Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Alternative to Bubbles or Rice

Hi everyone,
I am trying to figure out a fun alternative to the typical blowing bubbles or throwing birdseed or rice as the bride and groom leave the ceremony. We had been planning to do little nerf-dart guns but they couldnt fill our order (we would need 200+) 
Does anybody have any other creative ideas?
Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alternative to Bubbles or Rice

• Options
    I advocate clapping and cheering.  Free, eco-friendly, easy to do, and not lame.  Because you don't have to get pelted with stuff to really be married.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I went to a wedding where after the ceremony they handed out little bells to everyone for them to ring to send off the B&G.  They were cute and tied with a little bow in the wedding colors. 

However, I'm not going to have anything for the guests to throw/ring/wave at my wedding.  Just didn't feel like it was necessary.
  • Options
    I've seen a couple of weddings where they used sparklers and it looked really pretty. Of course, this would only work if your wedding is outdoor, and there'd be a couple logistical challenges, like getting them all lit at the same time and then providing people with water to put them out.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_alternative-bubbles-rice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:fdf070f3-dc5a-4660-8b0a-ed065f2504f2Post:fd30983f-3f85-4f54-b575-ec73feb813e3">Re: Alternative to Bubbles or Rice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen a couple of weddings where they used sparklers and it looked really pretty. Of course, this would only work if your wedding is outdoor, and there'd be a couple logistical challenges, like getting them all lit at the same time and then providing people with water to put them out.
    Posted by vm_andrews[/QUOTE]

<div>I love the sparkler idea and it looks nice, especially for evening weddings. Unfortunately it was against the fire code at our venue. I like the ribbon idea.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am doing dried rose petals I think.  Check out this site as I they are some of the cheapest I've found....
    http://www.wpetals.com/
    http://www.save-on-crafts.com/
    http://www.rosepetalshop.com/
  • Options
    In order to be helpful and not sound like a party pooper, I will tell you something cute that I've seen. I saw a picture with the colorful fuzzy balls that were in paper cones for the guests to throw. It was done indoors, though, as they were walking down the aisle. This was eco-friendly because you swept it up.
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • Options
    i also like the sparkler idea!  i recently saw where a couple used silly string! and i have heard since then that a different couple used silly string but backwards....they were the one spraying their guests as they ran through them! i think that would be so fun and unexpected! AND you don't get pelted with stuff!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_alternative-bubbles-rice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:fdf070f3-dc5a-4660-8b0a-ed065f2504f2Post:91bdb534-1f28-42bd-b9c4-6ac9dfaf3957">Re: Alternative to Bubbles or Rice</a>:
    [QUOTE]i also like the sparkler idea!  i recently saw where a couple used silly string! and i have heard since then that a different couple used silly string but backwards....they were the one spraying their guests as they ran through them! i think that would be so fun and unexpected! AND you don't get pelted with stuff!
    Posted by CherylE418[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but this is just an awful idea. Silly string has absolutely no place at a wedding.  If it's at the bride and groom-tell me a bride that want silly string on the most expensive dress she'll ever wear.

And as a guest, I'd be p!ssed as he!!-probably p!ssed enough to skip the reception if someon sprayed silly string all over me when I'm dressed up for their wedding.

Spraying silly string shouldn't be done at all once one has reached puberty.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    i love the way the sparklers look in pics for evening weddings. we're going with good ol' clapping though.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we are letting doves go and have everybody clap and cheer great for pictures and no mess.
    save the date planning My Bio updated 05/22/11 image 184 Invited
    image129 are ready to party! image 39 missing out image 16 are driving me crazy
    RSVP Date: May 14, Wedding: June 18
  • Options
    Paper airplanes!  FI and I are pilots, so it's perfect.
    August siggy challenge-Me and my MOH :-) image
  • Options
    I like the ribbon idea and the bells.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_alternative-bubbles-rice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:fdf070f3-dc5a-4660-8b0a-ed065f2504f2Post:eb4fb75c-427e-4763-9377-96b7641f0c99">Re: Alternative to Bubbles or Rice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Paper airplanes!  FI and I are pilots, so it's perfect.
    Posted by AeroGrl0504[/QUOTE]

We did this! It worked out great! (DH is a pilot)

Silly string would take FOREVER to get out of your hair.  I heard that happening to one bride and they spent around 30-1 hr getting it out of thier hair.  Not the way I want to spend my wedding day.

I couldn't get my husband to wave a wand...sorry...little too "young" looking for my taste. 
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went to a wedding last weekend. They had dowels with strips of fabric in the wedding colors tied to them; I've also seen glow sticks, bubbles, clapping...
  • Options
    AeroGrl - I LOVE the paper airplane idea!!
  • Options
    Since our reception is at night, we're going to have glow in the dark bracelets. My FI and I are going to be decked out in them and while I change before we leave the guests will get to choose what colors they want. It's fun and will leave the whole group on a high note. We're getting 300 glow bracelets for 75 people.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_alternative-bubbles-rice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:fdf070f3-dc5a-4660-8b0a-ed065f2504f2Post:d5cd5b2c-19e7-4d6d-a259-64c73e7faee3">Re: Alternative to Bubbles or Rice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alternative to Bubbles or Rice : Sorry, but this is just an awful idea. Silly string has absolutely no place at a wedding.  If it's at the bride and groom-tell me a bride that want silly string on the most expensive dress she'll ever wear. And as a guest, I'd be p!ssed as he!!-probably p!ssed enough to skip the reception if someon sprayed silly string all over me when I'm dressed up for their wedding. Spraying silly string shouldn't be done at all once one has reached puberty.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

<div>this!</div>
  • Options
    i vote for clapping and cheering and we are having the bells rang/rung? ha
  • Options
    I love the bell idea *copies down* lol
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i also just recently heard of having a butterfly release... i have no idea of logistics on this one but if you are a butterfly kind of person it could be fun :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards