New Jersey
Options

XP: Advice please!

So I was emailing my venue today with some questions leading up to my final meeting with them before their final payment and I feel slighted. There is a good chance we will not meet the 125 minimum we are contracted for. Okay fine. We know we have to pay for 125 no matter what. I ask about possible upgrades in the event of a significant difference in numbers (such as 110 actual guests) and am told that it is their policy not to upgrade.

Excuse me? You can take my money and stick it in your pocket and let it grow fat since you will not be serving all those additional meals but you can't compensate me by throwing in a specialty salad or an additional dessert plate but it is okay for you to keep my extra $100/pp for people who aren't there?! *sigh*

How should I approach this with the venue in the most tactful and profesional means I can?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: XP: Advice please!

• Options
    cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do they have that in writing on the contract? I'd definitely be a little annoyed about that too.. I'm hoping this doesn't happen, but this might be our situation as well. Our minimum is 125 people and it is looking like we may JUST hit that, or be slightly under. If it was only a couple people, FI was going to ask them to wrap up that many extra dinners and let us take them home (we already know we can take food home). What can they possibly say about that? We are paying for those dinners technically, so they should give them to us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're paying for the dinners, I don't see why they can't upgrade the actual dinners or throw something else in @ cocktail hour.  I would say exactly what you said here, in the most polite, yet firm, way possible.  Did you happent to ask if vendors count toward minimum?  How many ppl are you under by?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can ask politely if they will offer you additional food, but if they won't budge then there's probably nothing you can do. At three weeks out, they know that you're not going to cancel your event.

Believe me, I feel your pain. We also guaranteed 125 people and wound up having 120 show up on the wedding day thanks to some last-minute dropouts (I'm talking being handed phone messages from absent guests as we were walking into the reception hall on our wedding day) and people who just never bothered to reply.

We wound up reaching out to some single guests and inviting them to bring a date or a friend, and also inviting friends of my parents and siblings who wouldn't otherwise have been invited and were well aware of that fact (so it wasn't like a B-list thing, more like a "do me a favor?" thing). We still wound up paying for empty chairs, and it's frustrating but it's something we had to let go after a while.
  • Options
    altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you have to pay for the meals then you should at least be able to take them with you?
    What about if you ask if you can use your vendors towards the min headcount?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I plan to try to count my vendors. My contract states that I have the 125 minimum but nowhere does it say that we cannot upgrade meals/apps/etc in the case that we are under. I am paying for 125 no matter what so I think I should be compensated in a manner that aids my guests enjoyment.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you mind me asking what venue this is?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards