North Carolina

Aveda Hair Salon, Chapel Hill

Has anyone had their hair done at Aveda? I realize these are students who are supervised by their teachers.
I am thinking of using Aveda for hair and nails. It would be 5 hair appointments (myself, 3 BM, and my sister). I think it would be cute to have my three flower girls get their nails done.

All of this would be paid for by me....so Aveda is looking good b/c of price. Bridal hair and make-up is $45 (including practice for both).

Anyone know of horror stories? Success stories?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Aveda Hair Salon, Chapel Hill

• NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Never used them, but Im planning on using this coupon to check them out :)

http://downloads.self.com/self/pdfs/AvedaCoupon.pdf

Here's information about it :)

http://www.redplum.com/Pages/SweetFinds.aspx#SweetFindArchiveItem_4
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I went to UNC-CH for undergrad and I had 1 or 2 friends who went there and were not pleased.  I'm sure it's kind of "hit or miss", depending on who you get.  I don't know if I would want to risk it, though :/ 
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • edited December 2011
    That's right across the road from my office, so if you do go, let me know!

Since they are students, it's very hit and miss. My sister is a hairstylist and I remember many many times going to her school and seeing other girls in the class screw up some people's hair. I'm very emotionally attached to my hair, I'd cry if something went wrong, so I don't know if I would trust them with my hair, but I'd let them to my mani/pedi.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Can you screw up an updo?? It isn't like they are going to be cutting my hair...
  • edited December 2011
    Well no, I guess you can't screw up an updo too bad. I guess I would do some test runs with one of the students there before hand and see if they can guarantee you to have that same student on the day of. Updo's aren't something that is normally taught in cosmotology school, they don't even teach them a man's haircut, they learn the majority of their skills after they are out of school... so I would definitely give it a test run before deciding.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think you'll be fine.  Like you said, they're not doing anything drastic to you hair like cutting or coloring, so I'm sure they will be able to put it up for you!  I would want a trial first, though...but I had a trial with my hair person, and they've been doing wedding hair for years!  Just something about a trial that kind of puts your fears to ease!  GL!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This probably depends on your hair.  Mine is really slick and straight.  So for my hair to stay in an updo, it takes some major pinning and spraying skills.  If yours is more than likely to cooperate, then you'd probably be fine with a less experienced person.

• CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey! I just wanted to say that I use Aveda for haircuts and single-process color (which is hard to screw up once you get the color right, because they write down the formula.) I've always been happy with what I've gotten, although to be fair I'm never really asking for anything drastic. It does take a long time though, so that can be an issue.

One of my friends used them for her wedding and everyone's hair looked great, it just took a lot longer than a regular salon because the instructors have to come check it and whatnot. As long as no one's hair is being actually cut, updos can be fixed by instructors. (Or at least that's what my friend figured when she booked, no one's hair actually needed any fixing by instructors in the end.)

Maybe I've just been lucky in who I've been assigned to, but I really like going there.

HTH!
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    I stopped by Aveda after meeting with my florist. I was told to check back in August. The girl doing the booking said in August she would know which students were good at updos. Sounds good to me. I'll have a practice done on my hair in mid-August and my other ladies will be a wedding day adventure.

Thanks for the advice/support.
  • edited December 2011
    Plan to be there for a long time. I had a partial highlight done and a trim and it took 6 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards