Getting in Shape

Skinny Bitch Diet (going vegan)

Has anyone tried the Skinny Bitch Diet? I was going to try it for a week, to see how it makes me feel. I was a vegetarian for 7 years, but stopped because I became anemic. Then I rediscovered a love of meat. Does anyone (who is vegan/vegetarian) have any tips for getting more natural iron (not a supplement) into your diet?

Re: Skinny Bitch Diet (going vegan)

• I have been eating natural/holistic foods (many of the ones outlined in Skinny Bitch) for quite some time but recently read the book and decided to give up meat as well. 

I googled "Vegetarian sources of Iron" and got this. 

Soybeans, cooked 1 cup 8.8
    Blackstrap molasses 2 Tbsp 7.2
    Lentils, cooked 1 cup 6.6
    Spinach, cooked 1 cup 6.4
    Quinoa, cooked 1 cup 6.3
    Tofu 4 ounces 6.0
    Bagel, enriched 3 ounces 5.2
    Tempeh 1 cup 4.8
    Lima beans, cooked 1 cup 4.4
    Swiss chard, cooked 1 cup 4.0
    Black beans, cooked 1 cup 3.6
    Pinto beans, cooked 1 cup 3.5
    Turnip greens, cooked 1 cup 3.2
    Chickpeas, cooked 1 cup 3.2
    Potato 1 large 3.2
    Kidney beans, cooked 1 cup 3.0
    Prune juice 8 ounces 3.0
    Beet greens, cooked 1 cup 2.7
    Tahini 2 Tbsp 2.7
    Veggie hot dog 1 hot dog 2.7
    Peas, cooked 1 cup 2.5
    Black-eyed peas, cooked 1 cup 2.3
    Cashews 1/4 cup 2.1
    Brussels sprouts, cooked 1 cup 1.9
    Bok choy, cooked 1 cup 1.8
    Bulgur, cooked 1 cup 1.7
    Raisins 1/2 cup 1.6
    Almonds 1/4 cup 1.5
    Apricots, dried 15 halves 1.4
    Veggie burger, commercial 1 patty 1.4
    Watermelon 1/8 medium 1.4
    Soy yogurt 6 ounces 1.1
    Tomato juice 8 ounces 1.0
    Green beans, cooked 1 cup 1.2
    Kale, cooked 1 cup 1.2
    Sunflower seeds 1/4 cup 1.2
    Broccoli, cooked 1 cup 1.1
    Millet, cooked 1 cup 1.1
    Sesame seeds 2 Tbsp 1.0

• Also, you'll see in this chart, that the vegetables are a better source of iron in Mg per 100 calories.

B12 is one that is hard to get on a vegan diet without taking supplements, but if you drink any of the fortified milk substitutes (almond, rice, hemp etc) you should be fine

Table 2: Comparison of Iron Sources

Food

Iron
    (mg/100 calories)

Spinach, cooked 15.7
    Collard greens, cooked 3.1
    Lentils, cooked 2.9
    Broccoli, cooked 1.9
    Hamburger, lean, broiled 1.2
    Chickpeas, cooked 1.1
    Sirloin steak, choice, broiled 0.9
    Chicken, breast roasted, no skin 0.6
    Pork chop, pan fried 0.4
    Flounder, baked 0.3
    Milk, skim 0.1

• Thanks! Have you found a good brand of natural/wheat wraps?
  • I absolutely love Sprouted Grain or Sprouted Wheat tortillas.  NOT the ones by Ezekiel though, as they seem to be too tough/chewy. 

But the ones by Alverado Street Bakery and one other one (can't think of the brand right now)  are both really good.  I'll see if I can find the name of the other brand online.  Both though, I've only found in health food stores.  But just DON'T get the ezekiel ones.
  • ooh okay the other one is French Meadow Bakery sprouted tortillas.  HTH!

One of the things I LOVE to make on them is mushroom/onion/bell pepper grilled burritos.

I sautee up those three things, then wrap them up in the tortilla (usually microwave the tortilla for like 10 secs first, helps make it softer so it won't break) and then put a little Smart Balance light in a skillet, roll the tortilla up tucking in one end of it and put it seam side down and turn trying to evenly grill it.  THis mostly just helps keep it together when i'm eating it.

But once it's done I take it out, open it back up and add sliced avocado & organic salsa... yummmmmyy!!  :D
  • Oh also, I was going to say about giving it a try for a week and seeing how it makes you feel - I am not sure what your current diet is like, but if you eat processed foods right now, and things containing a lot of preservaties, addatives, hydroginated oils, HFCS etc. you may feel very lousy for the first week (or even month) of changing your eating habits to the natural foods.  I was very crabby, super tired, and often felt weak and like I was coming down with something.  But that is just your body detoxing everything and once you have ridded your body of the toxins, you should feel magnificent.

I just don't want you to get discouraged if you start to feel like crap, and think that the diet is a bad idea.  It's actually a GOOD sign!!  :)
  • I would add you might want to try it for at least two weeks and see how you feel.  I go vegan for Lent and the first week is by far the hardest.  Your body is adjusting and releasing toxins and it isn't until the second third weeks that I feel absolutely amazing!  I always end off saying it'll be a life style change but I never make it that far.  Also on the iron make sure you eat items with vitamin C in them to increase absorbtion.  I actually went to a dietician teh first time to make sure I was doing this right and she gave me a long list of foods to eat together to form complete proteins - beans with rice, or wheat or corn I ebliev was complete but by themselves isn't.  I have no idea of the Bragg's amino acid soy sauce stuff really does what it says - but its a little squirt of heaven on everything!!
  • I try to incorporate as much raw vegan into my diet as possible.

Something that I love and (keeps me full) is a green smoothie.  I swear it's delicious!

1 banana (you can also substitute coconut water to make sure you get potassium)
    a handful of sweet fruit (i love pineapple the best)
    2 cups baby spinach

blend, and voila!  It's so good!
  • www.ohsheglows.com

She's a vegan blogger, posts all of her food and has a really good attitude about food/dieting, etc.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards