Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Don't want religious readings or lame poems...

My FI and I are having an outdoor ceremony but we are not very religious so the last thing we want is a "love is patient...blah blah blah" reading.

I was thinking of having quotes from movies about love read instead.... What are you thoughts on this? We are big movie/TV buffs, so its very fitting.

Here are a few I've found so far, feel free to add more ideas!

You can be anywhere where when your life begins. You meet the right person and anything is possible. There are millions of people in this world, but in the end it all comes down to one. I still panic sometimes, forget to breathe, but I know that there's something beautiful in my imperfections; the beauty that he held up for me to see. The strength that I will never be able to say. – Crazy/Beautiful

So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day. – The Notebook

Look, I guarantee there'll be tough times. I guarantee that at some point, one or both of us is gonna want to get out of this thing. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life, because I know, in my heart, you're the only one for me. – Runaway Bride

That thing, that moment, when you kiss someone and everything around becomes hazy and the only thing in focus is you and this person and you realize that that person is the only person that you're supposed to kiss for the rest of your life, and for one moment you get this amazing gift and you want to laugh and you want to cry because you feel so lucky that you found it and so scared that that it will go away all at the same time.—Never Been Kissed
Love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. If you don't start with that, what are you going to end up with? Fall head over heels. I say www.romancestuck.com/quotes/movie-quotes.htm">find someone you can love like crazy and who'll love you the same way back. And how do you find him? Forget your head and listen to your heart. I'm not hearing any heart. Run the risk, if you get hurt, you'll come back. Because, the truth is there is no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love - well, you haven't lived a life at all. You have to try. Because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived.- Meet Joe Black   I love that you get cold when it is 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle in your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.- When Harry Met Sally

Re: Don't want religious readings or lame poems...

• I think the movie quotes are a cute idea since you're both movie buffs and your guests will think its cute and appropriate.

However, the 1 Corinthian reading you mocked ("blah blah") is enduring and God's Word is a lot better than made up Hollywood quotes.
  • I like that your making your ceremony more fitting for you and your FI -- I didn't read the quotes...but just wanted to let you know that I think the idea behind it is REALLY cool...for what it's worth!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Love this idea!!! My fiance and I also aren't having a very religious ceremony (it's outdoors as well).  We are going to have his grandfather do a reading- and if it happens to be a little religious that's ok because we want it to be something he likes.  But we are also having my Godmother (I guess a little ironic) do the other reading and I do not want a religious one and I love the idea of a movie quote that means something to you guys! We aren't huge movie buffs but there are a few favorites- guess this weekend I will be watching all my sappy love movies- thanks for sharing because I'm totally using this idea now!!!
  • I just might make sure the people you ask to do readings are comfortable reading these, there's nothing wrong about using movie quotes, and there are tons of good ones, but I can see someone who is a little more traditional being uncomfortable doing the readings.

I mean this is a petty example but I personally think the Notebook is a terrible story about love because she treats her FI like trash (but that's just me, and I always overanalyze chick flicks).

• It's fine to use movie quotes.  You don't have to say "When Harry met Sally, he said....", you can just use them as-is or have them written in your program.

In fact, you don't need readings/poems at all if you don't want them.

• I actually like the idea of just using the quotes in the programs and skipping the readings entirely. I don't know why, but it just seems like somebody getting up in the middle of the ceremony and just reading a few lines (Especially in the case of the ones that are only 2 or 3 sentences long) from a movie seems kind of awkward and out of place to me.

FWIW, DH and I didn't really care for most ceremony readings (Religious or not) either, so we just skipped readings all together in our ceremony ... nobody seemed to mind.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Thanks for the feedback!

I meant no disrespect to the Corinthians reading, I know it by heart, I just feel that it is kind of the "go-to" reading and has been heard a million times. My FI and I want our ceremony to be unique and not religious. 

We thought of forgoing the readings all together but after a bit of deliberation I want to make sure we get every minute's worth of the ceremony (of course we have to pay for the 1/2 hour ceremony... silly venues!)

Anyway, My plan was to arrange the quotes together for them to make sense one going into the other... Example, the Runaway Bride one and the Notebook one would be read together. Of course I wont say, "a quote from Runaway Bride"... that can be something done in the program. The readings will be done by two of my cousins who are in their 20's so it would be appropriate. I'll then find another reading or quote for my Godmother to read. Maybe one more about romance and love than actual dialogue... any ideas?

• Haha! My fiancee and I are aren't religious either, and we're having his best friend officiate the wedding! Those are great ideas.
  • http://weddings.about.com/od/yourweddingceremony/a/NovelReadings.htm

You can try that website also, if you were interested in literature options. 
  • Love your quote idea!  Particularly the Runaway Bride and The Notebook ones Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you seen "The Invention of Lying" with Ricky Gervais. It has a GREAT ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards