Wedding Etiquette Forum

Gobble, Gobble week...Monday

Good Morning.  It's Thanksgiving week.  YAY!!!  Which means it'll probably be slow here, but lets try not to make it that way.  At least not until after Wednesday when I leave town.  :) 

How was everyone's weekend?  Who's ready for a turkey coma? 

Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday

• Aw - sorry you're sick.  I had a sinus thing going on that lasted forever and finally cleared up this weekend.  We have about a 16 hour round trip drive for our Thanksgiving.  First time Jocelyn is old enough to complain about it - so we'll see how it goes.  Where are you guys going? 

Congrats on your Hokies.  My Buckeyes got lucky.  Not sure what they were trying to do this weekend. 

• LTB - you are brave!!!!  I need about 10 years before I'll even think about cooking Thanksgiving dinner at my house.  (that's 10 years for cooking practice)
  • Morning! My weekend was good despite an awful 10k on Saturday. Nike decided to change the time of their annual run to 5pm, and the heat really did a number on me and gave me my slowest time ever, but I did my best given the circumstances and didn't stop to walk, so whatever.

We obviously do not get Thursday off (which makes me sad since Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday - food and family!), but Friday is our company Olympics day, which is super fun and still makes it a short week. All 800+ people in all our offices are split into teams and compete in various activities, then there's a dinner and dance - with open bar - at the end. ILs, host family and I are doing our traditional belated T-day on Sunday, so I'm looking forward to that
  • We won't have internet at the new place until tomorrow afternoon, so I'm going to sneak in as much time as I can online at work today so  I can catch up on all my websites!
  • Marning! I have to take baby Cecil to the vets this morning, he cold is getting worse and he is weezing a lot.

Weekend was meh. There was a small memorial for a family friend that passed away Saturday night, which instead of making me feel better it actually set me deeper into mourning. So that was hard. 

Yesterday we went and printed up some of our engagement pictures and got frames (50% off at JoAnn frabic!!) so that was exciting.

I am ready for thanksgiving but I am worried about my mom. She just lost her friend and this will be the first year that I won't be having thanksgiving with my family, so I am really worried she is going to be really upset this year. Oh dear :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:5a2a7b78-aad5-4e16-8dea-2a210c393003">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday : We are going to Nashville, TN. Not the most exciting of drives. The kicker is that we are driving for two days (there and back) and only going to be there two days. The joys of having in-laws who live far away ... Where are you guys heading? LTB -- DH cooks Thanksgiving dinner for his family every year. He loves it. And he's really good. But he is literally cooking from 8am until dinner. I couldn't do it.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

We're going to Joliet, IL.  We're leaving on Thursday morning and coming back on Saturday.  So it'll be like 1.5 days.  Kind of wish it were longer, but my grandparents are old and can only handle so much excitement.  I think any longer and they'd go crazy.  It's Mr Stacks first trip to meet the Grandparents. 

Emily - that work Olympics thing sounds so fun!  I wish our job did something like that - well actually I wish that did ANYTHING!!! 
  • Good morning!  I am psyched for Thanksgiving week...although I do have to work on Black Friday.  It's our first married holiday and the first Thanksgiving that H is spending with my family in Connecticut, which I'm very excited for.  Wednesday is our traditional pie-baking day, so after work that day I'm heading to my parents' house to bake.  Can't wait.  Just gotta get through today and tomorrow first!

Weekend was all right...half relaxing, half exhausting since I volunteered on Sunday.  I'm beat-tired and I miss quality time with H, although after we both get home tonight we've decided not to do anything but veg out.  Should be fun.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Good morning.  I'm so ready for Thursday already. 

cfa- It was such a good game.  The energy was insane and there was a good amount of VT fans.  Good thing my H went into the game thinking the Canes weren't going to win or he would've been deeply disappointed! haha  Good game though, for sure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches

• Morning! DH and I are skipping Thanksgiving this year so I'm just cooking a small meal for both of us and I don't plan on spending more than an hour on it. Sorry for anyone who has to cook the whole shebang.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Good morning, ladies!

Today is a good day. :) It's the first day of my last week at my current job... it's a short week so it's already Wednesday in work-week terms (woot!)... and I had a great weekend. Saturday haircut, Sunday I put up our Christmas tree - and H and I booked our "mini-moon" at a kickass resort in northern Michigan for their New Year's Eve party!
  • AK- You put your tree up already?  Is it real or fake?  I though I put up my tree early. (I usually put it up the weekend following Turkey Day and it's real.) 

• edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:b72ab5a5-6439-4924-afc6-91752b56efd7">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good morning, ladies! Today is a good day. :) It's the first day of my last week at my current job...<strong> it's a short week so it's already Wednesday in work-week terms (woot!).</strong>.. and I had a great weekend. Saturday haircut, Sunday I put up our Christmas tree - and H and I booked our "mini-moon" at a kickass resort in northern Michigan for their New Year's Eve party!
    Posted by akhensley81[/QUOTE]

This is a really good way to think of the week, thanks!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Morning ladies!  I had a great weekend with my mom until the flight back yesterday.  I was supposed to be on the 6pm flight that got delayed until 8pm and then cancelled.  So I got on the 8:15pm flight, but that was delayed until 9pm.  So I didn't get home and in bed until 11pm :( 

This weekend also made me realize how much my mom really wants/needs me nearby and I feel really guily now.  H and I need to figure out our 5 year plan or whatever.  Babies, moving, grad school...what order to do it in, that kind of thing.  It makes me super stressed to think about so I'm just going to ignore it until after the holidays, haha.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Fezz- It's a fake tree. I'm literally allergic to everything, so a real tree wouldn't work well for me. But almost everyone who walks in to our apartment touches it to see if it's real, so I guess it's a good-looking one. Hehe.

And yeah, I normally do it the weekend after Thanksgiving but I'm going to be busyashell all next weekend - and I was in the mood yesterday. So I said screw it, the tree's going up.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:1579035d-4855-47a9-b058-046714236ac0">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]This weekend also made me realize how much my mom really wants/needs me nearby and I feel really guily now.  H and I need to figure out our 5 year plan or whatever.  Babies, moving, grad school...what order to do it in, that kind of thing.  It makes me super stressed to think about so I'm just going to ignore it until after the holidays, haha.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I feel...H really wants to move back to MA, and we feel really torn between both families.  My mother is pressuring us to move even closer to my parents, and I'm not sure that's the best thing for us, especially for me.  I love my mom, but she and I have had a rocky relationship over the past few years.  On top of that, H and I are talking children, and I'd really like to figure out where we're going to be before we start having kids.

• TR, can I join you on your "thinking about the future is too hard so I ignore it" bench? People ask us all. the. time. whether we're in Chile permanently, when we're going back to the US, when we're having babies etc, and there are just so many pros and cons to every choice that I can't ever make any kind of decision about what we should be planning to do. Ignorance really is bliss.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:e1910d52-200b-4e89-9eea-cdb044687e3f">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fezz- It's a fake tree. I'm literally allergic to everything, so a real tree wouldn't work well for me. But almost everyone who walks in to our apartment touches it to see if it's real, so I guess it's a good-looking one. Hehe. And yeah, I normally do it the weekend after Thanksgiving but I'm going to be busyashell all next weekend - and I was in the mood yesterday. So I said screw it, the tree's going up.
    Posted by akhensley81[/QUOTE]

Ahh I see.  I was going to say that if it's real how do you get it to last until Christmas.  Ours always looks raggedy by then but I want to have the tree up as soon as possible.  That sucks that you're allergic to real trees. Boo!

• Good morning everyone! Praise Jebus for a 3 day week. WOOHOO! I had a dream that Jerk Boss resigned, and I woke up so happy I can't even describe it. Other than that, my weekend was incredibly meh. I barely moved on Saturday, I was so sick. I cancelled my plans to meet my friend's new twins and then sent Mr. P to a birthday party for a different friend without me. Started feeling well enough yesterday to get off the couch, so at least it's progress. And hey! Now I won't be sick for Thanksgiving! YAY!

LTB- if you want to get on the invite to the holiday GTG can you please PM me your email address? Gracias.

babestate- why you working on Friday?! That sucks.

Rosie- I'm sorry you feel like you're missing out on an important turkey day for your mom. HUGS!
  • Emily - exactly.  And I'm terrified of falling into the trap of just taking the path of least resistance which is staying in this job that I hate, in an area we don't really like, that's far away from our families.  So something's got to happen, I'm just not sure what, haha. 

I wonder how hard it is to have a baby while you're in grad school...

ttc chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:4284c31d-af63-49f7-8728-e7b0829a9c93">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]hey Rosie, which vet do you use?
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

<div>Basin Run. Its in Colora. We used to go to Elk Neck but the vet recently started putting out a lot of scientologist literature.. plus she was charing an arm and a leg. BUT I definitely recommend Basin Run :)</div>
  • TR, I think there's also so much of a feeling among people of our generation that you have to be finding your passion and thinking about your future and never getting complacent. Those are all great things, but they can drive you crazy. I try to make sure that we're not just going through the motions and are actually enjoying our lives while at the same time not closing doors to future possibilities, but I just realized that I couldn't sit here and map out exactly where we are going to be in 2015 and exactly how we're going to get there without losing some of that enjoyment of my life now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:f055eafe-767e-4b22-b8c1-9d570637d8f2">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday : Ahh I see.  I was going to say that if it's real how do you get it to last until Christmas.  Ours always looks raggedy by then but I want to have the tree up as soon as possible.  <strong>That sucks that you're allergic to real trees. Boo!
    </strong>Posted by FutureMrsFezz[/QUOTE]

I know. I don't think H will ever get over it. He always had a real tree growing up and when I gave him the bad news, the poor guy almost lost his Christmas spirit. But he does like our tree - and I've promised him that when we get a house, we'll have a mud room or somewhere in the house that we can put a real tree where it won't bother me too much. And he was happy with that.
  • Good Morning! Lucas and I cleared out our back bedroom yesterday. There's actually room to wlk and move around in there. Yay! I had a baby shower on Saturday. It was short and sweet, and I realized that I really don't like sitting there watching people open presents. Everyone gets all awwwww, but I don't, not me. Does that make me a grump?

I'm so looking forward to Thursday, we're heading up to Silver Spring to visit my dad for Thanksgiving. I'm curious to know what we're going to have because one of his partners is allergic to gluten. That means we have to be creative with stuffing, and no green bean casserole because cream of mushroom soup has flour in it. I know whatever dad make will be tasty!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:7fd73623-fef3-41f2-bffd-0949065ac34a">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]TR,<strong> I think there's also so much of a feeling among people of our generation that you have to be finding your passion and thinking about your future and never getting complacent. </strong>Those are all great things, but they can drive you crazy. I try to make sure that we're not just going through the motions and are actually enjoying our lives while at the same time not closing doors to future possibilities, but I just realized that I couldn't sit here and map out exactly where we are going to be in 2015 and exactly how we're going to get there without losing some of that enjoyment of my life now.
    Posted by emilyinchile[/QUOTE]

Definitely.  And I think this weekend made it a bit worse because my mom married young, had me and then stayed in a job she hated for the next 30 years and now she's <em>miserable</em>.  She really doesn't want that to happen to me and I know she's only trying to help, but she kept asking what our plans were and how was I going to stop that happening for me and it made me feel a little crazy.
    ttc chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:7fd73623-fef3-41f2-bffd-0949065ac34a">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]TR, I think there's also so much of a feeling among people of our generation that you have to be finding your passion and thinking about your future and never getting complacent. Those are all great things, but they can drive you crazy. I try to make sure that we're not just going through the motions and are actually enjoying our lives while at the same time not closing doors to future possibilities, but I just realized that I couldn't sit here and map out exactly where we are going to be in 2015 and exactly how we're going to get there without losing some of that enjoyment of my life now.
    Posted by emilyinchile[/QUOTE]

Jumping in here. I totally agree. I know where I'd like to be in 5 or ten years (out of debt is the biggest one) but sometimes it's hard to see the path that will get you there. If you focus too much on that path, you can miss other opportunities that you may never have dreamed of taking.
  • I was working on Friday!  My boss just told me to take it off!  WOO HOO!

I'm so excited for the end of this week now.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:8c3e2036-7976-4e41-947d-de7a40b11520">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was working on Friday!  My boss just told me to take it off!  WOO HOO! I'm so excited for the end of this week now.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

Yay, that's exciting! :)  I'm always in a food coma for most of that Friday, I hated working retail and going into work at 4am that day.
    ttc chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:89e7e091-e86b-4d7a-9f6c-b905a2ed73f9">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday : Yay, that's exciting! :)  I'm always in a food coma for most of that Friday, I hated working retail and going into work at 4am that day.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I hear you...I did that ONCE (worked at Best Buy on Black Friday in 2005) and I had to be there for 3 AM - 12 PM.  SUCKED.  1,000 people in the door at 5 AM.  Never, ever again.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:8c3e2036-7976-4e41-947d-de7a40b11520">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was working on Friday!  My boss just told me to take it off!  WOO HOO! I'm so excited for the end of this week now.

<div>WOOHOO!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gobble-gobble-weekmonday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:75616d39-15c5-4f33-ad1a-cbb1f4798048Post:8c3e2036-7976-4e41-947d-de7a40b11520">Re: Gobble, Gobble week...Monday</a>:

That is VERY exciting!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards