Honeymoon Discussions

How to locate inexpensive flights?

I know this is probably a shot in the dark, but I curious whether some of you ladies can offer insight on flights.

We're trying to nail down our honeymoon details right now (we'll be flying out of Charlotte or Atlanta), and we aren't opposed to honeymooning in the states.  We've looked into Hawaii, Belize, and I'm really drawn to the Galapagos Islands but I feel like the flights to those places would eat up so much of our $3000 budget that there wouldn't be anything left.  We're really not crazy about Mexico or a cruise at this point (personal reasons).  Any ideas for a stateside honeymoon or getting good deals on international flights?  Just from Atlanta to Hawaii runs about $1000 pp right now (on a good day).

Help!!

Re: How to locate inexpensive flights?

• My favorite site for flights is kayak.com -- check the box that allows the site to check different nearby airports.
  • I'd recommend signing up for www.travelzoo.com. They send out a "Top 20" list of travel bargains weekly. Sometimes it's flights, some times it's resorts.

Do you or your fiance have any frequent flyer accounts with any of the major airlines? Even if you don't, sign up for one that is a hub near the airports you may be flying from. For example, the metro Detroit airport is a hub for Delta. I get emails whenever they have fare sales.

I peeked at your bio and see you are getting married this July. I could recommend several locations in the US to visit in the summer that are not too hot

Coast of California (which is what we did, if you want my HM spreadsheet just send me a private message below).

New England

Charlotte SC, or anywhere along the middle Atlantic coast like Myrtle Beach (inland is more humid)

Washington DC: If you have never been, I highly recommend for people on a budget. You don't need to rent a car, you can get from any of the surrounding airports, including Baltimore, into the heart of the city with buses, the Metro subway system, or a combination of both. All the museums are free, and you can find restaurants that are reasonable. If you want more info on this, also send private message.

You don't say how long you anticipate taking a HM, but $3000 should be enough for a RT airfare for 2 to any of the places I mentioned, and 5-7 days in hotels, and meals.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_how-to-locate-inexpensive-flights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:37a49a86-18ec-409f-8a58-e8d6424ce34dPost:fe014281-8472-4544-bff0-2556912eac8c">Re: How to locate inexpensive flights?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd recommend signing up for <a href="http://www.travelzoo.com." rel="nofollow">www.travelzoo.com.</a> They send out a "Top 20" list of travel bargains weekly. Sometimes it's flights, some times it's resorts. Do you or your fiance have any frequent flyer accounts with any of the major airlines? Even if you don't, sign up for one that is a hub near the airports you may be flying from. For example, the metro Detroit airport is a hub for Delta. I get emails whenever they have fare sales. I peeked at your bio and see you are getting married this July. I could recommend several locations in the US to visit in the summer that are not too hot Coast of California (which is what we did, if you want my HM spreadsheet just send me a private message below). New England Charlotte SC, or anywhere along the middle Atlantic coast like Myrtle Beach (inland is more humid) Washington DC: If you have never been, I highly recommend for people on a budget. You don't need to rent a car, you can get from any of the surrounding airports, including Baltimore, into the heart of the city with buses, the Metro subway system, or a combination of both. All the museums are free, and you can find restaurants that are reasonable. If you want more info on this, also send private message. You don't say how long you anticipate taking a HM, but $3000 should be enough for a RT airfare for 2 to any of the places I mentioned, and 5-7 days in hotels, and meals.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Neither of us have frequent flier miles (or at least enough to make a dent in airfare costs - I did check into that though.)

I would love to see your California coast spreadsheet - that's something we've tossed around as a "down the road" idea but definitely has honeymoon potential.

Washington DC - Did that last summer, but I would highly recommend to anyone that hasn't!

Along the coast of SC/NC - is it too humid to really enjoy yourself at the beach in July?  I just kind of assumed it would be, but if not you may have opened up another possibility :)
  • Check out Puerto Rico!  AAvacations.com and Bookit.com have some really great deals on flight + hotel packages.  You can currently get both flights and hotel for 7 nights for $1000 per person deparrting from Atlanta in July.  AND no passport needed for Puerto Rico!
  • When are you plaaing on going?  Have you considered Europe?  My fiance and I are taking a European honeymoon trip this August.  We are going to Fly Icelandic Air and will pay about $400-500pp round trip to fly out of NY.  They have excellent (cheap) ways to travel once you're there.  We are touring the UK, and going to Germany, Italy, and plenty of other countries.  We did the math, and our 2-3 week tour of Europe is going to be cheaper than most 2 week cruises.  And we don't have to keep on any schedule.  We will go where we want, when we want.

The only drawback to be careful of is that the Olympics are in London from late July to early September, so England will be busy.  The plus side is that seems to be helping with airfare and hotel costs within the other countries.

Happy planning!!
    Ash
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_how-to-locate-inexpensive-flights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:37a49a86-18ec-409f-8a58-e8d6424ce34dPost:6b51054f-9e97-49e4-871d-b89fda1bd3b9">Re: How to locate inexpensive flights?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When are you plaaing on going?  Have you considered Europe?  My fiance and I are taking a European honeymoon trip this August.  We are going to Fly Icelandic Air and will pay about $400-500pp round trip to fly out of NY.  They have excellent (cheap) ways to travel once you're there.  We are touring the UK, and going to Germany, Italy, and plenty of other countries.  We did the math, and our 2-3 week tour of Europe is going to be cheaper than most 2 week cruises.  And we don't have to keep on any schedule.  We will go where we want, when we want. The only drawback to be careful of is that the Olympics are in London from late July to early September, so England will be busy.  The plus side is that seems to be helping with airfare and hotel costs within the other countries. Happy planning!! Ash
    Posted by crashwee[/QUOTE]

May I ask where your flights are to/from?
  • From JFK (in NY)
    To KEF (Reykjavic)  Once you're there, flights, busfare, taxis, and especially trains are the primary modes of transport.  You can go anywhere.  People in Europe use them to commute every day so the fares are MUCH cheaper than here in the US.  I've been told to get the euro pass to travel even cheaper. (kinda like a monthly subway pass)  If you seriously want to consider traveling to the UK, message me.  I have a ton of info!!

There are a lot of nomadic youngsters in the UK so the hostels are super popular.  A lot of them are better quality than most hotels- and can cost you as low as like $10!!  Dont think of the horror movie- there are plenty of registered hostels that have to pass very scrutinous critics.  You can even join travelers sites to get further discounts on the registered ones.  And yes, a lot of them have private rooms available- they are not all military bunker style  lol

Like I said above, please feel free to message me if you're interested and need more info- I have a ton of info because we are doing this on a super tight budget!!

oh, btw- contact the plane companies directly too to nix the brokerage fees
    www.icelandair.com and you will see all the cities they fly from.  Consider taking a bus to a larger international airport to get cheaper rates.  I'm from Albany, ny and it's literally sometimes half the price to fly out of NYC, rather than ALB.
    -Ash
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Just send me a private message (link below) with your email address and I'll send you the spreadsheet.

Yes, it may be humid in the middle Atlantic states, but it's my experience that the areas nearest the water tend to be less.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards