Chit Chat
Options

Social media during the honeymoon?

2»

Re: Social media during the honeymoon?

• Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I think I posted one picture while we were on our HM. It was right after we had been 3 feet from sleeping lions and the pic was just amazing and I was on cloud 9. We didn't really have service while we were away (unless we wanted to spend a billion dollars on data) and the wifi at our hotels wasn't great. We probably would have posted a bit more if the wifi was better. 

• Options
    I'm undecided.

Part of me wants to wait until we get home because we're having such a small wedding that not all of our friends will know the date/time frame and I'm weird/paranoid about announcing when I'm going to be away for an extended period of time.  The other part of me says 'YAY! Pictures to share with the world'

Anniversary
  • Options
    tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    Those of you that plan to "black out" from social media - do you just have more self control than I do and plan to use your phone just for it's camera, and not open any apps? Or do you plan to just ditch the phone in the hotel room entirely?

Call me weak, but if I have my phone in my hand with free wi-fi I'm not sure I can avoid checking in with the world... yep I'm weak.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There's no way we can have any kind of social media/electronics black-out when we go on a honeymoon. We run our own business, but get referrals and leads from the company we distribute from. We have gotten some really, really great leads ($$$) but if you don't contact these people quickly enough you can easily lose their business. Even if we're only gone a week, we'd have to log in at least two or three times to check our referrals and deal with social media requests.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    tcnoble said:
    Those of you that plan to "black out" from social media - do you just have more self control than I do and plan to use your phone just for it's camera, and not open any apps? Or do you plan to just ditch the phone in the hotel room entirely?

Call me weak, but if I have my phone in my hand with free wi-fi I'm not sure I can avoid checking in with the world... yep I'm weak.

Going to a country where our phones won't work will help us have a blackout. Lol. Actually I don't think it will be that hard for FI or me to go without our phones or computers. We have a "no tech" weekend once every other month. No tv, no computer, no phone. It is nice to spend that time together without being constantly connected to something else.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    tcnoble said:

Going to a country where our phones won't work will help us have a blackout. Lol. Actually I don't think it will be that hard for FI or me to go without our phones or computers. We have a "no tech" weekend once every other month. No tv, no computer, no phone. It is nice to spend that time together without being constantly connected to something else.

Totally agree. And the whole 'vacation in the Dominican Republic with no wifi' thing will make that a little easier. I'll definitely use my phone for the camera though.
    imageimage">
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    tcnoble said:

'Tis called an actual camera, dah-ling :)

To answer OP, I have zero intention of updating social media during the HM. I will be too busy enjoying myself, not just spending time with FI but also spending time away. I'll be too happy just relaxing and having fun, even during the moments that aren't blissfully romantic.  
  • Options
    I probably won't. We'll be in Italy and I'm not paying for an international plan while we're there. Unless I connect to WiFi at the apartment we're renting, I really don't plan to be online. 

We were on a European cruise last year for 10 days. I had my phone shut off the entire time. It was amazing, actually. FI was able the use his phone but the only time we did was to call my parents to tell them that we'd gotten engaged. 
  • Options
    tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    ElcaB said:
    tcnoble said:

'Tis called an actual camera, dah-ling :)

To answer OP, I have zero intention of updating social media during the HM. I will be too busy enjoying myself, not just spending time with FI but also spending time away. I'll be too happy just relaxing and having fun, even during the moments that aren't blissfully romantic.  
    What's that?! ;) I don't even own a normal camera anymore! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm on my phone constantly for work. Like no joke.....even at like midnight I'm checking and responding to emails :(

So we are turning the phones off at the airport and turning them back on when we return to the airport. We are gonna take real photos with the new camera we got and I can facebook and instagram them after :)

It's not so much about it being an ultra romantic blah blah.....but a way of me showing him he has my full attention that week and I am not letting anything distract me from our time together.
  • Options

We turned our cellular data off so we wouldn't get charged an arm and a leg while on our HM. Therefore, no posts to social media. We bought wifi for a day so I did email my mom and MIL a couple of pictures. I just waited until we got back home to upload a facebook album.

We aren't all lovey dovey either, but we do tend to be on our phones/ipads a lot normally (Like those crazy videos circling around now, showing how we are all missing our lives because our nose is in our phone, haha - it is sad, I have to admit). It was nice to just focus on being away together, considering it was our first vacation.

• Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Since FI is surprising me with our HM, I really hope we will be somewhere there is no cell phone service. On our monthly date nights phones are off and away, so I imagine besides the "We got here safe," call there won't be much want or need for cell phones.
  • Options
    kasmith1 said:

Since FI is surprising me with our HM, I really hope we will be somewhere there is no cell phone service. On our monthly date nights phones are off and away, so I imagine besides the "We got here safe," call there won't be much want or need for cell phones.

We should do this. :/ Fi and I are both pretty much connected to our phones at the fingertips.

But we're both pretty introverted, so we socialize best by just being near each other.
  • Options
    I would post pictures and what not afterwards. We will be on a cruise and it costs money to post. I will be very excited to post after we get back so our family and friends see the beauty of our trip!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Fi and I are planning to cut out internet all together for our honeymoon so social media will wait until we are back home. We promised each other not to text either. Mostly, all I get are some links to some silly pictures and then they get mad if I don't comment or like it; or texts that say things like "Omg, this happened today!" to which I can only think to reply with 1 word: "cool" or "lol" anyway so it's not a big deal for me. 

The only exceptions would be if we got an emergency call or to contact someone to let them know we are alright, but even then we'd use our phones unless we really don't have a phone signal.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rsbloomrsbloom member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I don't post vacation pics until we're back, because I don't like broadcasting the house is empty.  I don't do check ins unless i'm trying a new local restaurant or bar, and that's usually when we're out the door and headed home.

I'll probably check in with my parents and say "we landed safe," but I don't like being glued to SM and my phone during vacations.  My FI rarely goes on FB anymore, so SM would be out for him too.
  • Options

@swazzle, where did you go!

I probably won't have the chance to post things because I doubt we'll have much service or working phones.  But it definitely won't be because we want to have a media black out and gaze into each other's eyes the whole time, or stay locked in the bedroom.  We've been together 6 years and have gone on many vacations together, so while this will be an epic trip, it won't be some special new time to get to know one another.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Two of my very good friends have been on their honeymoon for 36 hours and have already created an entire FB album of pictures. I'm getting annoyed--I don't want to go on your honeymoon with you, stop posting so many pictures!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Since we are going to Disney World and everything is linked to the "My Disney Experience" app, we'll have our phones with us for updating fast passes and remembering when we have dinner reservations. We might post a few pics, but nothing too excessive.
  • Options
    I'm not on facebook, neither is my FI so that's that. But does the whole world need to know what you're doing at all times? Not only that, they'll know when your home is empty and can rob you.. Just saying
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

@swazzle, where did you go!

I probably won't have the chance to post things because I doubt we'll have much service or working phones.  But it definitely won't be because we want to have a media black out and gaze into each other's eyes the whole time, or stay locked in the bedroom.  We've been together 6 years and have gone on many vacations together, so while this will be an epic trip, it won't be some special new time to get to know one another.

We went to South Africa. Spent 4 nights in Cape Town and 3 nights on a safari at a private reserve in Kruger National Park :)

• Options
    Since we are going to Disney World and everything is linked to the "My Disney Experience" app, we'll have our phones with us for updating fast passes and remembering when we have dinner reservations. We might post a few pics, but nothing too excessive.
    This is what I'm looking at as well since we're doing the Disney thing too. 

I don't usually post on FB -- this pretty much sums me up on FB:
    All I ever seem to post are doggy pictures and stuff about my dog's lives.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'll probably post the pictures because I use my IPhone as my carmera. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards