Wedding Woes

Movie Reviews

Scre4m:

I really liked the first one when I saw it, but I was in my first year of undergrad, I think, and at that point I thought Ally McBeal held the meaning of life, so I have no idea how it would hold up now.  Regardless, I figured that despite how awful the second and third instalments were, I'd give this one a try (mostly because someone told me it was good). 

It was okay, I guess.  I mean, the beginning was fun, especially the part with Kristen Bell and Anna Paquin, but the rest of it... I don't know.  I just felt ho-hum about it, as though I'd seen it all before (three times).  And there was a sort of hand-waving effort as social commentary, to make it meaningful or something, and they even almost did something interesting with the end before completely punking out, but... blah.  It wasn't really fun to watch, and the end didn't feel particularly rewarding, but at least it wasn't I Melt With You (http://tinyurl.com/9dyf87g), so I'm not that upset at having wasted a couple of hours.

Finding Nemo:

I heard over and over how good this movie was, and since it was Pixar, I figured it wouldn't be another Chasing Amy incident.  I was not wrong.

For those of you who haven't seen this movie, and don't know if you want to, it's all about helicopter parents, and boy, could I relate.  I'd love to get together with Nemo and Rapunzel and have dinner, and exchange stories.  I'm sure it'd be more poignant if I were a parent and looking at it from Marlin's perspective, but even without that added significance, it was a damn good time.  So overall, it wasn't as good as Up, but it was better than Toy Story, which despite my reviews, I also actually liked.

If you're considering whether or not to see it in 3D, do it.  It's not one of those ones where the images come out at you and throw you out of the experience - it's a well-done 3D that just seems to give the images greater depth, to make you feel more a part of what's going on.

Re: Movie Reviews

• you are just NOW seeing Finding Nemo?

that movie is gr-r-r-eeaat! dory is the best.
  • Dory made me cry a little.
  • re: finding Nemo

I HATE HATE HATE going to aquariums and hearing adults say "look a Nemo-fish!" "look! a Dory-fish!!!" "ZOMG LOOK AT ALL OF THE NEMOS!!!!!!!!1!"

(i could understand it from little kids, but adults should be able to read the mf-ing signs if they don't know what they're looking at)

Nemo = clownfish
    Dory = hippo tang

not that tough. 
  • Nemo is one of my favorites.
  • :::giggles at hippo tang:::
  • I lub Nemo.  The turtles are my favorite.

I remember watching Nemo with my niece when she was ~2 or so and when Nemo was lost and his dad was on the screen, she'd ask, "Where's Nemo?" When Nemo came on the screen, she'd ask, "Where's Nemo's dad?" Lather, rinse, repeat 20 or so times.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_movie-reviews-45?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:5a9a3fda-861f-4640-a954-8e34651ddc5aPost:249b1911-f8c7-4b6c-a746-7f8653e7b8b3">Re: Movie Reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]I lub Nemo.  The turtles are my favorite. I remember watching Nemo with my niece when she was ~2 or so and when Nemo was lost and his dad was on the screen, she'd ask, "Where's Nemo?" When Nemo came on the screen, she'd ask, "Where's Nemo's dad?" Lather, rinse, repeat 20 or so times.
    Posted by mrs.conn23[/QUOTE]

This was my nephew, exactly!   He's 7 now and we still tease him about "where's nemo?" "where's nemo's daddy?" "where's nemo's mommy?"   Poor kid.
  • Agreed that Nemo looks phenomenal in 3D.  This has been the Woozle's favorite movie for over a year now, but I never cared enough to watch it until then, so I had only seen it on DVD to this point.  Just beautiful. 

The ending ALWAYS makes me tear up, when Marlin watches Nemo swim away, no matter how much I see it.  Probably a conditioned response by now.  I have little eye pinpricks just remembering.

I'm partial to Peach, myself.
  • now *I* am laughing at hippo tang.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards