Moms and Maids

Mother of the Bride Outdoor Wedding Attire

My daughter is getting married in August.  The wedding is very casual, on location at a farm location with a historic house and barn.  Tables are picnic, there is an orchard, split rail fence, etc... 

Her dress:  Simple, empire, ivory crepe with a long eggplant colored sash which will be tied in a bow at the back to cover the residual cords from the lace up back.  Both bride and groom may be barefoot.  Very casual.

Colors in the wedding:  The theme is "Natural and Wildflowers" with an emphasis on eggplant and dark green.  There will be an abundance of flowers in bloom; dahlias, peonies, sunflowers, etc.

My question:  Is it appropriate for me to wear an eggplant fitted jacket with a portrait collar (small beadwork on rim of collar), wide leg black pants (possibly linen), dress sandals with my hair up and tear drop earrings?

Just want to get it right! 

Thanks!!!Laughing

Re: Mother of the Bride Outdoor Wedding Attire

• edited December 2011
    I think that sounds like a very nice outfit! A light coloured shirt (cream?) under the jacket might lighten the look since it's going to be in August. Sounds like it's going to be a beautiful wedding! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds perfect to me.

• edited December 2011
    I like it!

And on a total tangent - my mom and FMIL ate completely concerned about what they are wearing to my wedding. They are constantly asking me about "what do you want me to wear?" Truthfully, I don't have the time or the patience to pick an outfit for them! I just want them to wear something nice that they like - and it can't be white.

So I guess the point is that as long as you like what you're wearing, and as long as it's nice (which it sounds like it is!), then I wouldn't worry about it!

Hope that didn't come across as snarky - not meant to be offensive! Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    August 13, 2011
    RSVP Date: June 17th

119 image Invited to party!!
    65 image Have decided to (also) be awesome!
    41 image Are party poopers
    13 image Can't Find their mailbox...

• edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone.  Even with 15 years under my belt as an event manager, it's still hard not to get a little stressed.  I REALLY appreciate your feedback, great idea about lightening it up with a white lace cami peeking out and some pearl drop earrings.  Maybe even change out the black buttons in front in favor of clear or semi-pearlized.

Ballet slippers might work too.  I imagine there will be alot of walking around, supervising, etc....

BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO ALASEN, MARIE POPPY AND MEGAN!  Looks like you we are all on the count down.  It will be wonderful for you all.

• edited December 2011
    Sounds lovely, but I might go for pants other than linen. I CANNOT keep linen from getting wrinkled and you will be in a lot of pics that day!
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-bride-outdoor-wedding-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:e2055209-abcc-4247-a5c6-2c78bbd2f385Post:752604b1-7ce9-4edf-b02d-36833cd9a5b4">Re: Mother of the Bride Outdoor Wedding Attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds lovely, but I might go for pants other than linen. I CANNOT keep linen from getting wrinkled and you will be in a lot of pics that day!
    Posted by FutureJilliannD[/QUOTE]

This. And it may get hot, so make sure whatever you wear under the jacket is something you'd be comfortable wearing alone (bra straps not showing, etc.) so you can take the jacket off if you get too hot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards