Second Weddings
Options

Brother In-Law not attending wedding for moral reasons

My fiance and I were each married before. Mine was a catholic wedding. But, my ex-husband was not catholic, and not baptized and his family refused to set foot inside a Catholic church, so I got special dispensation from the Bishop to have my wedding in a chapel at the reception venue. Fast forward a couple of years, and I got divorced. My ex-husband was abusive, and controlling. Before we were married he had promised to go to church with me as a family and that we would raise future children in that faith. Once we were married, he was very angry, VERY angry about going to church with me. So, when I told him I would just go by myself so he wouldn't have to, he would then get very angry that I was leaving our marital bed to go to church with my family. I was, in his eyes, choosing my family and my faith over him. It got so bad that I stopped going. 

I am in the middle of the annulment process, but in my diocese, the process takes 18 months. And I can't even set a date in the church until/if the annulment gets finalized. I've been told that if my annulment doesn't get approved, then no one's should. It seems that clear cut to my deacon and my advisor. So, it would be about 2 years before I could get married to my fiance. I am 32 and he is 37 and to wait that long before we can even get married and try to start a family risks our ability to have children. Every woman on both sides of my family had early hysterectomies in their mid 30's, and my fiance has to have a vasectomy reversal for us to have children, and the closer he gets to 40, the lower the chances. So, we decided to go ahead and get married in a non-denomination service and after my annulment got approved, we would try to get a convalidation (kind of like a blessing/remarriage) in the Catholic church. My fiance has 3 children, and we thought it set a better example to get married and start our life together, rather than just live together for the next 2 years or have children not married.

We are two weeks away from the wedding date, and my brother in law just told me that he will not be coming to the wedding because he doesn't agree with it because it's a mortal sin, and in his eyes, I am still married to my ex. I understand that it's his choice, but I am heartbroken, sad, betrayed, angry, etc. When he and my sister got married, they were 4 months pregnant and I stood by them and supported them. Going by mortal sin standards, what I am doing is pretty low on the totem pole, plus I am taking steps to work it out. And, if he wants to throw moral and religious guidelines at me, fornication prior to marriage is also considered a mortal sin, yet I stood by them. I have always been there for them and had their backs with other issues with my family. And I just don't know how to handle this. I am feeling so many different things. Part of me wants to distance myself from them, if they find what I am doing that morally reprehensible. The other part of me... I don't know. I'm just upset. My sister is coming to the wedding, and my 3 year old nephew is still the ring bearer, but I feel so betrayed, so...he's made me feel like I'm a dirty person, an "adultress" by marrying the man I love. I don't know how to compartmentalize it all. 

Re: Brother In-Law not attending wedding for moral reasons

• Options
    As a divorced woman who had a VERY similar story to yours (abusive husband who was Catholic, we married in the church, but refused to go to church with me and same complaints about me going) and the absolute horror of the annulment process where they found me at "fault" bc I said in pre-canna in front our priest (who agreed with me) the only reason I would leave my spouse is if they hit me or our future children. 
    I say (how do I say this politely) FORGET your brother! He doesn't want to be there so be it! More on, be happy and marry the man you love. Life is too short to be unhappy to try to please people who act holier-than-thou.
    I wouldn't bank on getting the annulment and the convalidation. Sorry, but that's been my experience. Just know that God loves you and wants you to be happy. I never had a crisis of faith, but I have had a crisis of Dogma. These issues are IMHO man made laws, not God's law. Best wishes! If people don't want to be there to celebrate, than it's their loss! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Thank you! How do you think I should handle seeing them at family events, etc. I love my nephews and want to still be a part of their life, but I feel hurt and betrayed and angry still. That part of me wants to distance myself from them. 
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    If you want to be part of your nephews' lives, I would suck it up and let it go. You have every right to be hurt and feel betrayed, but distancing yourself will not allow you to spend time with the rest of the family. I would be polite and respectful, treat your brother like you would a stranger on the street, with common curtsey and respect. But that's it. Don't chat it up, don't ask about his life, say hi and move on to the next family member. Don't allow him to destroy your relationships with everyone else, including his wife if she isn't being all judge pants as well. He might come around and see the error of his self-righteous ways. If he did, I would forgive him and move forward bc he is family. Fortunately my family didn't judge me at all and I was scared to death of how my father would react as he is VERY Catholic. He was very supportive and never questioned my decision not to marry in the church the second time. This is just what I would do. Good luck :) 

• Options
    Thank you! 
  • Options
    zae430 said:
    Thank you! 
    You're welcome :)

• Options
    You also can be a part of your nephews lives and not the parents as long as you are polite. I reallllllllly think my sister is a see you next Tuesday. I can't stand to be around her for very long and neither can my FI, so I offer to babysit and I offer to bring my kid out there to play with her cousins and I stay with the kids while my sister does her thing. We're not Catholic, but my family sure did get judgey and MEAN when I got divorced :( My sister would just yell at me when she saw me about how what I was doing was wrong and how could do that to my family (ie: her). its hard to move past those things, but the kids don't know at all and we take turns taking them so we don't lose touch that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards