Just Engaged and Proposals

Wedding dates

I am recently engaged and we are trying to set a date. My fiance wants to make it our dating anniversary because it falls on a Saturday (we have been dating for a while, so that date is special to us). The only problem is that my best friend would be getting married 6 days later, and she claimed the date 6 months ago. My fiance doesn't think it'll be a problem but me and my friend will both be standing up in each others weddings and we will share some of the same guests. I foresee a total wedding overload for everyone. My friend said she doesn't mind if get married the week before but I think she is too nice to say no. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Re: Wedding dates

• Just so you know, that whatever date you pick it will be special because it becomes your wedding date (you may want to mention this to FI).  But I totally agree with you that 2 weddings so close may be a little hectic (more on you and the other bride).  Come your wedding, she may be busy finishing last minute things and stressed.  And for hers, you may be so glad your wedding is over that you may not want to participate in her wedding anymore. However, if your FI is unwilling to budge on the date, then you may have to just suck it up.  I would just mention your worries to your FI.  Also, talk to your parents to make sure you have a good time for everyone.  Sure their opinion may not be of the utmost importance, but if you want them there, it's always nice to make sure the date works for them too.
  • this is a tough one because it is alot of excitement in one week. I would probably move it because it's a;so stressful having 2 weddings in one week, esp one where you are both standint up.. but thats just me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also keep in mind that if you are going  on a honeymoon and both weddings are in the same week, you'll probably have to either wait until her wedding is over, or have a very short honeymoon.
  • I was in the same boat and the other bride and myself eventually decided that it would be too difficult to be in one another's wedding party. Our weddings are a week apart, it originally wasn't to be that way, but they ended up changing their date. We are still on good terms, although it did cause a rift in our friendship. It would have been extremely hectic. My fiance and I are going to cut our "honeymoon" (a camping trip since it's going to be in June) short in order to be home the next weekend for their wedding.

• Talk to your friend, ask her opinion.
  • Maybe you should both just respectfully bow out of each others weddings so you can have your date and she can have hers. With the stress your friend may not be as supportive of during your day and like wise, you don't want to short change your honeymoon. It's ok, because you both will having amazing wedding stories and you have to do whats best for you!
  • I would probably pick another date because that's just going to be too much for both of you.  Your wedding date is going to be special whatever date you pick.  Plus, then you can celebrate two annivesaries!
  • i never understand the idea of picking out a specific date - the day will be special because it will be your wedding anniversary. that in itself is special. i would choose a new date. think about how your friend feels, i know i would be upset but would feel too immature to speak up if i was in that situation
    Photobucket
  • Personally, I would pick a different date. Your dating anniversary will remain special even if you don't get married on that day.
  • My best friend and I got engaged a week apart and I had this same concern initially.  Fortunately, she is getting married Spring 2010 and I'm Fall 2010.  As the time gets closer, we are starting to do more for her wedding (planning bachlorette/bridal shower, selecting dresses, etc).  Since they are separated by a few months, I feel that we can focus on her and really treasure the time for her and then focus on me.  This is one of the most exciting days for you and her.. Don't you want to treasure both events?

Also, I agree with Jeanna85, put yourself in her shoes, she has had this date set for 6 months.  If your wedding was a week before, she would probably feel torn between really focusing on the excitment of your day, while also managing the stress of finalizing all of her last minute details.  I would suggest some time in between. 
  • I would say pick another day not in the same month. I think that way since your friend already has her date planned, you can get tips and ideas from her and the two of you can help plan each other wedding, and be there wholeheartly for each other. If you do decide to get married the same month maybe you and the friend can start a new bond including the FH where both couples can celebrate your anniversaries together!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards