Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Insurance?

For any of you ladies who took your husband's insurance after the marriage or vise versa , how long did it take to kick in?  I have a degree in ballet education but I work a job that I'm not in love with strictly for insurance purposes (at dance, I'm an independant contractor and receive no benefits).  At this time, I can only afford to teach dance once a week so I can ensure enough hours at my other job to keep my benefits.  After the wedding I plan to leave my full time job so I can start teaching more dance classes.  I want to start putting in applications now for more dance jobs but I'm just wondering when I will be able to leave the other job.  TIA!
Photobucket

Re: Insurance?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's almost immediate.. You don't have to wait for the open enrollment period to get insurance from a spouse, you can do it at any time that you have a life-changing event (ie, marriage).  And from the time he puts it through it should be instant, I think it almost HAS to be actually.
  • Options
    Steffy122509Steffy122509 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would agree..if not instant deff the start of the following month.  Some places pay insurance 1 month in advance (thats how my insurance works) but usually as soon as ev erything goes through...proof of marriage..and any other documents you could get ready ahead of time...he needs to find out from his work what you may need to be added.
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pretty much as soon as you fill out an application and write a check you're covered. To ensure that you filled out the application and wrote a check on the day you said you did, it'd be best to get an envelope and stamp it with the date at the seal. That way the insurance companies know that you did this before something happened and not after.
  • Options
    benmel31benmel31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree, almost immediately, although it may need to wait until the first of the month.  my benefits person said to just get her a copy of the marriage cert when it comes in.

my FI is going on my insurance.  we took care of it this week.  he will be on mine starting august 1, one day after our wedding.  
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As soon as my paperwork was sent to HR, DH was covered starting the next pay period.  You should contact a benefits rep to find out though - there are subtle differences for each company.  You should also look into your window of time to make changes - for QLEs (qualifying life events) DH had 30 days before the wedding and 30 days after while I had 30 days before and 60 days after to make the change. 
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I'm not a 100%, I'm 99% the other girls have this one.

Where do you teach ballet? I danced from when I was 3 to about 21 - after college I moved into the Philly area and have been looking for a decent studio. Even if it's an adult ballet class - at this point I'll take anything!
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Speaking of insurance...... is it true that pregnancy is a pre-existing condition?  Is it going to cost more to switch insurance when you're preggo than if you're not? What about after a baby is born?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:ccd7a88a-1653-481c-9da1-d17763776d0aPost:2b8d893b-8f3d-410f-b3bd-7c30442d4109">Re: Insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of insurance...... is it true that pregnancy is a pre-existing condition?  Is it going to cost more to switch insurance when you're preggo than if you're not? What about after a baby is born?
    Posted by caraellen23[/QUOTE]

<div>This will not effect the cost of your insurance if you switch while pregnant - I believe it's a law that pregnancy cannot be considered a pre-existing condition.  Insurance premiums go up because you're adding more people to the plan.  Some plans are self, self + 1, or family, going from cheapest to most expensive.  My insurance only offers self or family so for me it costs just as much for me and DH as it will for me, DH and 10 kids.    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was told to get insurance BEFORE I got pregnant, my friend sells insurance, so I will ask him to confirm it but I will get insurance before I get preggo, just to be safe. I can also ask him about switching insurance if you like.
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's illegal for them to consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition but there are loopholes that allow insurance companies to get away with it. 
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards