Catholic Weddings

NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :(

Commentary on fundraising to pay for abortions:

http://www.thenation.com/article/166951/dear-pro-choice-women-means

According to the author, if you give money to fund abortions directly, "You will feel a deep sense of satisfaction.  "There's something really powerful about knowing that because of you, a woman can continue on the path she's set out for herself...It feels really good.""

I don't even know where to begin--really, I'm speechless and falling to my knees in desperate prayer for the women who are the subject and the women who are the target of this commentary.

Please join me in praying for a culture of life.
"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)

Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :(

• Wow, I'm completely at a loss.

Several of her "reasons to provide funding" suggest that women who are a) not sexually irresponsible and/or b) mothers cannot be "real leaders."  I will grant that an unplanned pregnancy is certainly a huge setback for some people, but it is this culture that has created the ideas that sex should be completely consequence-free.

Wow.

Just wow.
    Anniversary

• I feel like that should be an Onion article.
    Anniversary

• Wow! How sad. I don't even know where to begin with processing my thoughts into words.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That makes me very sad
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yes, PLEASE let's buy women their birth control pills so men and women can have care-free sex, and let's pay for their abortions because I mean, it's not THEIR fault that they got pregnant from having sex when they didn't want to be pregnant.... and while we're at it, let's also pay for their sterilization because they have a right to have that paid for!

I am sorry for the snark. It's just VERY self-righteous to think that others should pay for YOUR "mistakes" or irresponsibility. Regardless of the differing views on the morality behind it - be responsible for your own actions! I'm sorry, but if I'm being reckless and I crash my car, and my insurance won't cover the damage - I PAY FOR IT MYSELF.

If you aren't able to handle the consequences, don't engage in the activity in the first place.
  • Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Wow. Also is the statistic in the article true? 1 in 3 American women have had an abortion? This just makes me so sad.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-fundraising-to-pay-directly-for-abortions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d972c1cc-4915-43be-9a89-33c57fcb0866Post:5d5cd40a-fbe6-4e12-b0cd-8fb72b4197b6">Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. Also is the statistic in the article true? 1 in 3 American women have had an abortion? This just makes me so sad.
    Posted by Tami87[/QUOTE]

<div>Fortunately (or unfortunately), the thing about statistics is that anyone can manipulate them to say whatever they want.</div><div>
    </div><div>So while 1 in 3 women in the survey pool this article used (which was probably small relative to the general population) may have had an abortion, I'm going to hope that's a statistical inaccuracy.</div>
    Anniversary

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    And you will never know the number of abortions as a result of BCPs that are never noticed....
  • Ugh, this article made my blood boil... but one ray of hope. Did you see the comment by "everyoneshouldhaveachoice"?

"In honor of this plea, I, a pro-choice for EVERY human being woman of means, will be writing three checks for a sizable donation to the three crisis pregnancy centers that are within a 50 mile radius of my home.  I encourage every woman of means to do the same. :)"

Was this one of you ladies? ;-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-fundraising-to-pay-directly-for-abortions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d972c1cc-4915-43be-9a89-33c57fcb0866Post:b94f2549-c57c-4698-9843-fcea1e21afdf">Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :( : Fortunately (or unfortunately), the thing about statistics is that anyone can manipulate them to say whatever they want. So while 1 in 3 women in the survey pool this article used (which was probably small relative to the general population) may have had an abortion, I'm going to hope that's a statistical inaccuracy.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this statistic seems to be the correct (or at least generally accepted one.) I have seen it from many different sources both pro-life and not. It correlates pretty well with the number of pregnancies that end in abortion (varies from 1 in 3 to 1 in 4.)

St. Gianna, pray for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Like everyone else, this left me speechless and sad.  I'm just amazed that it's taken only 40 years for the killing of innocent children to be championed as a good by large segments of society.  I remember when abortion at least used to be described as a "necessary evil".  We have even further to go than I realized :(  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Liberals are really giving me a headache today.  First everyone claiming that the people of NC voted out of "hate" and/or "ignorance of the facts", now this?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-fundraising-to-pay-directly-for-abortions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:d972c1cc-4915-43be-9a89-33c57fcb0866Post:1f9f05bb-01d2-4be4-b7c1-89c80702ef3f">Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh, this article made my blood boil... but one ray of hope. Did you see the comment by " everyoneshouldhaveachoice"? " In honor of this plea, I, a pro-choice for EVERY human being woman of means, will be writing three checks for a sizable donation to the three crisis pregnancy centers that are within a 50 mile radius of my home.  I encourage every woman of means to do the same. :)" Was this one of you ladies? ;-)
    Posted by MedStudent13[/QUOTE]

That was pretty awesome.  The one right below it was pretty disgusting: "If you're not an pro-choice woman who is also intelligent, get back in the kitchen, please."
    Anniversary

• chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-fundraising-to-pay-directly-for-abortions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d972c1cc-4915-43be-9a89-33c57fcb0866Post:f7fc7f37-aa04-4d2d-bf59-50fc8639d64b">Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :( : That was pretty awesome.  The one right below it was pretty disgusting: "If you're not an pro-choice woman who is also intelligent, get back in the kitchen, please."

Crap like that INFURIATES me.  It's so offensive when people say any woman who is pro-life or on the more conservative end of things is uneducated/stupid/oppressed.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-fundraising-to-pay-directly-for-abortions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:d972c1cc-4915-43be-9a89-33c57fcb0866Post:5921db5a-af1a-46db-8805-bae405d902d1">Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :( : Crap like that INFURIATES me.  It's so offensive when people say any woman who is pro-life or on the more conservative end of things is uneducated/stupid/oppressed.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

I read it more as a jab at undereducated, pro-choice women.  The commenter actually wrote "Stick to your baking and begging," because women who "don't know what they're talking about actually make things worse for the rest" of the "pro-choice" movement.

It's just silly and elitist.
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-fundraising-to-pay-directly-for-abortions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d972c1cc-4915-43be-9a89-33c57fcb0866Post:13f60947-833a-4d31-8ea8-c94a89977396">Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Fundraising to pay directly for abortions :( : I read it more as a jab at undereducated, pro-choice women.  The commenter actually wrote "Stick to your baking and begging," because women who "don't know what they're talking about actually make things worse for the rest" of the "pro-choice" movement. It's just silly and elitist.

More evidence of how ANTI-woman the whole business is
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I accidentally stumbled across a pro-choice message board during one of my latenight web boredom moments. Terrible idea...It was pretty hard to get back to sleep when I was seething mad. One poor, unsuspecting woman was commenting about how she was pro-life herself but wasn't trying to stir anything up. Oh. My. Goodness. I've never seen such an angry response before (well, besides on the etiquette board sometimes ;) ). And the arguments were so dumb. "Well, if you truly believe it's murder and we made abortion illegal, then you're saying that every woman who has ever had an abortion should be charged with murder." "It's my body and I get to decide what happens to it" Yes, I absolutely agree - you had the choice whether or not to have sex. Therein lay your choice. ugh.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards