Military Brides

Air Force Engagement

My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting married for a while now, but are waiting to get engaged so that we aren't engaged for years. How do I plan a wedding while finishing school and while he is in AFROTC? He doesn't have a whole lot of information about future plans after graduation.

Re: Air Force Engagement

• edited December 2011
    Is he trying to get a Pilot Spot?
  • bluebug1726bluebug1726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes he is. He really wants the Pilot spot but he's also considering some other jobs as well in the Special Ops side of things.
  • edited December 2011
    Well if he does get a Pilot Spot then he will get a date that he will report to UPT. My FI went to the USAFA so he was given 60 day leave between graduation and UPT. Although he may not start right away they still have to report. My FI didn't start training until Nov. but was there in Aug doing odd jobs.  My University had ROTC and some didn't have to report until Nov after May Graduation so they got a little longer.
    It depends heavily on what UPT location he gets (Vance, AFB, Columbus AFB or Tx.).... Ask him to check when he finds our if he gets a spot. It should be soon. Then you will have a better idea of how to plan.

I can tell you that planning a wedding during UPT is as close to impossible you can get. The best bet IMO is to plan for next Christmas or long holiday break. (FI got a week and half during last Xmas)... he will not be able to take leave during UPT unless he is willing to get pushed back to the next class.

FI is wishing we got married over his 60 leave -- He is really stressed as UPT is extremely demanding and he wishes I was there to help. But if you do before be prepared to spend 90% of your time alone. He will get up sometimes at 4 AM get back in time for Dinner maybe hit the Gym and start studying and preparing for the next days flights/duties.

If he doesn't get a spot I don't know what to tell you. LoL My experience has only been with him starting at USAFA and then getting the Pilot Spot.

Best of Luck and if you have any more questions PM me :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's so helpful thank you so much!! It's really great to hear from other people who have been in the same spot. :)
  • edited December 2011
    NO Problem! :)
  • apham126apham126 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! My FI is in UPT at Columbus AFB and he is about midway (or midphase) through his training. I have had plenty of friends who got married (either just legally and then had a real wedding or the traditional wedding) and they planned everything while in school. Since he is in Air Force, consider having the Arch of Sabers, it's a really great touch and a wonderful tradition. His ROTC cadre could help with that! Hopefully he will get that pilot slot!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_air-force-engagement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:f6d2ae08-abb4-4729-9e4e-cccf42c7a11aPost:60e28845-7c72-4f83-b65e-f8457e83b57b">Re: Air Force Engagement</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! My FI is in UPT at Columbus AFB and he is about midway (or midphase) through his training. I have had plenty of friends who got married (either just legally and then had a real wedding or the traditional wedding) and they planned everything while in school. Since he is in Air Force, consider having the Arch of Sabers, it's a really great touch and a wonderful tradition. His ROTC cadre could help with that! Hopefully he will get that pilot slot!
    Posted by apham126[/QUOTE]

<font color="#800080">Yes I'm definitely praying for that Pilot spot! I was thinking about the Arch of Sabers. Who do you get to do that? That's really encouraging to hear that this can be done! I find myself planning more than studying and I'm not even officially engaged yet. But I figured that it can't hurt to be prepared early (there's a ton to think about!) Congratulations on your engagement! When is the date? :)</font>
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have another question for all of you helpful brides out there! If the groomsmen are also in the Air Force, would it be proper ettiquete for them to wear their uniforms as well? Or should they just wear a tux?
  • edited December 2011
    They can definately wear their mess dress and I think it looks very nice! It gives it a unique and special feel, and definately do the sabre arch. When you set up a date through the Chapel, you will be given a coordinator and they can tell you  everything you need to know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards