Getting in Shape

Introduction

Hi. I was looking over this board a bit yesterday and all of the accountability and encouragement seems super helpful, so I am hoping to become a regular.

I am hoping to lose 10lbs and do some serious toning before my wedding. I am 5'4" and have a very petite frame and a bit of a pear shape. Any extra weight goes straight to my hips and thighs and I am looking to get rid of the muffin top look and be able to fit into some old favorite outfits again so I can take them on my honeymoon.

I also have pretty much zero muscle tone. My fiance and I bought a fixer upper house recently, so with working on that, I stay active, but am not doing anything that generates much in the way of toning. Everything just looks kinda floppy, especially my upper arms, plus I am a total weakling. I want carrying my 49.9lb suitcase on the honeymoon not to be a struggle!

I am hoping to lose the weight in the next 3 months in time for dress shopping. The toning I think is going to take alot of work and will be a year-long project.

My challenge with diet is eating out. I am really good about not snacking or keeping to healthy snacks when I do (except those damned office birthday cakes - hard to resist!). With working on our house and working long hours at my regular job, it's very hard to make time to cook. We're both on different shifts, so we really enjoy just being able to go out and eat together. On the weekends, we are usually running errands or working on the house, so stopping at places like Panera, Qdoba, McDonald's or the local pizza joint is a frequent occurance. I make a point to eat in for healthy breakfast and lunch Mon-Fri, but the rest of my meals are a crap-shoot. I don't think this is something I'll be able to change until we finish the kitchen at our house and some other projects, but I am going to try really hard to limit my portion size when eating out and not be afriad to take 1/2 home. I can at least avoid the fried items and try to utllize the menus that list calories. Any other good suggestions for eating out?

Finding time to work out is also a real challange, but this weekend I discovered 10 minute workout videos on Netflix.  I plan to alternate days doing the arm and ab workouts to start. I have a knee problem, so the leg stuff is a bit hard right now. I also want to look at some of the other ones in there to find some additional routines so I am at least getting in 10-20 mins of exercise per day - better than nothing. Hopefully, most of these projects will be done by Winter and then maybe I can splurge and join a gym for the last 5 months before the wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Introduction

• Hey! Welcome to the board! Let us know if you have any specific questions and we will try our best to answer them! The accountability threads are a great way to keep track of your diet and exercise, and I also personally love using myfitnesspal.com (it's really helped me see where I've been doing some really bad things to myself food and exercise-wise).

Goodluck!
  • With me I eat alot of mayo which is my enemy. But I usually get a small fry because I can't eat alot of them.

• edited June 2012
    I'm actually lucky in that I am not a big soda fan. It wasn't hard for me to just drop it entirely. Yeah, I think the portion sizes in restaurants are definitlly my biggest enemy right now
  • I'm actually lucky in that I am not a big soda fan. It wasn't hard for me to just drop it entirely. Yeah, I think the portion sizes in restaurants are definitlly my biggest enemy right now
  • Thanks for the welcome and support!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards