Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

XP Alcohol Cut-off

2»

Re: XP Alcohol Cut-off

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I understand where you are coming from, but I agree that besides telling your guests how to act, or that you don't trust them with how to act, logistically it likely won't work.

A) If the bar closes, people assume that means the party is winding down and may leave quickly.
    B) People often go grab another drink (or two, or three...) when they hear the bar is closing.
    C) People can still be very drunk early in the evening and still unsafe to drive. 

I do think offering tea/coffee, water and soda later in the evening is still a great idea. We had a late night buffet where coffee and tea were brought out again. 

You can also ask your venue, but the staff should also be willing and ready to call cabs for guests if they need one. Also ask about the venue's parking policy- do they allow guests to leave their cars parked over night? Our venue did (and parking was free), so our MC made an announcement of the same and let guests know the staff could call a taxi for them. Most of our guests carpooled or friends grouped together to share a taxi. Everyone was quite responsible. 

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    Popular answer or not, I always say it is YOUR wedding and if you want to ensure your guests safely by switching to non-alcoholic beverages at some point that is your prerogative.  I personally wouldn't be offended. 
    You're right, that's not a popular answer.  Any time you have to preface something with "it is YOUR wedding" then what you're proposing to do is probably rude and a bad idea.
    I disagree.  At the end of the day, it's her wedding, not anyone else's.  If she prefers to stop serving alcohol at some point in the reception (financial reasons, over drinking, etc) it's her decision.  Again, my two cents.
    It doesn't matter whose wedding it is.  It being your wedding does not entitle you to do something rude.  You choose to host something, you need to actually act like a host, which means not excusing rude actions by saying "it's MY wedding/it's MY day". 

• Options
    mbross3 said:
    Viczaesar said:
    Popular answer or not, I always say it is YOUR wedding and if you want to ensure your guests safely by switching to non-alcoholic beverages at some point that is your prerogative.  I personally wouldn't be offended. 
    You're right, that's not a popular answer.  Any time you have to preface something with "it is YOUR wedding" then what you're proposing to do is probably rude and a bad idea.
    I disagree.  At the end of the day, it's her wedding, not anyone else's.  If she prefers to stop serving alcohol at some point in the reception (financial reasons, over drinking, etc) it's her decision.  Again, my two cents.
    Curious--I could be wrong, since I'm not married, but I always thought weddings were for 2 people (plus any guests of course). 
    My thoughts exactly. People seem to get offended at the phrase "it's your wedding" but, I'm sorry, it is isn't it? To me, personally, entitlement is the guest who goes to the wedding and complains when the alcohol has run out, or when alcohol service is hauled. What ever happened to being grateful for a glass of punch, a free drink, or cake at a wedding instead of complaining about this or that?
    I digress.... LOL.
  • Options
    mbross3 said:
    Viczaesar said:
    Curious--I could be wrong, since I'm not married, but I always thought weddings were for 2 people (plus any guests of course). 
    My thoughts exactly. People seem to get offended at the phrase "it's your wedding" but, I'm sorry, it is isn't it? To me, personally, entitlement is the guest who goes to the wedding and complains when the alcohol has run out, or when alcohol service is hauled. What ever happened to being grateful for a glass of punch, a free drink, or cake at a wedding instead of complaining about this or that?
    I digress.... LOL.
    Here's the deal though. If you want it to be all about you, don't invite anyone. Why invite people to witness your wedding and then not take care of them.

The reception actually is NOT for you (I know TV and the wedding industry make it seem otherwise). The reception is designed to be a thank you to your guests for attending the ceremony. You offer them refreshment as a way of showing your gratitude. You seem pretty ungrateful for them spending their time and money when you tell them, "Deal with what I give you because it's all about MEEEEE!!!"

Whatever happened to being a good host? People will remember the way you treated them long after they remember your dress, decorations, etc.
  • Options
    mbross3 said:
    Viczaesar said:
    I digress.... LOL.
    I'm offended at the phrase "it's your wedding" because it's almost always used to justify horrible, rude behavior.

The guests should not complain about what they're served, but the host has an even greater responsibility to treat their guests well and appropriately.

• Options
    SP29 said:
    I understand where you are coming from, but I agree that besides telling your guests how to act, or that you don't trust them with how to act, logistically it likely won't work.

A) If the bar closes, people assume that means the party is winding down and may leave quickly.
    B) People often go grab another drink (or two, or three...) when they hear the bar is closing.
    C) People can still be very drunk early in the evening and still unsafe to drive. 

I do think offering tea/coffee, water and soda later in the evening is still a great idea. We had a late night buffet where coffee and tea were brought out again. 

You can also ask your venue, but the staff should also be willing and ready to call cabs for guests if they need one. Also ask about the venue's parking policy- do they allow guests to leave their cars parked over night? Our venue did (and parking was free), so our MC made an announcement of the same and let guests know the staff could call a taxi for them. Most of our guests carpooled or friends grouped together to share a taxi. Everyone was quite responsible. 

Or offer it throughout the evening (if the venue has that option).  Not everyone drinks alcohol, or maybe they don't want to drink only alcohol so it's nice for them to have options.  

Also serving these things for the last hour won't sober anyone up.  However, if they are available the entire time some people may alternate their alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks which could lead to less alcohol consumption.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    SP29 said:

Or offer it throughout the evening (if the venue has that option).  Not everyone drinks alcohol, or maybe they don't want to drink only alcohol so it's nice for them to have options.  

Also serving these things for the last hour won't sober anyone up.  However, if they are available the entire time some people may alternate their alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks which could lead to less alcohol consumption.  
    I actually don't drink alcohol, and basically no one on my side of the family does  (part of the reason I didn't know what was rude or not re: a cutoff) so I will be having tea, fancy waters, coffee, specialty virgin drinks all night long.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards