Honeymoon Discussions

Ireland???

Well...
ever since i seent eh movie "p.s i love you" ive wanted to view all the scenery in person! it looks so romantic and fun!
we have set our budget for 7,000 already! and i have been clueless on how to search for a real agaency that wont hack us for our money, so does anyone know of a great place and package deals we can look for?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket

Re: Ireland???

• Opps! really bad spelling! sorry!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • I just went to Ireland this month (and got married at Ashford Castle in Cong!).  There aren't really any organized tours that you can book through a travel agent, like a resort or anything like that.  H and I really didn't like Dublin but we did do an amazing day tour to Wicklow (that went through where PS I Love You was shot because we also LOVE that movie).  Most hotels and B&B's can organize day tours for you, wherever you go.  We spent most of the time in Galway, which I recommend.  It's a lot more relaxed and the people and the food are amazing.  Everything is pretty reasonably priced there aswell.  7K is a good budget for Ireland, you can definitely have an amazing time.  I would also recommend splurging and spending a night or two in one of Irelands many castles.  H and I felt like we were king and queen at Ashford.

If you want more specific info let me know :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I should also mention that the bus and train services in Ireland are great and cheap so it's easy to get from city to city
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also highly recommend staying in a castle hotel!!!
  • FI and I wanted to go to Ireland for our HM but it was going to cost over 10 grand to get and stay there, without food or spending money. Keep in mind that the Olympics and the Queen's jubilee are driving up prices in the British Isles next year.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • CIE is an agency that works closely with the Irish gov't.  We used them for our HM & are going back in february. 
  • Ireland on a 7k budget will work fine. Depending on how much time you have on your hand and how confident you are with planning your own trip, I'd skip the agency and and package deals and plan the trip yourself.

Get yourself a good travelling guide (I like the Rough Guides), sniffle around on Trip Advisor and other travelling sites. Book your airline tickets, car and hotels seperately. I find looking for the best deals and the coolest places to stay very rewarding.

Do realise that Ireland will be rainy and cold around your wedding date. But it will be off-season and prices will be lower than in summer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_ireland-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:febd6529-4e5b-4240-9d80-ca015b57c28dPost:b2661b9c-fc2b-4d85-a444-5fba8959436d">Re: Ireland???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ireland on a 7k budget will work fine. Depending on how much time you have on your hand and how confident you are with planning your own trip, I'd skip the agency and and package deals and plan the trip yourself. Get yourself a good travelling guide (I like the Rough Guides), sniffle around on Trip Advisor and other travelling sites. Book your airline tickets, car and hotels seperately. I find looking for the best deals and the coolest places to stay very rewarding. <strong>Do realise that Ireland will be rainy and cold around your wedding date. But it will be off-season and prices will be lower than in summer</strong>.
    Posted by Elinetrouwt[/QUOTE]

I second this.  December was quite rainy, especially on the west coast, and things were soooo much cheaper than they would have been in the summer.  Regardless of the semi-cruddy weather it was so worth it to go.  H and I want to go back asap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ireland is awesome.  FI and I backpacked there for 2 weeks and it cost us about $3,000 which included airfair.

I'm sure you won't be wanting to stay in hostels on your honeymoon though.  Here are my recommendations:

1.  Rent a car and drive around the coast.  We didn't get to see the west cost, and I wish we would have.

2.  If you can, go for at least 2 weeks.  There is so much to see and do, you'll feel rushed if you have less time.

3.  Don't shy away from the cities.  Dublin is fun. There's always something going on, it seems.  Belfast is very industrial, but I learned so much about Ireland's history there.  

4. Definitely go see Giant's Causeway.  It's touristy, but it's still awesome.

I hope these help.  It is a very beautiful country.  
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ireland! what a beautiful place! This is where my FI popped the question!! Is wonderful! I would highlyyyyy recommend staying in BB and at least one castle!  Once you stay in one castle, you've seen them all (I think) we stayed in 3 castles while there, and 1 BB... Now I wish it would have been the other way around.  The great thing about BBs are that you get to meet and mingle with the ppl! And they are wonderfulllll!!!! So nice! We flew in to Dublin, and made our way along the south/west coast to Shannon Airport.  My favorite spot without a doubt is the Cliffs of Moher.  Its sooo beautiful!! But now that I say that, "The Vee" was also wonderful. Its a must also for adventurous ppl.  Its located between the 2 Counties Tipperary and Waterford.  Its in the mountain area, and great hiking!! Bring your shoes!!! But theres also great site seeing for the non hikers.. Just pull over to the side of the road and you'll see miles and miles and miles of great peacefulness!! Oh i love Ireland!! :)  I'm not a drinker, but I do suggest going to a pub at least once.

We did go at the end of April, and tho thats said to be the rainy season, it was nothing but wonderful sunny weather.  The only bad thing about Ireland that I have to say, is the size of the roads!! OMGoodness!!! And with driving on the other side of the road!! AHH , so def be careful with that.

We booked everything completely through AAA. 

GL and have a wonderful trip!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards