California-Los Angeles
Options

XP: Favorite restaurants in LA area

Hello ladies,

I still have over a month until the honeymoon, but I wanted to start collecting ideas for restaurants now, and I'm home sick today, so I got nothing better to do :)

I'm XPing on the honeymoon board too.

FI and I are spending two weeks in LA and San Diego, with a couple stops in between like Laguna and Huntington beach.  Most of our time will be in LA though.

We love to eat, and since we'll need at least 28 meals, I'd love to hear about your favorite restaurants if you've ever visited/lived in that area.

I'm open to any suggestions at all, from fast food to fine dining.  We love anything with really good food, a beautiful scenic view, or a fun atmosphere.  

We've been to LA once for a short trip, and the only memorable places we ate at were Abbott's pizza (OMG best pizza ever) and Moonshadows in Malibu.  

Also, if you have a picnic spot you recommend, we love picnics too.

Thank you!

SaveSave

Re: XP: Favorite restaurants in LA area

• Options
    I could go on and on and on and on about food. I love food so much. SO MUCH.

Forget about Moonshadows, throw it out the window! Where you want to go is Tavera Tonys in Malibu. It's the most yummy amazing Greek food ever! Reservations recommended for weekends (when they have a Greek band or dancers).

Red-O is amazing for their tapas/margaritas. Rick Bayless is the chef and he works wonders with his corn & goat cheese tamales. Don't get entrees, seriously stick to the tapas.

Coyote Grill--Laguna Beach. Longostino Fajitas. So so so good.

Sage Room--Also in Malibu. Great Italian food. It's like you just walked into your grandmother's kitchen and she's making food full with love and awesomeness.

Mexicali--Studio City. California/Mexican fusion food. If you go on a Monday, you get 30% off. Seared ahi tuna burrito is a favorite.

Kono's--Breakfast food! Pacific Beach in SD. There's a deck around the back.

You already have great BBQ, so I won't bother you there.

This will get you started, but if I remember other must taste places I'll PM you. Oh, and if you want great hiking/lunch spots let me know. I have a list. But, if you're looking for something a little different, go to one of these! http://www.willrogerspolo.org/schedule
  • Options
    Wow, thanks!  I'm going to look into all of them!  I figure it doesn't hurt to have a good list, and we can see which ones fit into our schedule/location through out the trip.

Moonshadows wasn't the greatest food ever, but I just loved being on the water and watching the sunset.  

I doubt we'll do any serious hiking, but if you have any places you recommend to stroll around for a couple hours, I'm totally game for that.  

Polo club?  Interesting; that's something I wouldn't have thought to do.  I'll look into it!

We're doing some of the normal touristy things, but I also love insider tips so we can do some more out of the box, local kind of things.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    Umami burger - good local chain.  little pricey for a burger, but very good
    Mendocino Farms (sandwiches) in Marina del Rey (and Downtown LA)
    Bay Cities Deli on Lincoln in Santa Monica (it's east coast style sandwhiches in a specialty foods grocery store place...small crowded parking lot.  only tables are outside in front
    Bru's Wiffles (a waffle place on Wilshire)
    Capo on Ocean Ave in Santa Monica - small place, pricey but delish.  A little on the fancy side.  Would need a rez.  Massive wine list.
    Fritto Misto - very reasonably priced fresh pasta
    Tar & Roses - little pricey
    Huckleberry cafe - breakfast/brunch
    Gjelina - dinner
    Joe's

• Options
    RoMy215RoMy215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    This is a fun post!!! =)

All of my location suggestions have links. 

C&O's is a fun Italian restaurant in that serves huge portions, and has nightly sing-a-longs. But the big draw is the amazing all you can eat garlic knots. They have 2 locations not far from each other in Venice/Marina Del Rey. 
    Babalu is a Cuban inspired cafe in Santa Monica 
    Malibu Cafe is a total hidden gem in Malibu with amazing food
    Mohawk Bend hipster brewery with interesting/varied menu 

For fast food:
    Lemonade - chain cafeteria style with more interesting options than typical "cafeteria". 
    Veggie Grill- it's vegan.but even hubby who is not even vegetarian likes them

Never tried it, but I've heard great things about 800 Degrees which is a pizza place in Westwood. Oh and if you're in that area-you must go to Diddy Riese. It's a little place that sells cookies and ice cream. And no--it's not THE most amazing cookies or ice cream you've ever had..although it IS good...but it's $1.75 (used to be $1) for a build-your-own ice cream sandwich. 

Oh my gosh--I'm sorry--I keep thinking of ideas and this post is going to be a mile long!! 

We also love picnics...try Griffith Park or Greystone Mansion (athough technically you're not supposed to picnic there..)

Food trucks are still kind of big here. Off the top of my head, I know that Tuesday nights there are several at the California Heritage Museum in Santa Monica. Get there early and bring a picnic blanket, or find a table at The Victorian (adjacent) where they have 2 bars (one upstairs/one down) and live music. Any night, you can go to The Basement Tavern (the downstairs bar) where, in addition to a full bar, they offer light food and live bands. 

And if you'll be here in June, why not check out the Hollywood Bowl schedule? Take a picnic, enjoy a show under the stars...even if it's not a good show, it's always a fun time there. 

OK...I think I'm done. Let me know if you want more. =)

Have a great visit!!!! 

• Options
    In Response to Re: XP: Favorite restaurants in LA area:
    [QUOTE]This is a fun post!!! =) All of my location suggestions have links.  C&O's  is a fun Italian restaurant in that serves huge portions, and has nightly sing-a-longs. But the big draw is the amazing all you can eat garlic knots. They have 2 locations not far from each other in Venice/Marina Del Rey.  Babalu  is a Cuban inspired cafe in Santa Monica  Malibu Cafe  is a total hidden gem in Malibu with amazing food Mohawk Bend  hipster brewery with interesting/varied menu  For fast food: Lemonade  - chain cafeteria style with more interesting options than typical "cafeteria".  Veggie Grill - it's vegan.but even hubby who is not even vegetarian likes them Never tried it, but I've heard great things about  800 Degrees  which is a pizza place in Westwood. Oh and if you're in that area-you must go to  Diddy Riese . It's a little place that sells cookies and ice cream. And no--it's not THE most amazing cookies or ice cream you've ever had..although it IS good...but it's $1.75 (used to be $1) for a build-your-own ice cream sandwich.  Oh my gosh--I'm sorry--I keep thinking of ideas and this post is going to be a mile long!!  We also love picnics...try  Griffith Park  or  Greystone Mansion  (athough technically you're not supposed to picnic there..) Food trucks are still kind of big here. Off the top of my head, I know that Tuesday nights there are several at the  California Heritage Museum  in Santa Monica. Get there early and bring a picnic blanket, or find a table at  The Victorian  (adjacent) where they have 2 bars (one upstairs/one down) and live music. Any night, you can go to  The Basement Tavern  (the downstairs bar) where, in addition to a full bar, they offer light food and live bands.  And if you'll be here in June, why not check out the  Hollywood Bowl  schedule? Take a picnic, enjoy a show under the stars...even if it's not a good show, it's always a fun time there.  OK...I think I'm done. Let me know if you want more. =) Have a great visit!!!! 
    Posted by RoMy215[/QUOTE]

This is just a response to the 800 degrees thing--some people absolutley love it but personally I think it's kind of overpriced for what it is. AND there are always long lines (usually UCLA students & employees). If you wanted to visit UCLA, definitely go to Diddy Reese (cash only)!
  • Options
    Awesome!  Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!  I can't wait to go!

SaveSave
  • Options
    RoMy215RoMy215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: Favorite restaurants in LA area : This is just a response to the 800 degrees thing--some people absolutley love it but personally I think it's kind of overpriced for what it is. AND there are always long lines (usually UCLA students & employees). If you wanted to visit UCLA, definitely go to Diddy Reese (cash only)!
    Posted by Wheels987[/QUOTE]

Good to know--thanks!! I love finding new places so I'm making note of some of the ones above. Laughing
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I love the idea of the Hollywood Bowl Why not try some historic eateries; Pink's Hotdogs on La Brea Pacific Dining Car on 6th Street Phillipes on Alameda, near Dodger Stadium Original Pantry on Figueroa, near Staples Center All the above are in L.A. and you'll need a car, but they are true old L.A. I grew up in L.A., there are plenty more. It just depends what you re into.
    Posted by audreyecu61[/QUOTE]

Those are good recs!  I like places that have history and character--a sentimental feel for the area.

Thank you!

We're really into anything.  What about restaurants with music or a slightly more club like atmosphere?  Not an actual club where I can't even talk to my fiance, but just something with a fun atmosphere and fun music playing?

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards