Canada-Ontario

Plus Size Gowns?

I've heard that once you're over a real size ten in the wedding dress world, you're a plus size, as gowns are made on the small side.

I'm a size 16 (I'll be a 14 in about 5 more pounds!) so I'm defintely a plus for now. While I've only been to one store so far, and an outlet store at that, I'm a little worried about selection of gowns under $1000. I know they are already hard to come by at reasonable prices, and having only been able to fit in 18's at the one store I wonder if I'll be able to find somethind.

Anyone know of a store in Toronto (GTA) that has a great selection of plus sizes? I'm looking for something modern and am not willing to buy online (I always have a great deal of trouble fitting in things and don't want the hassle and stress of returns)

Thanks ladies!

Re: Plus Size Gowns?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The shop where I bought my gown - Bridals on Spadina - had a whole rack of plus size samples. The ladies in the shop were great and they had a good selection of dresses under $1,000. (Mine was $550 + tax.) BUT if you end up buying there, try to find another seamstress for alterations. I was not very impressed. They're on the east side of Spadina, just south of Adelaide.

Just up the street on Spadina, you can also visit Bridal Fashion Fraire. I didn't really keep my eye open for plus size dresses, but the store has a HUGE selection in general (with lots of dresses under $1,000) so I'm willing to bet that they have some plus size stuff too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I agree Bridal Fashion Fraire had a great selection of gowns under 1000, under 500 even, but I'm not sure about their range of sample sizes.

But you could call and ask 416-598-3174
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did all my shopping in Oakville/Burlington/Hamilton, but just to speak to the availability of samples, most of the dresses I tried on were 14's or bigger.  Not many stores had only smaller samples, so don't feel like they won't be there!

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Who told you that? I'm surprised becuase a lot of bridal dresses are not actually accurate real dress sizes. So if you were let's say a 12 in real life you'd actually be a 16 or something in a Bridal dress. I'm a 12 and my dress a 16, it really has to do with the actual size of your Breast, Waist & Hips (most woman don't fit the standards, some may be bigger in other areas) so I think that's why the sizes are so big. When I was first shopping for my dress all the samples were quite often really big and they had to be pinned. Most stores have a range of sizes so i'm sure you'll be fine. I bought my dress at Angie's Boutique in Waterdown.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow! Thanks so much for the recommendations! I will definitely check these places out!

My grandma lives in Waterdown/Flamborough so maybe next time I visit I'll check out Angies. She'd probably really like that :)

As for where I heard it, I've read it a few places. It seems to be true that the sizing is crazy, but glad to hear the selection part might be a bit off :)
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think what they mean by "gowns are made on the small side" is that a size 12 wedding dress is smaller than say, a size 12 dress from The Gap. This is because of vanity sizing from clothing retailers; most wedding dress manufactureres haven't followed vanity sizing. (Basically, exactly what amanda said)

So, even if you're a size 14 or 16, don't be discouraged if you end up buying a size 18 or 20 dress. It's just a number... I'm sure you'll be beautiful regardless!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Carley, 
    I found that The Dress Room on the Danforth actually had a ton of dresses in plus size to try on! Also, although it might be a hike, Everlasting Memories in Port Perry has a mini room devoted to plus size gowns. 

:) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 905mom905mom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    give Elizabeth's in Georgetown a try.  My daughter just bought her gown there and the staff are amazing!!!!!  When we were in there were 2 girls (plus size maybe 18) trying on their gowns for fittings and they were thrilled with the results!  I have to say they did look fabulous!
  • suellen2bwedsuellen2bwed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard that hilltop bridal in Barrie specializes in plus size, and the Proper Topper in Caladonia is supose to be very good.  I am in the same boat and have been putting it off! There is a great web site out of the USA Romantic Gowns, they have tons of gowns, but I am hesitant to order something that I have not tried on. I am in love with a dress that no one has here , so I am looking for a similar style to try to see how it would look.
    Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards