Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

vegetarian meal?

Ok so my parents have graciously offered to pay for our wedding reception which is great. However, I have a question, it isn't really a problem yet and I don't forsee it to be one I just want some opinions....

My MOH is a vegetarian, she may eat seafood occasionaly but she doesn't eat any other meat. My parents want to offer just one dish, steak to, in their terms, 'keep costs down,'.... I don't know how ordering steak for 250 keeps costs down but anywho.....

I made a comment to my mom that Heather is vegetarian and I don't want her to have to stare at a slab of beef on her plate with all of its juices spreading around the plate in all the other food. Since she's going to be at the head table I thought maybe the wait staff could bring in a plate without the steak. My mom flipped out saying that it would be rude for her to think I needed to do that, it's her problem since she is the vegetarian, not me. If she doesn't want it then she needs to say something. But that she should just be gracious and not say anything and leave it on her plate.

I was shocked at my mom's reaction more then anything but what would the proper way to go about this be? Should I tell my MOH to say something to the wait staff at the reception that she doens't want the steak on her plate or do I say something?

thanks

Update: So after giving it a bit I started talking to my mom about it again. After telling her we're going to have to accomodate the kids that will be there, there is no harm in asking about a vegetarian dish which I told her would be cheaper anyways since there is no meat in it. She did agree. Thank you all for your great posts :)

(We have a handful of kids, I have 4 first cousins who are younger and FI's neice who is our flower girl and her little bros... That's where we cut the line at kids, otherwise we would have easily added another 50 to the guest list.)

Re: vegetarian meal?

• edited December 2011
    I would say something in advance that way it does not cause an akward interaction on the day of.  Call the caterer tell them who she is and I think with her being in the WP makes it even easier for them to get her an alternate plate.  You should always try to accomodate those with diet restrictions if you can. 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I can't believe your Mum said that either. That's terrible hosting!

Caterers are used to having vegetarians at receptions. Usually they'll provide a vegetarian option for the handful in attendance (if they are a handful) at no extra cost. Just tell your caterers ahead of time that you have vegetarians in attenance and ask what options they have for her.

Are you sure she's the only vegetarian?
  • Miss_SophiaMiss_Sophia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She's the only vegetarian that I know of that we are inviting... FI hasn't mentioned that anyone on his side is and I know no one else on my side is so I think she's the only one.

I did figure that with her being in the WP that it would be easy to bring a different plate out for her. I just don't want to cause a big stink with my mom if the catering place wants to charge extra for some inconvience or something...

Oh well, I'm sure it will all work out. I knew that my parents offering to pay for the reception would equal some stress but FI and I are grateful for the help.
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Usually the vegetarian option is cheaper. At my venue you can choose one vegetarian option and I think it's $17 pp for up to 15 people.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well, there's no harm in asking the catering company. You're not causing a stink, you're asking them to do their job.
  • Miss_SophiaMiss_Sophia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys, I feel better about the meals and that I can talk to the catering people about it. :)

P.S. I'm listening to ScannerRadio on my Droid. LIstening to the area Police, Fire, EMTs. Talking about the storm that's about to hit. Though some of the conversations they have late at night is very amusing.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I've been to weddings where there was one vegetarian.  They gave her a pasta dish.  I think the venue had an automatic subsitituion they did for vegetarians.  Basically tell them you need a veg option and they may have something they will do that doesn't alter your cost, but you don't get to pick what it is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would ask people.  I am not a vegetarian but I don't eat red meat, so I wouldn't eat the steak either.  You should always have a vegetarian option.  It would be horrible to go somewhere and not be able to eat a meal when you are expecting one.  Just my opinion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    caterers are used to this and i don't think it should be a problem asking for a vegetarian meal or any or food allergies/restrictions. as the host it is rude to knowingly serve somebody something that they can't eat. so does you mom just expect your MOH to starve all night?
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a vegetarian at our wedding & we are going to have something different for her at the rehersal dinner and the wedding, just so she does have that option. It would be easy for the staff to be able to bring her a vegan plate, hell make it yourselves if need be, but she should be able to eat something!
  • marisah83marisah83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a vegetarian, so I've frequently been the lone person to need a different dish at a wedding or other function.  I've never been anywhere where they've refused to make a vegetarian dish.  People can be vegetarians for a variety of different reasons, including food allergies and religious belief.  Most chefs prepare for people to have allergies for food restrictions, and I doubt they would charge any extra to make a different dish.  I would just let them know ahead of time that you'll need it, but I doubt it would be a problem.
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
  • lizzi97lizzi97 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too have often been the lone vegetarian requesting an alternative. Any good caterer will have an alternative in case a guest asks, even if you don't. If you happen to have a say in what the vegi dish is, I recommend that you request something with protein.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards