Florida-West Coast

Blocking off Rooms

Yes I am getting married during "high season." But does every place need to have a night min. A front desk lady told us the manager would do 2 nights if we book earlier enough, but she said no to me. FI is calling tomorrow. This is my biggest headache right now, since more than half of our guests are OOT. If you have any advice I will take it.

Re: Blocking off Rooms

• edited December 2011
    Wait, I'm confused. The hotel is telling you what?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • teachermegsteachermegs member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They are telling us that people need to stay 3 nights or more.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-west-coast_blocking-off-rooms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:62Discussion:242e7238-a34b-4800-a683-48f26dcb946ePost:855029ac-0bdb-4724-9525-d50140ba4934">Re: Blocking off Rooms</a>:
    [QUOTE]They are telling us that people need to stay 3 nights or more.
    Posted by teachermegs[/QUOTE]
    OH!

No, that's ridiculous and not normal.

How many other hotels have you called?
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Nicole, look around for other hotels.  I have been to many weddings during "peak" seasons in Fl and other areas and have never been told I have to have a minimum. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-west-coast_blocking-off-rooms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:62Discussion:242e7238-a34b-4800-a683-48f26dcb946ePost:70a635a6-80e0-44a6-b306-788ba41545b5">Re: Blocking off Rooms</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Nicole, look around for other hotels.  I have been to many weddings during "peak" seasons in Fl and other areas and have never been told I have to have a minimum. 
    Posted by TTnoles[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, my wedding is in 2 weeks at peak season and the Westin of all places isn't even asking a minimum stay from our guests....so time to look elsewhere!
    edited December 2011
    We have looked at many places. We found one that is small and a bit more that FI family wants to pay. The thing that gets me is one place the front desk girl said they have done it and the manager is saying no.  I know I have a year, but this is one thing I really want to get done.
    Thanks for your comments. I will keep looking.
  • edited December 2011
    Where are you looking?
    edited December 2011
    Anna Maria Island. We live in Tampa so it's a hour drive. This was my headache this week. We are thinking to look into Bradenton and hire a driving service.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married March 13th on St Pete Beach and ever hotel that we blocked rooms with required a 2 night minimum. (Don Cesar, Alden, Sirata and Tradewinds)
    On March 13, 2010 I reaffirmed the LOVE that I have for the MOST important man in my LIFE! And now it is Happily ever after...forever!!!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe I can get help here, I am 6 or so months out and  was wondering what questions you are asking to get a block of rooms at a reduced rate.

TIA
  • edited December 2011
    we blocked rooms at the Hyatt place in Bradenton, by the sarasota Bradenton airport.
    They don't have a minimum. Some of the days we have blocked are in High season. We got the rooms for $99 a night. THey all have sleeper couches along with the bed(s)
    I believe May 1 is when the rates go down.
    Some of my family is renting a house on Anna Maria island.
     ( We are getting married in Bradenton at the Powel Crosley)
    It is only about 30 minutes away from Anna Maria.

Good luck!!!
  • cmeyer3946cmeyer3946 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    3 nights?  I've never even heard of something so ridiculous.  I would speak to the manager direclty or if it's a chain, then I would go higher up and call their corporate office.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've never heard of having to have a minimum number of nights!  Ours is for 1 night but it's a resort not a local hotel.  you should definately be able to find something better.  Keep looking, you still have time Smile
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • rehbkm2wedrehbkm2wed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I just called a bunch of hotels around clearwater beach about getting a room block. They all told me you needed to book a minimun of 10 rooms, with NO night minimums, and if they rooms were not booked about 3 weeks prior to the wedding, then they get released back to the hotel with no penalty. I think that's a little crazy that there is a night minimum, even though most OOT guests will stay for 2 nights. I would continue to look around and call some more places.  

Good luck! 
    ~Robin 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards