Connecticut

Inn at Longshore / Toby Morris Photography

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boards, and I've already got two questions! I'm not getting married until Summer 2011, but we're looking at venues and photographers now.

My top venue choice is currently the Inn at Longshore in Westport. However, I live in Atlanta (I'm from CT), and won't be able to see it in person until the end of February. I'm dying down here! I've found a TON of pictures, but there's one thing I'm dying to know.

In this photo of a ceremony in the ballrom, you can clearly see ugly ceiling tiles: http://www.innatlongshore.com/Ceremonies-03.html

I know it's an old picture because the lighting fixtures are different now, but I'm wondering if the ceiling tiles have been updated. In most photos of the ballroom, you can't see them. Has anyone been there recently? Any other comments or opinions? ARE THERE UGLY CEILING TILES IN THE BALLROOM?

Also, I feel in my gut (based on photos I've seen online) that Toby Morris should be my photographer, but he lives in California until March, so I won't be able to meet with him in person when I'm there next month. Have any of you used him? Any comments?

I'm also a little concerned about booking him without seeing his albums in person -- any comments on the quality of those?

Thanks so much, everybody! Sorry for the long post!

Re: Inn at Longshore / Toby Morris Photography

• tannymcgeetannymcgee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey steph - i have a friend who is planning her wedding long distance, so I know its tough!  I can't comment on the ceiling tiles because I don't remember, but the Inn at Longshore is lovely.  I'm sure there are other brides that can give you more insight than that, because the event I went to there was a few years ago but it was a lovely venue. Where else are you looking?
    Married 4/30/11
  • edited December 2011
    So many places! While I'm in CT, I'll be visiting the Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, Water's Edge Resort & Spa, Saint Clements Castle, Amarante's Seacliff, Anthony's Ocean View, Pine Orchard Yacht and Country Club, the Inn at Mystic, Seamen's Inne at Mystic, Lake of Isles, The Waterview, Inn at Longshore and Water's Edge at Giovanni's. Phew! I really, really want to be on the Sound, but I have some major reservations about all the waterfront venues except for Inn at Longshore. Saybrook Point would probably be perfect, but the coordinator said she wouldn't recommend more than 170 guests if we'll have a band and a dance floor, and we're expecting more like 200.
    Thanks so much for your reply! I would assume most people wouldn't even remember a thing like ceiling tiles, so it's probably not even a big deal, but you know how it is ... Gotta obsess over the smallest details!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Steph! Congratulations!

I seen many of the places you've mentioned. I can tell you that they all have little ugly things about them (like ceiling tiles). The reason we looked at so many places is because we couldn't get over the little details. My FI and I also have two completely different tastes (he likes extravagant and sophisticated and I like more rustic and unique.)

Let me tell you what I remember about some of the places you listed.

Water's Edge- I went there for a work seminar. The grounds are beautiful! It is a part of  hotel so I'm not sure if there will be "lurkers" on your day. I thought the inside was "o.k."

St. Clements- gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! Quite expensive though. It was out of our budget for the things we wanted. 

Orchard Yacht Club- I think they said it might be tight with 200 (our expected guest count). It was 135 a plate and it didn't include as much as the other places we looked. You might be disappointed in their dance floor. It is separate from the eating area and kinda looks like a gymnasium. It has some charm to it though and I liked that look.

Anthony's- Another gorgeous site but whoever did their decorating inside must have been a man. Gold/blue carpets, grey divider between the rooms, and a red curtain hiding the venetian table. For 200 people you will share the space with the other wedding and you might run into another party outside. The outdoor area is absolutely beautiful. That, and the great food/service is what you are paying for. We couldn't fathom paying that much (I think 130+ with tip), and have it rain and not enjoy the grounds.

Amarantes- This is my venue! Not perfect, but it fit what we are looking for. For 100ish a plate we are getting more than what a lot of places offer. We will share the space with another wedding but the rooms are entirely separate. It gives us the oceanviews we are looking for. Been in business 50+ years- great food and service.

I would recommend the guilford yacht club- gorgeous..perfect venue..but I had a horrible time getting in touch with their caterer and finally had to say forget it.

I've seen pictures of longshore and it looks gorgeous. Keep in mind, you can do some uplighting or use other techniques to hide ceiling tiles if everything else works. I'm like you, things like ceiling tiles and chairs really bothered me. We spent forever looking at places. My FI hated Amarante's the first time we looked at it because the deck was grey instead of white in the pictures.

HTH!

Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    P.S. Best piece of advice a new bride-to-be wasn't ready to listen to from her mother---all eyes will be on you; not the ceiling tiles or color of the deck. Hate to here it or take..but it's true..
  • tannymcgeetannymcgee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    silly -- how many guests are you having?  I visited Amarantes and the ballroom didn't look big enough for 200 guests.  I could be wrong of course but thats what I felt like.
    Married 4/30/11
  • edited December 2011
    Silly, thanks so much for all your input!! Congratulations on your Amarante's wedding! =) It sounds beautiful.
    I finally broke down and asked the coordinator at Inn at Longshore about the ceiling tiles -- she said they're long gone. And they have chiavari chairs!! It turned out that their dates are going FAST (faster than I have time to wait for!), so I think I'm putting down a deposit today or tomorrow!

• edited December 2011
    Good for you! I've only seen pictures of longshore but it looks beautiful. Anyone you know it ct that can check it out for you?

The smaller room at amarante's would definitely not hold 200. The larger ballroom (with the dancefloor in the middle of the room) holds upwards to 230. I think my grandma counted 24 tables...lol...yes, that's what she did when we looked outside...and it looked roomy enough.

Yay for another 2011-er! We are a growing group. Any idea what month? 
  • edited December 2011
    July 2!
  • Kathy 9/18/09Kathy 9/18/09 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I had my wedding at Longshore in September and I honestly don' think I ever noticed the ceiling when I was there.  I just went through some of my pro pics though and I don't think the tiles are still there.  I found a picture where the ceiling looks like a regular (i.e. un-tiled) ceiling.  If you want to give me your email I will send you the picture so you can see.

I agree with a pp though - all eyes will be on you.  On the day of your wedding no one will notice the little things like the ceiling tiles.

By the way I highly recommend Longshore - they were wonderful to work with.  I was really happy I chose to have my reception there.

• mei105pbmei105pb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Inn at Longshore is lovely but watch out they can nickel and dime you - they will charge extras for each chairs that they put out for an outside cocktail party or ceremony.  A few of my friends were charged for extra plates at the wedding.  Just go in knowing your numbers - but otherwise they were fine and they put on a top notch wedding.  We are using Afterglow - they are also from the area and are very good - www.afterglowphotos.com/" target="_blank" onmousedown="UntrustedLink.bootstrap($(this), "f4a4f0474462ff13e39bf343624bd4a3", event)">http://www.afterglowphotos.com

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I looked at all the waterfront properties and loved water's edge.  i did book my wedding the weekend after labor day so that i didn't have to deal w/ the resort being busy though.  The Longshore was on a cove and we wanted something with a more open view.  Cindy, the wedding coordinator at Water's Edge is awesome!  She's super nice and knows her stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards