CMGragain member


Last Active
  • Re: Can I have my best friends help plan my wedding if they are not invited...

    Eloping means that a couple gets married without telling anyone of their plans.  You are not eloping; you are having a private destination wedding.

    I don't understand how your friends can help you plan this.  There isn't much to a private wedding ceremony, but, of course, you will need to make sure that you are able to get legally married at your destination country.  Some countries are impossible; others are easy if you check the rules.
  • Re: Invitation/Wedding Shower Etiquette

    Maybe they should post an interrogation form prior so that you can be sure that a couple can pass your tests.
    What does it matter to you if a couple has a "secret ceremony" and then has a DW after? If that's their choice, let them be. Two weddings sounds like entirely too much to do, but someone else's business is just that. Seems like an excessive amount of work to question the integrity of the presence of paperwork behind an international wedding rather than to simply give advice on inviting coworkers.
    Finally, when I post on an etiquette forum in relation to invitations, I expect to receive comments on that topic. If I had questions about destination weddings, I'd have posted there. 
    I am planning to rob a bank.  What is the proper weapon I should use, and how should I word the note to the teller?  Don't comment on any possible consequences of robbing the bank.  Just give me the etiquette information I requested.
  • Re: Invitation/Wedding Shower Etiquette

    Notification Requirements ✈ Applies to all Legal Weddings in Ireland

    Couples must notify the Registry Office of their intent to marry and this applies to all ceremonies, be they civil, religious or spiritual. Both parties to the marriage need to be over the age of 18 to be legally married in Ireland. Foreign National couples must give at a minimum 3 months notice in writing of their intent to marry, whether they are having a civil, religious or spiritual ceremony. They are welcome to contact one of the Civil Registration Service Offices by phone to initiate the process as meeting in person 3 months before the wedding might not be feasible. It is highly advised that more time is given to this process.

    The Registrar will usually grant foreign nationals permission to give notice of their intention to marry by post but couples will need to have made contact with the priest / parish or the registered solemniser in the case of a civil or spiritualist ceremony and organised their wedding ceremony date in order to complete their notification of intent to marry.

    Official Documentation such as birth and divorce decrees need to bear an Apostille Stamp or equivalent and official translations if not published in English and are as follows;

    1 ✈ Valid Passport or national ID card that is accepted as a travel document.
    2 ✈ Birth Certificates for both parties of the marriage
    3 ✈ Original final divorce decree, decree of nullity accompanied by a court letter stating that no appeal has been lodged, civil partnership dissolutions or spouse’s death certificate accompanied by the previous marriage certificate if appropriate
    4 ✈ Information on whether it will be a civil, secular or religious ceremony
    5 ✈ The intended date and location of the marriage
    6 ✈ Details of the proposed solemniser of the marriage
    7 ✈ The names and dates of birth of the two proposed witnesses
    8 ✈ Appropriate Fee

    If, for some reason you are in a position to make the notification in person, then you can make your declaration of no impediment on the same day. If not, you will need to arrange to meet with the Registrar at least 5 days before the wedding in order to do so.The Registrar will issue an acknowlegement to both of you and the proposed solemniser of the marriage confirming the date of receipt of notification.If all the information required has been supplied and everything is in order, ie there is no impediment to the marriage, the Registrar will issue you with a Marriage Registration Form (MRF)

    The MRF is a document that is basically the civil authorization for the marriage to proceed. All couples must obtain the MRF in order to be legally married, regardless of the nature of their wedding ceremony. The MRF must be presented to the solemniser in advance of the wedding ceremony so that they too can check that the details are correct. The solemniser must ensure that this form is signed after the ceremony (signing of the register) by him/herself, the couple and their two witnesses

  • Re: Ceremony , vows, I do's, etc

    Sounds good.  Just remember that your wedding ceremony is not about expressing your love for each other.  It is about making promises to each other that you intend to follow throughout your marriage. 
  • Re: Invitation/Wedding Shower Etiquette

    Have you researched the legal requirements to get married in Ireland?  They are not easy ones, but it is possible.  Be sure you have your arrangements made before you send out any invitations.  Ireland has a THREE MONTH WAITING PERIOD!