Snarky Brides

Humpa Humpa Flame Day

Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day

• rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    Apparently, since we are in a recession, no one can b!tch about their jobs.  Ok, got it.  Undecided

I have a job, and I am very grateful for it.  But you would be dang sure I would be p!ssed if I got my pay cut, which is essentially what happened to Midge. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it's stupid to flame midgie for being upset about having a job perk being taken away.  She's allowed to complain.  I think a lot of people here (like missy, although I love you) are displacing their issues on to her. 

I'll biitch all day about the fact that I haven't received a raise in 2 years, that they never promote anyone anymore, and that they're going to start making it impossible for us to get help from our IT department.  Yep, I have a job, but I can still think it sucks somedays and that some parts of it suck. 

Everyone who has a job complains about it sometimes- it doesn't mean you're ungrateful.
  • I haven't been around, but I think it's okay to vent about your job taking away your car.  I've been unemployed since December, but if I was working and they took away my car, that is basically a pay cut.  And I think everyone would complain about it if they came to work one day and they were told they were getting a 10% pay cut.  I know I would. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Sarah, our FIs continue to have things in common. FI's undergrad had a festival every year, and one year, it got out of hand and people started rioting. FI was walking past on his way home (actually hobbling, since he'd broken his leg in multiple places in a car accident and was still recovering). A police officer stopped him since he was in the vicinity of the riot and told him to leave. FI told the guy he was leaving. The officer says "You'd better run." FI continued walking and then was thrown to the ground by the cop, who arrested him.

FTR, the majority of FI's relatives are police officers, and I believe that the vast majority are wonderful people who do what they can in tough situations. But this was just stupid.
  • Regarding the job thing, I've been unemployed since Oct. Before I was laid off, we had 2 pay cuts and 2 rounds of layoffs. Trust me, I bitched about the pay cut each time. And I bitched about being laid off.

But my company wasn't losing money. Or going in the shitter. They needed the extra money to buy other failing companies.

Yeah...
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:65c34318-bb87-48e7-bdc7-2a311c3d87e5">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I still don't, because it wasn't money in her pocket. Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was money in my pocket, since I didn't have to spend about 600 bucks a month (car payments, insurance, maintenance, etc.)  I truly an sorry for the situation your BIL was in.  My dad was unemployed for almost a year, as was my brother.  If I had posted "I have to take a $600 a month pay cut grrrrr", maybe that would have sounded better.

Anyhoo.... It's wednesday :)

Edit to spell "maintenance" correctly and to fix punctuation.
    No, that's not my real name. And FH's name isn't Nun (as in Nun ya bidness) either.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:65c34318-bb87-48e7-bdc7-2a311c3d87e5">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I still don't, because it wasn't money in her pocket. Maybe that makes me callous, but watching my brother's self-esteem crumble to next-to-nothing over the past 15 months has been heart-wrenching. He'd finally gotten to a place where he was really, really good at what he did, and liked it and the people he worked with, and all of a sudden - it was gone. Maybe the loss of the cars to all but the people she mentioned is so she'll keep her job and stay employed, as a cost cutting measure, and then they'll reevaluate later. Either way it isn't literal money out of her pocket, but I know what you're saying Cew.  I'm sure my brother would've gladly handed over any vehicle he had to keep his company afloat.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

And don't get me wrong. I hate that for all of the unemployed people out there. It's such a scary time to be out of a job and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But I think if we are going to flame someone for losing a major employee benefit on the basis that she should just be happy that she has a job, then I think we should be flaming any of us that complain about our jobs. I mean, we should all be happy that we have jobs, you know? But that doesn't stop us from being dissatisfied at times.

Whether the benefit is monetary (like losing a company car without warning or having to pay more for insurance or losing vacation time) or more on the soft side like work / life balance or quality of coworker relationships, they are all benefits in some way.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:44daaafd-5b43-4bc6-8d32-9597a680b060">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry cew. I'm a retard. Retarded I am.
    Posted by harmrose02[/QUOTE]

I coordinate therapy for a 2-year-old child with downs syndrome.Are you going to go up to her and call her that? Your a f*cking horrible person.
    image 76 Invited
    image 51 Ready to Party
    image 13 missing out
    image 12 need to hurry up!
    RSVP Date:November 1
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:3b61e0e6-24f7-4a04-995c-05472891ec42">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day : I coordinate therapy for a 2-year-old child with downs syndrome.Are you going to go up to her and call her that? Your a f*cking horrible person.
    Posted by lovetothinkpink[/QUOTE]

This is ridiculous. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:0ea35648-525f-4082-ac2d-0ad1536481bf">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's stupid to flame midgie for being upset about having a job perk being taken away.  She's allowed to complain.  I think a lot of people here (like missy, although I love you) are displacing their issues on to her.  I'll biitch all day about the fact that I haven't received a raise in 2 years, that they never promote anyone anymore, and that they're going to start making it impossible for us to get help from our IT department.  Yep, I have a job, but I can still think it sucks somedays and that some parts of it suck.  Everyone who has a job complains about it sometimes- it doesn't mean you're ungrateful.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Eye-to-eye, Kiki. I am grateful to have a job but there are days that I fuckinghateit here and want to tell them to shove it and walk out. I have gotten bad reviews two years in a row over shiit that they could have just talked to me about so I could have improved it, (like my speed, how long it takes me to finish certain tasks) but instead they just kept it to themselves and let it simmer for a whole year only to bring it out during my review and blindside me with it. Then they used it as an excuse to not only not give me a bonus like everyone else in the company got, but to not give me my cost-of-living raise either which, again, everyone else in the company got.

So, basically, I am happy to be bringing home a paycheck and not putting the burden of paying all our bills on my FI alone, but that doesn't mean that my work situation is ideal or that it is good for my emotional well-being.

Back to FFW, I flame AATB for insulting an entire nation of people with her "I'm Norwegian so I'm an idiot!" comment. Think before you speak. That goes for you, too, hamrose.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:2a74ed7d-773a-4a17-a591-56f466e3cb1a">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day : This is ridiculous. 
    Posted by luckyme502[/QUOTE]
    It's a gut reaction,that's all.
    image 76 Invited
    image 51 Ready to Party
    image 13 missing out
    image 12 need to hurry up!
    RSVP Date:November 1
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:b5bed2e6-d29c-4cca-a382-0357e666109b">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]So are we just going to tell people to be a grownup and deal whenever anyone posts a vent about anything from now on? If so, I'll put away my empathy card.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

In no way, shape or form Sarah - you should know me better than that. I can me the most empathetic, sometimes sympathetic person around, many times to a fault.

This one happened to hit a raw nerve for me because of my brother, someone I love very, very much. I watched him go from a confident, smart, hard mid-level buyer to a househusband, and then slowly sink into depression. He heard more nos than I'd ever heard in my life.

And to jcm11 or whatever - they may no longer be in style, but at my first wedding in 2001, I had 6 honorary attendants because they were important people to me, but I did not want a 10 person bridal party. One was the bandleader and he was already at the reception. My cousin wanted to do my guest book - my aunt asked if she could because she wanted to dress up. So flame away.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:0ea35648-525f-4082-ac2d-0ad1536481bf">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's stupid to flame midgie for being upset about having a job perk being taken away.  She's allowed to complain.  <strong>I think a lot of people here (like missy, although I love you) are displacing their issues on to her.</strong>  I'll biitch all day about the fact that I haven't received a raise in 2 years, that they never promote anyone anymore, and that they're going to start making it impossible for us to get help from our IT department.  Yep, I have a job, but I can still think it sucks somedays and that some parts of it suck.  Everyone who has a job complains about it sometimes- it doesn't mean you're ungrateful.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Whatever, Kiki - you can think what you like. You can damn well believe I never complained once about my job to Jamie in the past 15 months. And yes, there are plenty of days I think my job sucks and my coworker sucks. I save those vents for my husband.

I've also had a company car before, and had it been taken away, I would've brought my personal car down to where I lived and used it. Problem solved. I also wouldn't have had to reimburse for personal mileage when I went home to visit.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I flame Lab for pretty much everything everyone else said. 

I also flame that girl that didn't want her brother to wear his miltary uniform because it would take her out of the spotlight on her prettyprettyprincess day.  ::eyeroll::
  • I just thought of another one. Jelique seems sweet, but I am not a fan so far.
  • Shoegal drives me nuts, way to overdramatize everything.

Cew- I'm with you on jelique. She seems super sweet but also so....random?

Lab- we all know how I (and everyone) feels about her.

AATB- drives me nuts
  • Sing2phinsSing2phins member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:cb53e114-fc56-4af6-b9f0-bc894f4ed94a">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day : No, I don't mind if people vent, but it just seems a little ridiculous in her OP.  I'm sure its difficult, but just remember there are people who are in a far worse position.
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]
    But this is *always* true, in any situation.  And this game of one-up-manship that people are playing with the job thing is a little annoying, IMO.  Just because you or someone you know has suffered due to the recession doesn't make anyone else's difficulties less valid - to them.  I understand the impulse, but I don't think most people are unaware that things could be worse, and I think it's unfair to basically say "Unless you're as bad off as ME/MY FRIEND/MY FAMILY MEMBER, don't bother complaining."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I get the message, people.

Midgie, rant away.
  • edited June 2010
    I flame anyone who says you need to be thankful for any job you have since the unemployment rate is, oh, 4-5 points higher than normal. A car is a pretty freaking NICE perk, but if I were her, I'd went to vent about it too.

I haven't had a raise in over 2 years, my company switched to a crappier insurance company, and last year they cut out half my holidays and vacation days. This leaves very little incentive for staying, except the steady pay check. It's a shame that in "this economy" companies think they can tell you to bend over and take it because everyone is scared about how hard it will be to find another job. As I once heard someone say, "Keeping your job is the new raise." Yes, I know I'm lucky to have money and health insurance. But damn, that's almost the least someone could ask for.

So yeah, her situation blows. She has every right to vent.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • This whole job thing is ridiculous.  I haven't read the original thread, but based on the info in here, I don't see why it is such a BFD that she is unhappy with her job situation.  I cried my eyes out at work last week because my manager was being a jackass, but I'm not allowed to complain about that because I get a paycheck?

I flame everyone is who complaining about DALJ, because, come on, there are children in third world countries who don't even have message boards.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:405ad3a9-012f-4a3b-9767-398079b290ef">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get the message, people. Midgie, rant away.

I'll stick with you to the end.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:24645412-0d28-4936-9e62-e862c91718e5">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]I flame anyone who says you need to be thankful for any job you have since the unemployment rate is, oh, 4-5 points higher than normal. A car is a pretty freaking NICE perk, but if I were her, I'd went to vent about it too. I haven't had a raise in over 2 years, my company switched to a crappier insurance company, and last year they cut out half my holidays and vacation days. This leaves very little incentive for staying, except the steady pay check. It's a shame that in "this economy" companies think they can tell you to bend over and take it because everyone is scared about how hard it will be to find another job. As I once heard someone say, "Keeping your job is the new raise." Yes, I know I'm lucky to have money and health insurance. But damn, that's almost the least someone could ask for. So yeah, her situation blows. She has every right to vent.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Also signed,  Eastunder

People will always have it better or worse than you.  That doesn't mean one isn't allowed to be upset at aspects of their situation.  Just because you broke your leg doesn't mean that my stubbed toe hurts any less.

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:b910f8e8-99db-47bc-a353-debc0898b578">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day : In no way, shape or form Sarah - you should know me better than that. I can me the most empathetic, sometimes sympathetic person around, many times to a fault. This one happened to hit a raw nerve for me because of my brother, someone I love very, very much. I watched him go from a confident, smart, hard mid-level buyer to a househusband, and then slowly sink into depression. He heard more nos than I'd ever heard in my life. And to jcm11 or whatever - they may no longer be in style, but at my first wedding in 2001, I had 6 honorary attendants because they were important people to me, but I did not want a 10 person bridal party. One was the bandleader and he was already at the reception.  -<strong>My cousin wanted to do my guest book</strong> my aunt asked if she could because she wanted to dress up. So flame away.

If your cousin wants to be a guest book attendant and asks, I think it's very sweet to have her do it because obviously she feels honored.  I just would never designate someone to do it because it's pretty self-explanitory, and I personally would rather be mingling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:b775869a-a64e-4b8d-a284-3a17c72cc207">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day : Also signed,  Eastunder People will always have it better or worse than you.  That doesn't mean one isn't allowed to be upset at aspects of their situation.  <strong>Just because you broke your leg doesn't mean that my stubbed toe hurts any less.</strong>
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]

Ooh, good analogy. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Did anyone else's dad do the thing when you were a kid where, if you said you had a headache/stomachache/whateverache he would say he could stomp on your foot and you would forget you had the headache in the first place? Just me? Okay then.
  • Nukke, my dad totally did that.
  • Those of you on your high and mighties, I GET THE MESSAGE. Thanks for popping by, Kiki and Mery, to add your two cents to my opinion.

If Midgie had worded her OP a little differently instead of it being whiny like it was a kid having candy taken away from her, which she has admitted, I might have been more open to it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:a2672b7e-a4fd-4aec-9868-6845e83fd186">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day : Ooh, good analogy. I'm going to have to remember that one. Did anyone else's dad do the thing when you were a kid where, if you said you had a headache/stomachache/whateverache he would say he could stomp on your foot and you would forget you had the headache in the first place? Just me? Okay then.
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

<div>My dad would offer to cut the pained appendage off so it would stop hurting. I tried that with my nieces and they just cried. Kids today...</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:c76884a9-b166-4b94-b4a9-786b4a40df2e">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Meg- The Cymbalta thread.  She likes to come into any mental health thread and post responses that look like they've been C&Ped from a textbook.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

Get out of my head. No wait, stay. It's better when it's fuller.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_humpa-humpa-flame-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5a955b3d-a110-48e0-ad18-5f6b58cbfb9dPost:0859fa12-61d6-403d-a5f6-c32f14f21e42">Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humpa Humpa Flame Day : My dad would offer to cut the pained appendage off so it would stop hurting. I tried that with my nieces and they just cried. Kids today...
    Posted by rachel_elizabeth1124[/QUOTE]

Hahahah! My grandpa used to do this weird mime thing when we were kids that, now that I look back on it as an adult, was kind of creepy and weird, but hilarious at the time. He would mime threading a needle, complete with big arm movements, very vaudeville-esque, then pretend that he was sewing his fingers together on the other hand. Then he would raise and lower the "thread" in the free hand to mime his fingers opening and closing, spread-eagle like. So weird, but as a kid we couldn't get enough of it.
  • Sorry Missy, I skipped pages 3-5 before I posted my flame.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards