Hawaii

So, talk to me about your reception

Because I love hearing plans!

Is it a typical one? Are you doing anything to entertain your guests outside of dancing? Are you forgoing dancing? How are you setting up your reception area? Are you doing a lounge? Are you indoors or out?

Re: So, talk to me about your reception

• edited December 2011
    I would say our reception is going to be more laid back than most. We are setting up a tent on a beautiful grass lawn right beside the ocean. I am sure we will be doing some dancing but have opted to do an "Ipod reception" instead of having a band or dj. We will be setting up bocce ball and some other lawn games for people to play as well. I thought about hiring a fire dancer or something fun like that for a bit of entertainment but the prices I got back were outrageous! Mostly we are going for simple and fun :-)
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also getting married and having our reception on the grass by the ocean (Olowalu).  We are having a DJ, cause I love to dance and I plan to get down at our wedding!  We are not having any lounge furniture (I wish!), nor are we having a tent.  So we are having an outdoors, under the starts wedding - I can't wait! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Lounge area by the water, with live jazz band for the cocktail hour(s).  In addition to lounges, we're having benches and tables to play "Mexican Train Dominoes," and there will be a Bocce game available too.  Passed drinks and pupus.

Dinner reception under a beautiful customized tent (can't wait to see it!!) with DJ and the same lounge area from the cocktail hour.

I'm so excited to see how it all comes together!

• misslolmisslol member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're having ours at the estate by the pool - first cocktail hour (or two) by the pool overlooking the ocean with acoustic gutarist, then tented reception on the lawn, and an DJ and dancing under the stars :D
    December Siggy Challenge
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Where we met - Mount Isa
    a small mining town in the Australian Outback. Neither of us are from there but we both moved there in the second last year of highschool. He was moved next to me in maths class to stop him talking. It didn't work.
  • edited December 2011
    where having it at an open air patio reception area next to the water. Live sushi bar and solist for cocktail hour and trio during dinner ending with a fire dance and sparklers..
  • edited December 2011
    ours is in a friend's backyard by the ocean, a simple grassy yard with a pool in the middle! We are having some live entertainment, hawaiian buffet, dancing to the music (and iPod later on), and FI absolutely loves 'awa, so his friend is going to mix some and share it with guests. I think our OOTers will try one bowl and be turned off... lol! But I am glad that FI will have something personal to him at our reception.

We are also having a photobooth = so excited! i love taking pictures :)
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A.a.A. - What is 'awa? I tried to Google it but the American Wrestling Association came up! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • 13b13b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_talk-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f1c86ecb-b624-4e62-9f5a-c943f90ec888Post:aace4d23-8728-46a6-b901-6c2e03f92719">Re: So, talk to me about your reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]A.a.A. - What is 'awa? I tried to Google it but the American Wrestling Association came up! 
    Posted by AKWinterBride[/QUOTE]

Awa or Kava is a root that is mixed in a bucket with water that basically taste like mud and makes your mouth numb. Sounds disgusting, but it is definitely something worth trying as it is authentic to the polynesian culture.
  • edited December 2011
    it's also known as kava!

It is the ground up root of the kalo plant, and you squeeze the powdered awa with water. It basically looks like dirty water, and tastes like it as well (very bitter). It has great medicinal qualities, makes you feel relaxed and numbs your tongue. I don't really care for it but a lot of people here like it! It is a cultural thing too, so I think that's why FI enjoys it so much.
  • embracejoyembracejoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We'll be celebrating with everyone either at our condo, or my mom's condo after the ceremony.  We're doing a laid back family style BBQ, iPod for music, wedding cake, dancing (despite the informal feel of the reception, we'll still be doing the first dance, father-daughter and mother-son dances), and probably hanging out by the pool :)
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards