North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

The Pearl

Hi,

Has anyone had their reception at the pearl? If so, how was it? We can't decide if we should have a catered dinner at our renal house or  get married on the beach front at the pearl and having a small dinner reception. 

Thanks!

Re: The Pearl

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

My SIL got married there 3 years ago and it was a fabulous time!  It was really neat being able to dance on the small outdoor patio and then walk right to the beach if you wanted too.

I had a really tough time deciding between renting a venue or an event home and having a catered dinner and what we found was that doing it at a private beach house can sometimes be more expensive, not to mention stressful, than doing a venue.  Also, finding the perfect event home that can hold everyone with an open floor plan can be tricky, they are out there...just tricky to get THE right one. 

The good thing about having a venue is it can also be your rain back up and everything is already there for you and the atmosphere of the venue can lend a big hand in your decor.  Have you been to obx yet to see some places in person?

Both really do have their pros and cons but ultimately, it will come down to what feel you are going for.  Im sure either way you go, it will be a fabulous night!

Been vacationing in obx since I was a kid so feel free to ask away....anything from vendors to welcome bags for guests, etc.

Happy Planning!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We decided to go with the pearl.  It was the perfect size for our small wedding (actually, we have more than enough room) and just seemed like it would be easier to pull together than a reception at our rental house.  I agree that there are pros/cons.  The biggest drawback we can think of is set up and clean up.  If we were doing it at our rental, we'd be able to set up the night before our wedding and clean up the day after.  Now, I have to leave the set up to family members and I hate that.  We haven't quite decided how we'll do clean up yet since we're heading to other photo locations to catch the sunset with our photographers. 

The benefits are obvious-- great food, great location, and fewer vendors to coordinate.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    LOVE that dress Teach!  Very very pretty ;)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_pearl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:c6591272-9d36-40fc-8ecf-f5cec5622dc4Post:25f343c2-55b1-4c62-98b7-8e7dbd5611d0">Re: The Pearl</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOVE that dress Teach!  Very very pretty ;)
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

Awww, thanks!
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also booked The Pearl for our wedding. I'm in the same boat, I went and looked at rental homes, but after I figured out all the costs and drama involved, chose The Pearl instead. Hope we can help eachother plan! BTW, I have pics of the reception room if you want me to share for inspiration. I'm in the midst of deciding what to rent, because apparently the linens, tables & chairs are all included, but I want to add a few rented elements to bring the room some color. Let me know if you come up with some fun ideas and good luck!!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're renting sashes and chair covers separately because they were cheaper than using the rentals from The Pearl.  We also opted to rent napkins because white was included there, but we wanted green.

We're doing a lot with flowers, so I don't think I'll use too many other decorations.  I had thought about doing paper lanterns, but since we're leaving after dinner instead of dancing the night away, I didn't think it would be worth it.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_pearl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:c6591272-9d36-40fc-8ecf-f5cec5622dc4Post:97ef25f0-af5d-4f37-b49a-5cd73cdb0263">Re: The Pearl</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We're renting sashes and chair covers separately because they were cheaper than using the rentals from The Pearl.</strong>  We also opted to rent napkins because white was included there, but we wanted green. We're doing a lot with flowers, so I don't think I'll use too many other decorations.  I had thought about doing paper lanterns, but since we're leaving after dinner instead of dancing the night away, I didn't think it would be worth it.
    Posted by ms_teach[/QUOTE]

Where did you find these for rental?
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had checked the local place-- metro rental I think?  That's where we're getting our beach chairs and sound system, and if I remember correctly their linen costs beat the Pearl too.  BUT, then I was looking online and linenhero.com ended up being the best deal, even with shipping.  I ordered swatches for free and two full size samples just to make sure I picked the right one for almost nothing.

FI was kind of one the fence about the linens, but I promised him I could find a better deal so he agreed.  It's worth looking around.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    SNUFF11311SNUFF11311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! We decided to go with the Pearl it's much easier and less stressful and from what I remember the food was great.

Sarah - I would love to see pictures if you have some. I was there about three years ago and only remember the outside area.  Being from Boston I won't be able to check it out before hand.

Thanks!
    Samantha
  • Options
    jkramasjkramas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sorry to be jumping into this conversation months later, I just joined today!

I have sent two inquires to The Pearl re a proposal an have not heard back.  What is the round about price per seat and seating capacity for The Pearl? 

Thanks very much!!

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    I jsut went down this weekend and took some pics of The Pearl so PM me your email and I will gladly send them to you :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_pearl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:c6591272-9d36-40fc-8ecf-f5cec5622dc4Post:2e259325-9f23-412d-8fdc-942e9987c0dc">Re: The Pearl</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry to be jumping into this conversation months later, I just joined today! I have sent two inquires to The Pearl re a proposal an have not heard back.  What is the round about price per seat and seating capacity for The Pearl?  Thanks very much!!
    Posted by jkramas[/QUOTE]

We're getting married at the pearl June 24th this year (friday).  I know they just opened for the season a week or two ago, so that might be some of the delay. They're also really laid back, but hightly recommended.  I'm a little stressed that we don't have our final menu, cake, layout, prices, etc. Our RSVP date is May 6th, so I'll definitely get in touch with Trish after that to nail the food and money down.  Sometimes we get a better response when we call instead of email, but things said over the phone vs. what we get in writing later isn't always the same, so I prefer email just to have stuff in writing.

We're renting the private event room for $500 and the price per person for food is $45 for the menu she gave me.  I'm not sure what the capacity is... my guess would be somewhere near 100-150 depending on layout and if you need room to dance or not. We want to change the menu, but were told we couldn't do that until the wedding gets closer since they change their menu each season. 
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards