Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

-

2»

Re: -

• Options
    I agree with others on cutting the honeymoon until you can afford it. Also you have mentioned being in school, do they have a photography dept? You may be able to shave a lot off on the photographer if you use a student and a lot of times they are creative because they are trying to prove themselves.
  • Options
    The cost is slimmed down as much as possible-1100 left for honeymoon, 600 for photographers, 400 for DJ, and the rest for the ceremony musician and misc. Really cant cut out or slim down anything. Everything else is paid for.

Color me completely confused because everything in this paragraph is optional - everything.  The honeymoon (why would even cnsider NOT cutting this one?), the DJ, the photographer, ceremony musicians (!) . . . all completely optional.  Use an ipod or a laptop computer for music.  Go without a pro photographer and ask your friends to send you all the pics they can.  Or, keep any one of those things and cut back on the meal you were going to serve.  This is completely doable - keep a good attitude and remember that after the wedding, you still need to make rent & eat!  Good luck; I hope something else comes your way soon.
  • Options
    Playing devil's advocate - if the money that OP owes for the honeymoon, photographer, DJ, etc. are final balances, she may have already put non-refundable deposits down. While she may save $400 by canceling the DJ, et al, she may be out alot more if she has to walk away from signed contracts.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If your responding to this to tell me to just 'put off' the wedding, please dont even respond. The wedding is four months away, and I'm not willing to loose 8k. Thank you!

Cutting the honeymoon is deffintally an option were considering, my family memeber do not want us to have to cut back on anything and are trying to help us out. Why would you want to pay thousands of dollers for a reception and have someone with a Ipod doing your music. I may be low on funds right now but by no means am I going to throw everything aside and have a trashy wedding. I have been looking around seeing if I can find a student photographer, or perhaps a friend that would not mind taking picture through out. As far as a DJ I deffintally do want one, and am doing the same as with the photographer, lookig around for one just starting out, or a friend perhaps. As far as flower, we are keeping it minimal, at $100 right now. Ceremony muscion may be cut too ( I personally dont care, its my fiance that is set ont it, lol!). Thank you for those who gave me advice and ideas :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_horribly-rude-ask-immediate-family-members-paying-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:075405a5-1504-4731-8daa-7506279d5d36Post:551f0306-0b1c-469a-bd81-3d150cd7a2cd">Re: Is it horribly rude to ask immediate family members for help with paying for the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your responding to this to tell me to just 'put off' the wedding, please dont even respond. The wedding is four months away, and I'm not willing to loose 8k. 
    Posted by Katshia[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually, putting off the wedding is a really good idea.  Most vendors will allow you to keep your deposit if you move the date and rebook them for a later date.  So you wouldn't lose your 8K, and you would have time to get a job and save up the money you need.  </div>
  • Options
    90% of my vendor would not change the date or give me money back. 

Not moving my wedding back for the 100th time, thank you for no advice :)
  • Options
    Have you thought about moving your wedding date back?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_horribly-rude-ask-immediate-family-members-paying-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:075405a5-1504-4731-8daa-7506279d5d36Post:1262be0f-d68c-407c-9f2a-98e22d0bb710">Re: Is it horribly rude to ask immediate family members for help with paying for the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you thought about moving your wedding date back?
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

haha
  • Options
    There's nothing "trashy" about having an iPod reception instead of a DJ.  The only "trashy" thing being proposed here is you asking people for money. 

Also, no one should be judging you for getting terminated from your last job because they shouldn't know until they ask.  You don't put that on your resume.  Your resume contains a list of your education and work experience, what you did, and the dates you worked.  When they see the end date of your last job, they may ask why you left, and you can simply say "I was let go."  If you launch into your "I was fired but IT WASN'T MY FAULT!11!!!!" tirade, they will probably roll their eyes and move on to the next candidate, so you may want to adjust how you are telling your story.  I'm not talking about lying.  I'm talking about the way you word it.  From what you've told us, I can picture you on Judge Judy yelling at your previous employer and throwing a tantrum like a little girl. 
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_horribly-rude-ask-immediate-family-members-paying-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:075405a5-1504-4731-8daa-7506279d5d36Post:1085b606-369b-40f0-a375-0ada587e3985">Is it horribly rude to ask immediate family members for help with paying for the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE] ~~Even though it was not my fault, I still have to just mark 'fired' or 'let go against my will' on all job applications with out the option to explain and I dont belive many employers will even give my application or resume even a look over after seeing that :/
    Posted by Katshia[/QUOTE]

Okay. Now that I've gone back and read the OP, this part just doesn't add up to me. If you were terminated over something that was not your fault, then you should have challenged the termination. I've terminated a good number of people and they all did something to deserve it. There are too many legal consequences of being too quick to terminate employees without cause for many companies to take that risk, so I just don't buy it. 

Also, prospective employers can not inquire as to whether or not you were fired. All they can ask is whether or not you are rehire eligible. This in and of itself can be quite telling, but to be honest, most employers don't even ask the question anymore because it opens them up to liability.

Your best bet is to follow Heels' advice and share as little information as possible about the termination. She is right. As soon as I hear a candidate start talking about how they were fired but it wasn't their fault, I immediately turn off because I know they are being less than truthful with me.
  • Options
    The only thing that is devoid of class is you asking for money.  There is nothing wrong with cutting back on your wedding or using an iPod for music.  Plenty of people do it and have lovely weddings and GASP, they pay for it themselves.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_horribly-rude-ask-immediate-family-members-paying-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:075405a5-1504-4731-8daa-7506279d5d36Post:438ce74e-e877-4e50-92ad-626adf3c401f">Re: Is it horribly rude to ask immediate family members for help with paying for the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only thing that is devoid of class is you asking for money.  There is nothing wrong with cutting back on your wedding or using an iPod for music.  Plenty of people do it and have lovely weddings and GASP, they pay for it themselves.
    Posted by duckie1905[/QUOTE]

And there are people who have some form of intelligence too GASP!
    Sadly you wouldn't know :(
  • Options
    I can picture you on Divorce Court crying like a little girl about him leaving you :)
  • Options
    Katisha, and here you were complaining on Snarky Brides about people saying you're too young to get married.

You are showing us why they think that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Whoa, this definitely took an odd turn. I'm starting to think she was fired through fault of her own...
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Be honest.  The real reason you got fired is that you tried to show your boss your hoo-ha, isn't it?
  • Options
    What's a hoo ha? Is that like a fancy calculator or something?
  • Options
    I can't believe you just implied that weddings with an iPod are trashy.

You just got incredibly defensive. Apparently we touched a nerve with the whole firing thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards