Michigan-Detroit

Rehearsal dinner in Downtown Detroit

30 people, under $300, in Downtown Detroit.

Is this even possible??

I'm stressing out, because right now, our rehearsal dinner plans are causing people to drive into Detroit to check into their hotel/go to rehearsal, then drive 20 minutes outside of Detroit for dinner, then back into Detroit for their hotel.

I'm having such a hard time finding someplace budget friendly IN the city, and with just over 2 weeks to go, I'm thinking this will be impossible.

Any suggestions?
Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rehearsal dinner in Downtown Detroit

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_rehearsal-dinner-in-downtown-detroit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:fc2665b1-2988-4273-80c6-1d88ff8e26cfPost:4dbbb17f-0b28-4d1d-93fe-58adb3c4d842">Rehearsal dinner in Downtown Detroit</a>:
    [QUOTE]30 people, under $300, in Downtown Detroit. Is this even possible?? I'm stressing out, because right now, our rehearsal dinner plans are causing people to drive into Detroit to check into their hotel/go to rehearsal, then drive 20 minutes outside of Detroit for dinner, then back into Detroit for their hotel. I'm having such a hard time finding someplace budget friendly IN the city, and with just over 2 weeks to go, I'm thinking this will be impossible. Any suggestions?
    Posted by StephLove12[/QUOTE]

You might just want to rent a room at the hotel and get pizza!  You could do a conference room and then have Buddy's Pizza and beer/wine (if the hotel allows it).  Your budget only allows for $10/person AFTER tax/gratuity (usually 26%) so pre tax/gratuity your per-person budget is  $7.40.  I don't know if you're going to get anything at a restaurant in that budget.  Supino's also has EXCELLENT pizza and it is pretty famous in the Detroit area - there is no space for 30 people in there, but you could do the hotel thing.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_rehearsal-dinner-in-downtown-detroit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:fc2665b1-2988-4273-80c6-1d88ff8e26cfPost:e983f2b8-fad6-4a30-a6c3-9755366e673d">Re: Rehearsal dinner in Downtown Detroit</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Rehearsal dinner in Downtown Detroit : You might just want to rent a room at the hotel and get pizza!  You could do a conference room and then have Buddy's Pizza and beer/wine (if the hotel allows it).  Your budget only allows for $10/person AFTER tax/gratuity (usually 26%) so pre tax/gratuity your per-person budget is  $7.40.  I don't know if you're going to get anything at a restaurant in that budget.  <strong>Supino's also has EXCELLENT pizza and it is pretty famous in the Detroit area - there is no space for 30 people in there, but you could do the hotel thing.
    </strong>Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea.  Supino's is so unique and totally Detroit!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • We're doing Supino's for our rehearsal dinner of about 35-40 people, but at our house outside of the city. We faced the same problem as you with making people drive 20 minutes out of Detroit after the rehearsal, then back again for those staying in Detroit, but we got to the point where we're just asking people to deal with it for this one night only.

It's mainly our wedding party who is staying in Detroit and they're all going to carpool to cut down on the driving/number of cars.
  • PPs have given good ideas.  Another thing you could do is call around to a few restaurants and tell them what you want to do and see if they can come up with a limited menu for just your WP that will keep costs down.  Perhaps a restaurant in Southwest Detroit Mexican Town could work out a decent priced menu.  There are quite a few restaurants there like Xochimilco, Los Galanes and Mexican Village to name a few.
  • edited September 2012
    Has anyone been to RUB BBQ? Right of Woodward and Adams? They have onsite catering with a private room. FI just got off the phone with them and they said they can customize their catering menu to stay under 300. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_rehearsal-dinner-in-downtown-detroit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:fc2665b1-2988-4273-80c6-1d88ff8e26cfPost:78ba6094-d866-451e-8aa8-28ddbcd8f938">Re: Rehearsal dinner in Downtown Detroit</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone been to RUB BBQ? Right of Woodward and Adams? They have onsite catering with a private room. FI just got off the phone with them and they said they can customize their catering menu to stay under 300. 
    Posted by StephLove12[/QUOTE]

I haven't personally been there but I'm an avid Yelp user:

<a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/rub-bbq-and-pub-detroit" rel="nofollow">http://www.yelp.com/biz/rub-bbq-and-pub-detroit</a>

They have so-so ratings.

Check out Supino:

<a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/supino-pizzeria-detroit" rel="nofollow">http://www.yelp.com/biz/supino-pizzeria-detroit</a>

I think Rubb would be just fine, but make sure that they can keep it below $300 AFTER tax and gratuity.  I got many quotes for "under" my budget and then they were like, Oh, by the way, it's another 26% on top of that. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Restaurants I'd look into for 30 people at $300............(assuming that does not include alcohol)

Fishbone's in Greektown. It might be too expensive to order meals, but perhaps several appetizers. You can also call ahead and see if they would be willing to give you a limited menu.

You could also look into the Hard Rock Cafe. Yes, it's loud, but they may be able to accomodate your larger group at your price range.

There are 3 other restaurants, but not sure about prices and size of your party: Hockeytown Cafe, The Town Pump and Centaur, both of which are behind the Hockeytown Cafe.

It is Detroit Restaurant Week from 9/28- 10/7 (not sure this includes your rehearsal night). Link to list of restaurants here: http://www.detroitrestaurantweek.com/restaurants.html
    If you click on the restaurant you'll see the menus they are offering for the Restaurant Week Special. It's possible they all won't be able to accomodate that many people at the set price, but look into it anyway.

The base price is $30 per person for a 3 course meal. If you can cut your guest list, you can probably swing it under $300. Of the restaurants on there I can recommend Andiamo, Da Edoardo Foxtown Grille, and the Whitney. However, any of them are marvelous.

Good luck. Don't give up!
  • Restaurants on the cheaper end?

• Our rehearsal dinner is going to be at Xochimilco and I believe it'll be pretty inexpensive! 
    Anniversary
  • Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    I live next door to Rub BBQ and I have a pretty strong dislike for it. Their BBQ is fine I guess, their mac and cheese is/was bad (I've refused to go back for months, so I suppose I can't comment if they've improved it).

We did Detroit Beer Company. They have an upstairs area that worked. I'm not sure of the cost, but I'd say it was $12-$15/head. Could possibly get it cheaper. I also like the idea of Supinos. Armando's or Mexican Village would be good options in Mexicantown, but that still requires driving assuming your ceremony isn't in SW :-)

Another option is Slows to Go in Midtown if you had a place to host it (i.e. your home).

Ooooh, I think LOTON or someone had theirs at Pizza Papalis in Greektown. That could be affordable...
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Our original plan was Slows To Go, and bring it all back to my parents house. The problem with that is all the driving out of towners would be doing between their hotel, the rehearsal site, and my parents house. I just don't think it's fair to them to have them driving around all of metro Detroit when most of our bridal party is not familiar with the area at all.

Of course I got everyone excited about BBQ, so I was hoping RUB would be a decent compromise. I expect it to be nothing like Slows, but at least it is a place to sit down and eat food. My options are limited, so I'm going to just go with RUB and hope for the best. 
  • What about Redsmoke BBQ in Greektown? That's better than Rub.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_rehearsal-dinner-in-downtown-detroit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:fc2665b1-2988-4273-80c6-1d88ff8e26cfPost:165da2ec-0cd3-4ee5-811b-fa271af341bd">Re: Rehearsal dinner in Downtown Detroit</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about Redsmoke BBQ in Greektown? That's better than Rub.
    Posted by Meegles4[/QUOTE]

<div>I contacted Redsmoke before I even tried RUB. They're out of price range. :-(</div>
  • I second the beer company, I love that place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • What about Pizza Papalis in greektown?? Order a few chicago style pizzas (1 slice will be plenty for most women) and some app's you should be fine! maybe a couple pitchers of beer?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards