Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Guests bringing cookie?

So I'm at work and the guy I work with asks me what the best cookies are to TAKE to a wedding. I have never heard of guests taking cookies to a wedding. Is this something normal that I have missed. He was also talking about taking a dip or something. I'm trying to tell him that whoever is hosting the wedding should have all of the food there and guests should not bring anything. Does someone know something I don't about this because he says it's a "big thing right now" to have guests bring cookies or some other food. 

Re: Guests bringing cookie?

• edited December 2011
    Unless they are doing some sort of "pot luck"?

My family is from northwestern Ohio and the idea of assigned tables and sit down catered meals is somewhat foreign to them.  (Note: there is not a big city within 45 minutes, think farm country!)

It is interesting to see what a wedding is like in a different region or state.  I think we are often caught up in "what has to be". 

Hopefully your co-worker has fun at the wedding!

Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He is most likely wanting to brink cookies to add to the cookie table. Traditionally, friends and relatives of the bride make cookies and have a cookie table. Here is a link talking about the tradition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/dining/16cookies.html

It is mostly prominent in the southwestern Pennsylvania area. If anyone wants to contribute, I would ask them to give them to you in advance!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I agree he may be adding to the cookie table, but the whole "and a dip" thing makes me think that the couple is asking guests to bring food with them.

A friend was invited to a wedding this summer and the invite basically said bring your own chair and booze.
    Crosswalk
  • edited December 2011

They're talking about the cookie table! Are you not originally from the Southwesterm PA area? A big tradition in the area is the cookie table. Even though you/your family prepares many of the cookies for the table, it's not uncommon for guests to bring some of their own to add to the table, although usually they give them to you in advance, rather than bring them the day of the wedding.

• edited December 2011
    I read the post as the guy was asked to bring cookies to the wedding as just a regular  guest, not a family member or anything like that. I think that is weird. Usually only family members or close friends make cookies. I think whoever told him "this is the new big thing" doesn't know what they are talking about.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • alainn15alainn15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lol. I am not from this area, origianlly from Michigan, but I have lived here most of my life. He says it is his best friends little sis that is getting hitched and his mom is making cookies for tehm. We discussed all of your wonderful answers and he decided to drop the cookies off the day before. I was so confused. Thanks Ladies.

Now he is asking me what tyoe of cookies his mom should make (he is only 21). I don't know what to tell him.

Any suggestions?
  • ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is anyone else contributing to the table? Between the woman in my family and DF's family, they each picked 4 different cookies... I think lady locks, caramel delights, biscotti, pitzzels, buck eyes, oreo balls, thumb prints, some kind of fruity cookie, mini cheese cakes, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • alainn15alainn15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, I'll pass those suggestions on to him.

I guess I'm going to have to look into this cookie table thing. My family is from Michigan and FI family is from Korea. We will have to brush up on Pittsburgh area traditions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards