Wedding Etiquette Forum

I hate people...

... who dump their dogs in the desert!

It is so common out here.  I live in a small town about 20 miles south of Phoenix.  We were incorporated a few years ago and experienced "hypergrowth" while the housing market was on the upswing... but when the economy crashed, we did too.  Now one in every four houses in foreclosure and people are abandoning their pets along with their homes.

I found this little guy on Saturday:

I was so sure he had a family out there looking for him -- but a zillion fliers, phone calls and Internet postings later, I have to assume he's just another desert dump.  I can't keep him (I have four dogs of my own, all rescues), but the thought of turning him over to Animal Control breaks my heart.

I'm trying to find a home for him... but given that he's just one of thousands in his situation, I don't have much hope.  :(

Re: I hate people...

• I feel you. Santiago has hundreds of thousands of strays. Some of them have grown up on the street and probably wouldn't like being confined to a house, but some you can tell have been abandoned because they're skinny and don't understand traffic. Those are sad. Some friends are trying to find a home for a puppy right now, but it's hard because so many of the people who like dogs already have their own rescues (like us). Good luck!
  • man, i'd take him if we didn't already have our hands full with 2 rescues. he looks so sweet and my heart is breaking for him. have you tried other rescues, besides the one your supervisor runs?
  • Hey, hey, where do you live? Sierra Vista?
  • Uhh..maybe I can con T's mom into taking him (she lives in Sierra Vista) I would take him but our neighbor would kill us.
  • I'm in Maricopa.

And Quincy makes an adorable bunny!
  • Ooh you're closer than I was thinking. I'm trying to con my coworkers into taking him.
  • Me too!  I wish one of us luck.  :)

If it helps, he is:

- a shepherd/lab mix
    - between 8 and 10 months old
    - housetrained with a doggie door (without one, he may need some supervision until he learns how to ask to go outside)
    - good with kids and pets, including cats
    - knows basic commands (including "sit," "down" and the ever-important "no")

He does seem to have some mild separation anxiety, but that's to be expected given that he is essentially homeless.  It's nothing a little love and routine won't cure!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards