Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Resort Photographer or Bring Your Own?

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on using the resort photographer or bringing your own, and the associated costs.

I'm in the early stages of planning and I know if I want to bring my own photographer from Canada I need to book it now before their dates fill up!

Thanks!

Re: Resort Photographer or Bring Your Own?

• Options
    The resort we want charges a fee for bringing an outside photographer so we're going with the resort one. I looked through their photos and they're good so I'm happy. I'm also not looking for anything super special though (no video, one photog, just a couple hours of pics). Bringing your own will probably be a lot more expensive. Aren't you expected to cover their transportation costs as well for a destination wedding? Maybe I just assumed that...not sure.
  • Options
    mrscinemamrscinema member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    We are planning a destination wedding for my sister who is in the military. After a LOT of research, we decided to bring our own. Our decision was based on what she offered verses what we paid for. We only had to pay for her travel fees and a small amount extra for random expenses. We got 8 hours of coverage, editing, an online portfolio for friends who aren't coming, a CD with full printing rights, and she even offered to do a more relaxed day after shoot.
    The resort photographer didn't have the same level of talent and you were so limited by the amount of time and the amount of shots that you got. Having full rights to her photos was a huge deal to my sis. And having a portfolio that all of her friends who were stationed everywhere else could still see the wedding was a big bonus to her. 
    Honestly, she was going to have the resort planner just book someone there, but after hearing all the horror stories about resort photographers, we decided to bring our own.
  • Options
    TerriHuggTerriHugg member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    If it's at all possible, I would recommend bringing your own. While I loved my wedding, my resort really dropped the bomb on the photographer. Our photographer was more like a good vacation photographer and not a wedding photographer. If you are worried about price, a lot of photographers will work for you just by paying the expense of the trip. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    I'd look at the work of the resort photographer.  See what you'd get and compare that to what you want.  I knew when I worked with them at my Brother's wedding that I wanted my photographer to do mine, so we flew them down with us.  We got more photos and a second day of photos as well with a "TTD" shoot (I didn't trash the dress).  They also worked with us on the album after.  Be prepared to pay for it though.  For me, it was worth every penny

ETA - Clarity

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards