Snarky Brides
Options

Black Friday Bridesmaid dress shopping

I only have two in my wedding party, my sister as MOH and my FSIL as a bridesmaid.  From the beginning I knew my sister was picky so all I asked was for her to pick out a dress that was either pink or silver/gray that I could also order for FSIL.  She refuses to wear pink so pick the silver/gray no big deal.   For over eight months it's been an ordeal to get my sister to even think about a dress.  She's been rude, condensing, never has time, etc. any time I've asked to make an appointment.  I've kept my cool the entire time.  Just saying okay, let me know when you want to do it. It wasn't until this past month that I said we need to do it soon since we need time to order the dress and it's four months away. 

So, my sister decided that Black Friday would be the best day to go dress shopping.  She didn't tell me when she'd be in town to make appointments so we didn't have any.  I knew Nordstroms had some dresses and other shop at the mall did too.  After going to both of those stores and my sister purposefully wasting time so she didn't have to go anywhere else, I snapped.  As of right now, I don't see a video on YouTube of us yelling at each other walking through the mall but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one.  I am sure it would be entertaining.

My mom, of course, took her side.  She even said how dare the fiance and I pick our wedding colors without getting my sister's approval on what she'd like to wear.  My sister even threatened to not be in the wedding or go to the wedding.  I said it was her choice but I was tired of everything being dictated by her.  My mom then begged her to go to a bridal shop (what I wanted from the beginning) but they, of course, were closed.  She then said we'd go the next day as soon as the store opens.  I said I'd go whenever she'd like to.

The next day I get to my parents house and she's on her laptop so my mom, aunt and I are waiting for her to finish.  She comes over about an hour later asking us if we are ready that she's been waiting for us.  My mom actually said we were waiting on her.  Wow, that was a surprise. We got to the bridal store and a young lady helped us.  I am sorry I am snarky and taking much pleasure in this but she completely ignored my sister and asked me what I wanted.  It was WONDERFUL!!! 

My sister couldn't believe that the dresses were only available in sample sizes (and they had nice ranges).  I was kinda snarky and said they'll have to pin you up and stuff you into the dresses like they did me when I went dress shopping (she was horribly rude then too, pulled my bra out so far that my boob popped out. Yeah, what I've been dealing with).  She didn't believe me and found the sales lady who explained the same thing.  She picked some out.  I picked one out that I liked then she went to try them out.  Of course she hated the one I liked.  Then hated any of the ones anyone else liked.  Until she was almost about to give up and the saleslady brought another that she tried on.  She asked me if I liked it and I said I wasn't going to say anything until she said if she liked it.  She said she did, so I said SOLD!  We FINALLY got a dress.  Thank you Lord.

Since my mom isn't internet savvy, and my sister doesn't visit the knot, I had to share this.  Sorry if I sound spoiled bratish but I am so happy this is DONE. 

Re: Black Friday Bridesmaid dress shopping

• Options
    You don't sound spoiled. Wedding times can be really hard on the family.

I'm not sure why your sister has been so picky, but you should talk to her. She might be feeling jealous or left out that so many things have been focused on your marriage. Try to set aside some time to spend with her that has nothing to do with the wedding. You both might find it relaxing!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Oh, believe me, I mentioned the jealous part in our walk through the mall.  Not that I'm proud of it, she just pushed too far by that point.

My entire life my sister has been the center of attention in our family.  Not a big deal for me since I don't like the attention.  Since we got engaged, I have been very sensitive to her feelings (she's older and not dating anyone so not getting married any time soon).  Trying to talk to her these months has always resulted in a fight with me becoming upset when she gets snotty/rude on a simple conversation. We are the type of family that yells one minute then loves each other the next.  I doubt if she'd even sit down with me to discuss.  At least the dress is ordered which is all I ever asked of her.
  • Options
    Sisters. I feel you. Hugs!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards