Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Which country for the Registry?

My fiance and I live in Italy but we are hoping to move back to the US in the next couple of years. However, our wedding will most likely be in Italy with a reception following in the States for those who are unable to come to the ceremony.  WHERE should I register?  I could register in Italy and make sure items are available online for international gifts, but don't want to have to move all of the new dishes and the electronics will be a disaster to move.  If I register in the US I won't be able to use anything until we are able to move there.  Being from the South it isn't so proper to ask for money or gift cards (that tend to expire within a certain time anyway).  Any tips?  
Would it be appropriate to wait to do a registry for when we have our State-side reception even if it is two years away (a year after the wedding)?  I don't want to draw things out too long.

Thank you in advance for your insight!!

Re: Which country for the Registry?

• Options
    loro929loro929 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    Hi @hawkesm
    I am in a similar situation to you. Me and FI live in Spain, getting married stateside next year, then returning to Spain post-wedding while we plan an official move to US sometime in the next 2 years. 
    Although we have not registered *yet*, we have been discussing a potential possibility which includes Creating a small registry for things that can be directly shipped to wherever you are and can be "easily" transported (i.e. sheets, towels, new luggage could be smart, small kitchenware) and that are not too heavy or are any sort of electrodomestic (different plugs, different voltage + shipping = always cheaper to buy locally). I haven't done much research but I know that Amazon has a global registry, for instance, that could probably ship directly to where you need them too (becareful for any customs fees).
    Well, that is what I have come up with so far. I don't know if it is the best idea but also remember that your family and friends know your bi-continental living situation and that when it comes time to select a present will most likely take that also into consideration.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hawkesm said:
    My fiance and I live in Italy but we are hoping to move back to the US in the next couple of years. However, our wedding will most likely be in Italy with a reception following in the States for those who are unable to come to the ceremony.  WHERE should I register?  I could register in Italy and make sure items are available online for international gifts, but don't want to have to move all of the new dishes and the electronics will be a disaster to move.  If I register in the US I won't be able to use anything until we are able to move there.  Being from the South it isn't so proper to ask for money or gift cards (that tend to expire within a certain time anyway).  Any tips?  
    Would it be appropriate to wait to do a registry for when we have our State-side reception even if it is two years away (a year after the wedding)?  I don't want to draw things out too long.

I would not do this.  If I'm getting someone a wedding gift I will get it for them at the time of their wedding.  I would not wait an entire year to get someone a gift.  So then a registry created a year after the wedding would come off as really gift grabby to me and like I was somehow expected to get you another gift.  Do what PP suggested and register for things that you can use in both countries and will be relatively easy to move.  I'm guessing a lot of your American friends will take you logistical situation into consideration and give you money.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    hawkesm said:

I would not do this.  If I'm getting someone a wedding gift I will get it for them at the time of their wedding.  I would not wait an entire year to get someone a gift.  So then a registry created a year after the wedding would come off as really gift grabby to me and like I was somehow expected to get you another gift.  Do what PP suggested and register for things that you can use in both countries and will be relatively easy to move.  I'm guessing a lot of your American friends will take you logistical situation into consideration and give you money.  
    One would hope, but some southern circles might not...  Cash is sort of a no-no in some circles down here.  I know a lot of people who think it's tacky to give cash, and they wouldn't be caught dead doing it.

OP, I would do a registry on Amazon, since they have an international presence.  

Another thought - what about a storage unit?  Or a family member/parent who would be willing to store stuff for you until you move back?  My parents are storing a couple of larger gifts we received (ahem: a small piano) until we buy a house next year.

Anecdote: I have a friend who got married last year right before moving to Germany.  Southern family and all that.  She got a full thing of china, a bunch of electronics they couldn't use, etc.  The German move made no difference whatsoever. H and I gave luggage, which they did take with them. She ended up getting a storage unit, because they plan to move back in a couple years.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards