Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: Celebrities and PPDs

• Options
  • Options
    Oh lol. 

Fiance is a Pats fan, and I'm a Giants fan. It's been our biggest struggle thus far. Politics, kids, religion, money? Ain't no thang. Football allegiances? Can't even discuss.
  • Options
    It's a money thing. They can make more $$ off their wedding the more they do with it. 
  • Options
    Howard Stern and his trophywife had THREE weddings.  They got married "privately".  Then they had a ceremony and reception for his family & her family and friends.  Then they had a THIRD ceremony and reception for his friends and all their celebrity friends. 
    THREE CEREMONIES, FFS.  Can you get anymore PPD pukefest than that???
  • Options
    Thisgeneration of teenagers will come along thinking PPDs are acceptable, simply because on Teen Mom 2 (I live with 2 teenaged sisters who watch lol) one of the girls was dating a guy who was in the Navy and, surprise surprise, they went to the courthouse so she could live on base with him.. and on the show right now are planning their "real wedding." Not that a PPD is the biggest problem with that show haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Chrissy Teigen and John Legend did it last fall. Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifah did it earlier last year. Monica and Shannon Brown did it a couple years ago. 
    I think it's AWish but at least they were upfront about it. 
    A former uni friend got married last month at the city hall in NYC then had her guest fly to Dominican Republic for the "real" wedding the following week. I was like WTF. 
  • Options
    I know a girl who is getting married in April in her hometown... and then again in October in Mexico. Ummmmm.. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I once read a yahoo article about a couple who got married legally complete with wedding ceremony reception whole 9 yards locally but decided for their honeymoon they'd travel around the world and different parts of the US and "get married" in the different wedding traditions of each culture, mind you I read this before learning about ppds but I honestly have a mixed view on this help me out ladies. On the one hand I find it cool from a learning and anthropological point of view but it's still technically rude and if they want to see how different weddings are done why not make arrangement to WITNESS other peoples weddings so they can blog about it...
  • Options
    Amyzen83 said:

I once read a yahoo article about a couple who got married legally complete with wedding ceremony reception whole 9 yards locally but decided for their honeymoon they'd travel around the world and different parts of the US and "get married" in the different wedding traditions of each culture, mind you I read this before learning about ppds but I honestly have a mixed view on this help me out ladies. On the one hand I find it cool from a learning and anthropological point of view but it's still technically rude and if they want to see how different weddings are done why not make arrangement to WITNESS other peoples weddings so they can blog about it...

I saw that, and thought it was neat for the anthropology aspect. It's not like they asked their family to travel with them and celebrate 50 times, so if that floats their boat and brings them closer as a couple all power to them.

• Options
    Yea that was kinda my take as well but I wasn't sure
  • Options
    jalyndanijalyndani member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    Amyzen83 said:
    You mean these people?   http://www.viralnova.com/married-around-the-world/

I see two sides of it too. I guess if they've got the money to travel the world and "get married" in 60 different countries to learn about other cultures, that's great. But if you're already married in your own culture, are you making a mockery of the others and the way they celebrate the union by the time you reach your 20th, 30th, 40th etc. "wedding" ? And this statement at the end of the blog kinda rubbed me wrong. I can't quite explain it. 
    "Joining Alex and Lisa in their romantic quest to find the perfect wedding location have been Zulu chiefs, pastors, vicars, shamans, rabbis and even a Voodoo priestess at one point. Not to mention an army of wedding photographers and wedding professionals who have all donated their time and skills to this voyage of discovery."

Edited: ok, why can't I make a quote box around that...? Guess I'm not as good at forum coding as I thought. Oh well, I give up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I kind of find that whole thing disrespectful. Good for them for traveling, that part sounds awesome. But what religion are they? As a Catholic, I just can't imagine buddying up to random Rabbis and Chiefs and asking them to perform a wedding for me so I could "experience" it. It just seems tasteless. 
  • Options
    Celebrities are self-absorbed by nature. It's not really surprising they have PPDs. At least they do not lie.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

I kind of find that whole thing disrespectful. Good for them for traveling, that part sounds awesome. But what religion are they? As a Catholic, I just can't imagine buddying up to random Rabbis and Chiefs and asking them to perform a wedding for me so I could "experience" it. It just seems tasteless. 

Yea see there's that argument and I agree that although as romantic as their adventure sounds I can't help but wonder if any of these people from these cultures felt offended when these are traditions and beliefs they genuinely follow
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards