Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Invites Are Out + Post Office Rant

So I arrive at the post office bright and early this morning at 8:05 with invites in arms.  I was the only customer in there so I asked the PO person to please hand cancel my invitations.  The conversation goes like this:

PO Person:  Chuckles and says oh these do not have to be hand stamped.
Me:  I hear they get mangled when they are run through the machine.
PO Person:  No they will be fine.
Me:  Well I would really like them hand canceled, as you can see I have less than 50 invitations.
PO Person:  Do you know how long it would take us if we hand canceled every piece of mail? 
Me:  Sir I understand what you are saying but understand that while this may seem like an annoying request to you, it is a special time for the person making the request and we only want things to be just right.  I don't believe you get these requests all day every day so I would really appreciate it if you would hand cancel these as I am entitled to request as such.
PO Person:  Fine ok I will do this for you. 

And he reluctantly proceeds to start hand stamping and says I'm all set.  So I say thank you, I appreciate it, have a nice day and turn and walk out.  Why do I think that as soon as I left he chucked the rest through the machine.

Dude really?  How hard is it, there was not one other person in the PO!  Honestly, I get lame requests in my job too but I do them and don't whine about it.  Do your job bro!  

End of rant. 
Invites are out!  Yay!

Re: Invites Are Out + Post Office Rant

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's really annoying!  I took mine to the Fort Point post office and the women there were so friendly and offered before I even asked as soon as they realized they were my wedding invites.  My envelopes were bright fucshia with custom stamps and they were all admiring them.  Sorry that you had such a bad experience!
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sucks.  But--YAY!!--they are now mailed, and that's a great check!  :)

When I went I offered to do them myself--the PO worker happily handed me the cancelling stamp and told me that they had a chair/table I could sit at to be more comfortable.  Well, we had dark envelopes and shiny custom stamps that didn't take the hand stamping, so when I got mine in the mail the next day, I noticed it had been canceled AGAIN over the one I had done bc you couldn't even see the first one.  Oh well.  It still makes me happy to know I did them all.
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oof that is so annoying! I think I'm going to start going in to the post office and make friends with the ladies in there so they're not so terrible when I go to do mine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay they are out!!! Sorry they made it such a process though! What post office did you go to??

I agree with emily I'm going to start bringing my post office people cookies and presents :)
    169 image 59 image 8 image 102 image ** RSVP Date: May 28th **
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry you had such a bad experience.

Luckily my aunt works at the post office and has offered to do mine for me in her down time.  Otherwise stories like this would have scared me away from hand stamping!
    10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm going to bring mine out to the Cape (where the wedding is) just to avoid the in Boston-city attitude! I get that it's annoying, but is it really THAT big of a deal?

At least they are out! Yea! Oh, and I hear they always go through 2 machines, so even if you hand cancel the first, they will still go through a machine. Whatever.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hate to rain on your parade, but hand stamping/cancelling only reduces wear and tear by one machine. Your invitations will still go through a minimum of 2 and a max of 5 on their way to their destination ...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards