Not Engaged Yet

I hate antibiotics

So Thanksgiving  I was given a swell treat: a UTI! Oh joy. Saturday I was able to get into a doctors to have it looked at and now I'm on antibiotics and Pyridium.

Problem is, the antibiotics make me feel sooo sick and headachey. Argh. I want to go barf so badly. Luckily I only have to take them for a few more days, but in those few days I have the American Chemical Society (ACS) exam, a huge presentaion, a systemic animal physilogy exam, a long list of chapter questions to answer, and a take home essay final in reproductive physiology that takes several hours to answer one question. Not sure how I'm gonna do all that while feeling like crap.

On the bright side, my pee looks like Easter egg dye! At least that much is fun.

What obstacles must you all overcome this week? I need inspiration :P

Re: I hate antibiotics

• PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It actually could be the Pyridium that's giving you the sick feeling. I get UTIs fairly frequently (as does my mother), and I've found that certain brands of phenazopyridine based medication make me sick while others don't. You could try over the counter ones that don't have as high as a dosage. Personally, Azo doesn't make me sick, but Rite-Aid brand does. Pyridium is in between.
  • zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I though about that, and if that's the case I'm at least done with it now (took my last one this morning). But I almst always get sick when I take antibiotics, and my tummy gets angry soon after taking these anitibiotics but not after the Pyridium. But I'm kinda hoping it's the Prydium, Then it'll go away soon :P

• edited December 2011
    That sucks.  Next time you get one (knocks on wood that you won't) tell the doctor to give you a different drug.  Good luck on your test!
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    Oh, man that sucks! Sorry you feel crappy.

This week... ugh. Okay, well, I need to do a final project for Visual Communication, which means build a website. The only topic I could come up with is to build a personal portfolio site with my resume, so there we go. I've done nothing else and it's due Friday.

I also have to read an entire book for history by this weekend. And study for my Vis Comm exam, and Astronomy exam. And help arrange this weekend's Santa Paws pictures for APAWS. Then actually volunteer Saturday and Sunday at the Santa Paws (I hear that at least a couple of people every year bring cats. That's a good idea how?)

Friday will be fun, though. It's the office Christmas party on my boss' yacht. However, last year we went to a seafood restaurant and the only thing I could eat that was meatless was a spinach side salad without bacon and a baked potato with butter. It wasn't very satisfying compared to the feasts everyone else had (and the boss paid for it, too). Embarassed

But, I'll bring snacks with me this year (maybe a pb&j sammich) and get drunk. Last year I was brand new and too nervous to have more than one drink the whole day!

So, if I can make it until Friday I'll get some stress relief! Next week is finals, though.
    Anniversary
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend yogurt, I personally eat Stonyfield yogurt. Sometimes antibiotics will kill all the bacteria, and most yogurts will replace the good bacteria. In other news, if you get sick from antibotics try to stay away from the Z-pak tri-pack.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Silly question, but are you eating when you take the antibiotics? If not, try taking them with a glass of milk or some bread, that helps a lot of times with me when I take antibiotics (you never want to take them on an empty stomach). Another recommendation is taking probiotics, either in yogurt form or in suppliment form (you can usually get those at a drug store or Whole Foods).

As for me, I'm prepping for my Ph.D. proposal defense on next Thursday. I basically have to get up there in front of the professors and student body of my university (graduate program) and defend what I'm doing and why I'm doing it for my Ph.D. dissertation. The profs can grill you all they want, and I've heard some rumors that some will deliberately gun for you. I went to one last week and the guy got roasted, which didn't help my nerves at all. I just have to get through next week, and (hopefully) the rest of my holiday season should be golden.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't tried probiotics, but I have been eating. It sadly doesn't help. But I'll definitely try the probiotics!

Here's hoping we all make it through the week!

• hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you taking Bextra? I took that and not only did it make me sick, but I also broke out in hives after 9 days. Just be very careful. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards