Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cupcake Recipe

This question may belong in the diy but i figure i could ask anways.
Anyone have any yummy homemade cupcake/ cake recipes :) 
Ideas are welcomed too.
I was thinking at first one batch vanilla another batch orange flavor. I know weird flavor.Laughing

Re: Cupcake Recipe

• I have a recipe for creamsicle cupcakes.  I also have a vanilla buttermilk recipe.

• Creamsicle Cupcakes

For the cupcakes:
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. butter
    2 eggs
    2 tbsp. vanilla extract
    1 1/2 c. flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 c. low fat milk
    cream together butter and sugar
    add eggs, one at a time, mix thoroughly
    add vanilla and baking powder, mix thoroughly
    add flour
    add milk
    pour into cupcake pan lined with cupcake liners
    bake at 350 for 15-22 minutes, or until just beginning to brown
    allow to cool completely

For the Buttercream:
    1/4 c. butter
    1/4 c. shortening
    3 c. powdered sugar
    1 tbsp orange zest
    3 to 5 tbsp orange juice
    1 vanilla bean, split and beans scraped out for use
    food coloring – red and yellow, or orange

Cream butter and shortening together and add 2 – 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, along with zest and vanilla bean scrapings add additional sugar and then thin out to the desired consistency with the orange juice, starting with 2 tablespoons, adding one more tablespoon each time (up to a total of 5 tablespoons) and thoroughly blend in. Add food coloring a bit at a time until you reach the desired color. I used liquid coloring and used 12 drops of red and 15 drops of yellow to achieve the orange color I got. You could use a paste or gel in orange if you desire. Fill a pastry bag with a large star tip (I used Wilton tip 1M) and pipe in a circular motion on top of the cupcake, starting from the outside, moving in toward the center.
    Yield: One dozen cupcakes

• Vanilla Buttermilk Cupcakes

1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 cup sugar
    ¼ cup butter, room temperature
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    ¼ tsp almond extract
    1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350F. Place liners in a 12 cup muffin tin.
    In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
    In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until it looks creamy. Beat in the egg and the vanilla and almond extracts until mixture is smooth.
    Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until almost combined. Add buttermilk and stir, again, until almost combined. Add the rest of the flour and stir until all ingredients are mixed in.
    Divide batter evenly into muffin cups.
    Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350F, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
    Let cupcakes cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the muffin pan. Cool completely before frosting.

Makes 12 cupcakes

• I know you didn't ask for chocolate, but I'll share the most amazing chocolate cake/cupcake recipe.  I've flavored the frosting with kahlua before, it works well.  The recipe is from my favorite bakery, Kitchenette in NYC.

http://www.kitchenetterestaurant.com/recipes.html

The Best Chocolate Cake With Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
    Makes 1 three layer 9-inch round cake, serves 10-12 people, or makes 15 cupcakes

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1 cup brewed coffee
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350° F. In large mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In another large bowl, beat eggs and sugar together about 5 minutes, until pale in color. Add melted butter and mix well. Add sifted dry ingredients alternating with coffee and buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Add vanilla and beat well. Batter will be very thin. Pour into three 9" greased cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until knife tests clean. Cool completely. Frost between layers with cream cheese frosting, leaving sides unfrosted.

You may opt to make cupcakes instead by pouring batter into greased or lined muffin tins. Baking time may differ slightly. When cupcakes are completely cool, frost tops with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
    Enough to frost 2 cakes or 2 dozen cupcakes

1/2 pound cream cheese, softened
    3/4 cup butter, softened
    4 cups confectioner's sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In mixing bowl, or bowl of electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter. Add sugar gradually, along with vanilla. Beat thoroughly until frosting is smooth and shiny.

To make chocolate cream cheese frosting, add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to above. Frost cake or cupcakes with chocolate frosting, for an all chocolate version of this cake.

• Burtonbaby145Burtonbaby145 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    The best cupcakes I have ever made were vanilla hazelnut cupcakes with a nutella buttercream frosting. To be honest I cheated a bit on the cupcakes themselves, because of time. If you take boxed cake mix, I used Duncan Heins yellow cake, and follow the instructions on the box subbing water for milk or buttermilk, you get a rich hommade taste nobody knew the difference. To get the hazelnut flavor I got hazelnut flavoring, not extract, but the kind for coffees, and used that instead of the oil. It was a subtle flavor and delicious. For one batch of frosting, a box of confectioner sugar, 1 stick of butter softened but not melted, two tablespoons milk, one tablespoon vanilla, Nutella to taste. I think I used about two tablespoons of it. I threw it in my mixer and beat it to the consistency I wanted, adding milk in very small amounts if it was too dry. I pipped the icing on them, and served them up in in unbleached cupcake liners with crushed hazelnuts ontop. One of the best things I have ever baked.
    Always try to be a little kinder than is necessary. ? J.M. Barrie
  • Vic, made your cupcakes last nightthey tasted wonderful! And I don't even LIKE white cake! Made a buttercream frosting and put gold sprinkles on them. Pretty! My only problem was probably due to my Kitchen Aid mixer whipping so much air into the batter. I filled cups 3/4 full and still ended dumping some batter. They rose over the top of the pan and had to be cut out so not so pretty. Next time I will plan on filling the cups only halfway and the recipe making at least 30 or so. We're definitely making these as our wedding cupcakes on New Year's Day so be thinking of us and how you helped us out! Thanks!
  • check out http://cakecentral.com/   They have all kinds of recipes online that you can look through.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards