Wedding Etiquette Forum

White reader dress

Please help!  My two girlfriends recently 'informed' me about their dresses!  One is a reader and her new dress is long and cream!  Another guest wants to wear a white dress!  What do I do!!! HELP!

Re: White reader dress

• Do they in any way resemble bridal gowns? Is your dress simple? For example, are you wearing a smooth, tea length dress? Or are you wearing a long train with beads or ruching or lace? Unless your dress is fairly simple, no one will mistake these two people for the bride. People at your wedding will just look at them and think they are silly for wearing white to a wedding. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Not be a troll?
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_white-reader-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9e1e00b2-d7fd-402f-915e-f9e56263ed1dPost:7a78d66c-6b46-4d8c-8a3c-24d1dadfd487">White reader dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please help!  My two girlfriends recently 'informed' me about their dresses!  One is a reader and her new dress is long and cream!  Another guest wants to wear a white dress!  What do I do!!! HELP!
    Posted by Parker98[/QUOTE]

<div>You calm down and realize it's not a big deal.</div><div>
    </div><div>It's not going to detract any attention from you as the bride if anyone else wears white.  It can be considered poor etiquette, yes, but that reflects poorly on THEM, not YOU.  You will just come across as a bridezilla if you tell them not to wear it.  </div>
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Are they bridesmaids or just friends coming to your wedding? If they are just friends coming to the wedding then you need to inform them on proper etiquette & how only the bride wears white or a light color. Maybe they don't even realize it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's rude on their part to wear white, but it would be even more rude of you to try to dictate what they wear. No one is gonna be confused about which one is the bride. Let it go.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • ricksangricksang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010

Although wearing white to a wedding is kind of a no no, you really can't tell people what to wear. Do you want your reader to wearthe same colors as your BMs? FWIW, all my BMs wore white dresses.

• Sucrets- my thought exactly.
  • I think you need to calm down.  Nobody is going to mistake them for the bride.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_white-reader-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9e1e00b2-d7fd-402f-915e-f9e56263ed1dPost:6bfd08dd-ff7e-4be5-be04-bbe891c3e7ed">Re: White reader dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are they bridesmaids or just friends coming to your wedding? If they are just friends coming to the wedding then you need to inform them on proper etiquette & how only the bride wears white or a light color. Maybe they don't even realize it.
    Posted by Midgetth[/QUOTE]

No, you do not.
  • While all the PPs are correct, if that happened to me I wouldn't be able to refrain from a well placed "really?  You're wearing white to my wedding?"  But then again if they were close enough to do a reading for me, they'd be close enough to take my sarcasm for what it is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_white-reader-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9e1e00b2-d7fd-402f-915e-f9e56263ed1dPost:4e031f76-ec9d-43b3-a2c0-dca7f2ee982e">Re: White reader dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]While all the PPs are correct, if that happened to me I wouldn't be able to refrain from a well placed "really?  You're wearing white to my wedding?"  But then again<strong> if they were close enough to do a reading for me, they'd be close enough to take my sarcasm for what it is.</strong>
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]
    This. The reader would honestly bug me. The guest? who cares. I still wouldn't say anything though.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_white-reader-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9e1e00b2-d7fd-402f-915e-f9e56263ed1dPost:48e7ae56-a057-4901-8b7e-b9073b047ad3">Re: White reader dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do they in any way resemble bridal gowns? Is your dress simple? For example, are you wearing a smooth, tea length dress? Or are you wearing a long train with beads or ruching or lace? Unless your dress is fairly simple, no one will mistake these two people for the bride. People at your wedding will just look at them and think they are silly for wearing white to a wedding. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Posted by lauralaur[/QUOTE]

<div>See, I don't think it's about "looking like the bride." No, obviously no one will confuse them. It's about respect and knowing etiquette. That said, you also can't point out someone's etiquette faux pas, because that would be rude. So OP, all you can really do it suck it up. </div><div>
    </div><div>If it were a REALLY close friend and she said she was wearing white I would say, "Really? To a wedding?" But you can't revisit that conversation now.</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I went to a wedding yesterday where one of the guests wore a long pure white gown. It did resemble the bride's gown (which was simple). There were times when I was looking around the room and thought I saw the bride, only it was that one guest.  I really did mistake the guest for the bride!!  How rude was that?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_white-reader-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9e1e00b2-d7fd-402f-915e-f9e56263ed1dPost:3b8499b4-4b31-4a9d-85dd-386d801e57b4">Re: White reader dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not be a troll?
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

This. Come on now.
  • Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
  • well, my niece wore a white dress to her cousin's wedding and was late so she felt she had to run up the side aisel and sit in the front row with FOB & me.

Yes, many people commented but my daughter didn't even notice until one of her friends told her about it much later.

She was also dirty dancing with her father & brother  at the reception which I considered far more inappropriate!
  • edited June 2010
    I wouldn't have a clue if anyone wore white or cream to my wedding. I don't really understand the drama (even in non-troll cases); it's not as though they're wearing a tiara and attempting to walk down the aisle with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards