to only have three tiny bedrooms, two bathrooms, fifteen kids and two parents. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:6c49d0f5-d729-4d69-9e59-7848445a9aaf">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love the Duggars.  I think they're whack as fuuuck, but I have mad respect for anyone that can raise that many bugging kids without government assistance programs and shiiiit.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I heard somewhere that they had their house declared to be a church so they don't have to pay taxes on it. I don't know if that is true or not, but if so that is wicked sneaky.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:2d42fff9-e54a-41b0-9bf5-d60902dbf934">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : I love your brother for saying that.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, I know! You have to picture it as a 6'5, 15 year old linebacker sized kid too. Because really, Thor would've fit him perfectly due to his stature.</div>
  • I mean, I have no desire to grow humans right now, but naming one seems like a daunting task.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I like the nickname Rory. Friends off.

I liked the name Emma before it became popular. I love names from Jane Austen books - Darcy, Emma, Jane, Elizabeth.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:c3bb1740-576e-4dc1-bee3-8cef4d5a0994">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Angel, I've just been popping tons of ibuprofen since 4 am.  I used to start taking some a day or two before my periods when I was on the pill but of course I knew when that would be. I was relying too much on my period tracker app; it was saying I'm due to start at the end of the week.
    Posted by tracym77[/QUOTE]

<div>I always use to know when my period was coming because I'd get a twinge of back pain the day before, so I'd start my advil popping then. It became much more regular after a while, but in case I forgot that back pain kind of helped haha.</div>
  • I love all of those name, Brita. Love.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:be065844-98c3-487a-bbac-3775e2585768">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Soren. :) He was almost named Thor and after my parents told him that, he got super pissed because he was like "You almost named me after the fucking God of Thunder and then DIDNT!"
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

I feel like we've talked about this before, but I went to college with a Soren. We called him Buddah though.
  • Angel - I have a little bump, but mostly I just look like I'm fat and can't suck it in anymore.  I've only gained 3 lbs (which is absolutely fine for this point) it's just all shifted around.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:6a2821df-792a-4dcf-aab4-1d6e8ec6bcf1">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : I heard somewhere that they had their house declared to be a church so they don't have to pay taxes on it. I don't know if that is true or not, but if so that is wicked sneaky.
    Posted by mjmchugh86[/QUOTE]

<div>It's true. I can't even stomach pretending to have respect for them because of the way they treat their daughters. </div>
  • But IS their house a church?  I mean, if it meets the requirements (I assume it requires being used for ministration to so many people or something), I have no issue with that.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • My MIL named DH  John David.

Then named BIL  David John

Yeah, I often wonder about her.  My aunt named her daughter after her and the son after her husband.  Very confusing.

My other aunt HATES juniors.   Refused to name any of her 3 sons her husband's name. She has only 5 grandsons and everyone of them is a junior.  Not only that she has a son Micheal and a SIL named Michael.   Not one of them is called by their middle name.      It's so confusing.

*** DH name has been changed.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Naming the spawn was the second hardest part of spawning. We went through like eleven billion names before deciding on a Junior.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My mom's sister (I don't refer to her as my "aunt" lol) and her ex-H were "M & M" so of course all 6 or 7 of their kids' names started with M. Because it's cute? I don't get it. One of the craziest families I have ever known of.
    imageAnniversary
  • I don't have a ton of first names I like for girls. For boys, though I like first names that sound like last names. Harrison, Truman, things like that. Harrison is my #1 boy name.
  • Actually - this name discussion has prompted me to add a few to my lists. 
  • Thanks Fish. :) I quite like them all as well. People always hear them and go "Hmm well those are different..." but I like them that way. 

Sorry Petal! I think my hatred for Gilmore Girls is why I hate that nickname, lol. 

MK-- Lol why the nickname Buddah? 
  • My body is a temple. I'm not paying any taxes on myself. Now, pass the damn rum.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:29306368-5979-4a5a-9701-143c12d6532b">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : It's true. I can't even stomach pretending to have respect for them because of the way they treat their daughters. 

How DO they treat their daughters? I actually don't know anything about them besides the fact that they have a trillion kids.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:29306368-5979-4a5a-9701-143c12d6532b">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : It's true. I can't even stomach pretending to have respect for them because of the way they treat their daughters. 

I've never watched the show so I can't be sure, but from what I've read, the "way they treat their daughters" is pretty typical of their religion.  It's not for me, I don't understand it, I would hate it if were me, but that's how things work for them.  I think it's weird, but I would not condemn them for it.  It's not like they're beating them and starving them and using them for slave labor.

• I like Hannah, Madelyn and Emma for girls. I like Ryan and Alexander for a boy. FI likes Jackson. I don't know how I feel about it.
  • Ok, if this is turning into a "what are we going to name our crotch droppings" discussion, I'm out.

• Those are cool names, Musu!
    imageAnniversary
  • I love Harrison. Then fell in love with dexter. I still love the name, but I think people would think it was after dexter. I love the names Liam and Henry. But my Liam is a Liam, so that leaves Henry.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Kai is such a great name too! MuSu your parents win the award for best naming abilities.

• I like Harrison. For a boy we are most likely going to go with Michael Gabriel. I also like Jillian and Alexis for girls.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards