Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Reception Sites! Help!

I'm looking to have my wedding reception in Pittsburgh, in or around the city.  The church is Trinity Lutheran in Oakland.  I'm having a very hard time finding an afforadable reception location within the area.  I've looked at 7 sites so far and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.  The places I've looked have been nice, but not exactly what I'm looking for.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Re: Reception Sites! Help!

• pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where have you looked?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    The Rennaisance Hotel, Rivers Club, Grand Concourse, The Priory, The Doubletree City Center, Hilton Garden Inn at Southepointe, and the Pittsburgh Zoo
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe check out Soldiers and Sailors or the Cathedral Room at St. Nicholas (a very affordable option)...both are in Oakland...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicWedding Countdown Ticker
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PP had 2 good suggestions.  Twentieth century club in Oakland can be affordable, depending on how much your guests drink (consumption-based bar).  Lemont can also be affordable, but its further away and has a consumption bar as well.  The Aviary is another affordable option

If you tell us # of guest and reception budget, we can try to let you know if any of the above will work.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at one of the places mentioned, Soliders & Sailors. Let me know if you want any information about it. I think it's one of the best kept secrets as far as wedding receptions go...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Y I OughtaY I Oughta member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is also the little known Bigelow conference and reception site. It's very nice.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • arf3420arf3420 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having ours at the Pittsburgh Opera House in the strip.  Our church is also in Oakland, so it's really close to there.   It's very, very affordable if you're willing to go the DIY route.  The space is beautiful (kind of an artsy feel to it, two story high ceilings, huge windows everywhere). Unfortunately, they don't really have any good pics on their website, but it's worth going to see!  I was amazed how nice it was once I saw the inside :-)  
    And they let you bring in any caterer you choose, and you supply your own alcohol.   We estimate our total per person cost to be less than $40 - probably around $30-35, but definitely under $40 (including absolutely everything! food, alcohol, cake, servers, venue, taxes, tips, etc), which is WAY less than any other places I'd looked at.  And they have been very quick to respond and easy to work with so far.  Their size is also very flexible, can work for small weddings or huge weddings up to 350.  We're having about 150.  PM me if you'd like more info!   

(FYI - I think the biggest trick to making it so affordable is the caterer...  Our Little Secrets Catering in West MIfflin - her food is amazing!!!  It's a smaller operation, so everything is made from scratch.  And she's giving us a buffet with twice as many food choices as we'd seen offered by any other caterers for only $14 per person!! plus tax and tip.)

Congrats and good luck! :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks @arf3420 for your suggestion! We are planning for Heinz Chapel, April 2013. I will definitely check that place out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was away for a little while.  Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I have a lot of good stuff to work with now.  I'm having around 150 guests with a budget between 10k and 12k.  I am really interested in the opera house idea!
  • throwermelthrowermel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just started planning a PITTSBURGH destination wedding! I'm excited we have family in pittsburgh and down south.  So we need to look at chartering a bus for family to travel from down south to pittsburgh for our fall wedding. I want a dream venue for the reception to include doves and a carriage ride from the church to reception. Any ideas for affordable venues budget 10k and 100 guest.  

Thank you,

Mel   
  • edited December 2011
    Try the Holiday inn Airport in Corapolis. Their minimum is $6000 plus we saved 15% off our package for book our reception before Oct 31st!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards