Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Thank you notes for Xmas gifts

Someone mentioned in another thread writing TY notes for Christmas gifts.  I have always done TY notes for an event where I am the one receiving but not giving gifts (i.e. b-day, graduation) but have never done them for Christmas, because 95% of the time I was *exchanging* gifts with the gift giver.  I've also never received a TY note for an Christmas gift I have given.  Have I been rude all this time?  Just curious what people do.

Re: NWR: Thank you notes for Xmas gifts

• Options
    Under most circumstances I do not send a thank you for a Christmas gift - parents, siblings, secret santa gift exchanges. I would send one for  gift received in the mail. I just sent one today for a gift card from DH's good friend - we gave them a gift and didn't expect a gift in return. I wanted them to know we received it and appreciated. Otherwise, if exchanging gifts in person with friends I do not send a thank you note.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    In my family, we have never sent TY's for Xmas or birthdays, HOWEVER we always say thank you at the event. This is just how I was raised. I was raised however that TY notes for graduation, showers and weddings are a MUST.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yup, most of our gifts are exchanged in person, so I don't write thank you notes.

My Dad mailed his this year, but I thanked him on the phone, and don't see a need to thank in a note.

In the past, if a grandparent or aunt or someone mailed a X-mas gift, I'd definitely write a thank-you note, but no gifts in the mail this year (getting too old)   :)

SaveSave
  • Options
    I normally say thank you in person, and usually leave it at that.  However, when a gift is mailed to me I usually mail a thank you note.  I also am mailing one today to FI's cousin who we saw on Christmas Eve but she left before we opened presents and I wanted to tell her how much I loved the gift she got me. 

I figured it never hurts to send a note :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    To thread jack just a little--
    This year graduation, engagement, and Christmas all fell within a two weeks period (so it's been an amazing two weeks!) 

Is it okay to send just one thank you for all the presents, or should I send three thank you notes for three separate gifts/occasions?
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I never send thank you notes for Christmas or birthday gifts. If I don't receive the gift in person then I call and thank the person. I think a phone call is much better than a note myself.
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    I have never sent or received a thank you note for Christmas gifts.  ETA I am with jdluvr06 about a phone call being better than a note.
  • Options
    That's funny, I was just thinking about the same thing today.  I received gifts on Christmas Eve from family friends that we usually receive gifts from, but this year, they made it a point to bring gifts for my fiance.  We usually thank each other in person, but I'm going to send a note from the both of us, thanking them for the thoughtful gifts.  My fiance was thrilled with what they got for him, and very thankful to have been included.  So usually we don't, but this year, we definitely will.  

I've always written thank you notes for gifts for occasions other than Christmas, except for when I get holiday gifts from students.  I always make it a point to give them a thank you note--I think it models good etiquette for them and shows them that their sentiments are appreciated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I typically give a thank you note for gifts received if I didn't reciprocate with a gift. I am a teacher, so all of my students' families will get notes; the teachers I exchanged gifts with got a thank you in person.

One of the mothers (who is also a co-worker, but I thanked her child for the teacher gift) said I made her feel badly because she didn't have any done yet. She almost didn't accept the note! I simply told her I had an entire day off after Christmas-no obligations that day-and, as I will be writing MANY thank you noted in the coming months, I was eager to practice my penmanship, as well as test-drive some pens to see which ink dried quickly.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I send thank you notes for all gifts for Christmas, except those given to me by my parents and brother. Same for birthdays.
  • Options
    I wrote thank you notes to my grandparents, aunt/uncle, my future in laws (which includes my fiancé's brother and his fiancée). I didn't send my sister or parents. I might have my fiancé write one to my parents. I got the gifts in person and thanked them then but I think it's just good practice. I feel kinda bad that I'm just getting them out because it's been a little over 2 weeks.
  • Options
    I write thank you notes for every gift I receive, no matter what occasion.  You really can't go wrong with writing a thank you.  When FI and I just started dating, it seriously impressed his mother.  That's always a bonus ;)

This year, my birthday, engagement, and Christmas all fell in the same month.  I combined a few thank you's to include the multiple gifts I received.  It was a busy month!
  • Options
    grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    Someone mentioned in another thread writing TY notes for Christmas gifts.  I have always done TY notes for an event where I am the one receiving but not giving gifts (i.e. b-day, graduation) but have never done them for Christmas, because 95% of the time I was *exchanging* gifts with the gift giver.  I've also never received a TY note for an Christmas gift I have given.  Have I been rude all this time?  Just curious what people do.

Thank you notes are not customary for Christmas gifts. It's probably because it's more of a gift exchange than an event celebrating a specific person. The only gifts I expect thank you notes for are wedding and shower gifts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards