Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Polish and lookin' to polka!

Hey ladies! I was wondering if there were any other Polish brides out there? My dad taught me how to polka when I was little, and I want to incorporate one in my father/daughter dance. I want to surprise my dad (and everyone else at the wedding), but I was wondering if anyone had an Polka suggestions? Pennsylvania Polka is overdone and we're doing a bridal dance polka, so I'm just not sure. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa

Re: Polish and lookin' to polka!

• Options
    Could you just have polka music and then if you or any Polish family members want to polka you can? Or get together with your dad ahead of time and ask him if he'd want to Polka with you for your father/daughter dance? Nothing choreographed, just dancing to polka music. 

I've been to a couple of weddings where there was a "surprise" choreographed dance. It didn't turn out like the movies where everyone is all "wow!! ooooo ahhh!" It was pretty awkward for the guests because they had taken what's supposed to be a really special moment and turned it into kind of a cheesy, AWish dance recital, KWIM?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Sorry for the confusion! We aren't doing a choreographed dance. We are just going to polka, but I know my guests will just expect a slow song and not a polka---that's the surprise. I just needed a song recommendation for a polka song that is popular with other brides.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Options

I know nothing about polka music. I know how to dance the polka, but nothing about the music!  

That being said, my grandma recently asked me if I would play a polka at my wedding (sort of in honor of my grandpa, who recently passed away) and I thought it was really important to accommodate her request. I just emailed my DJ and asked if he had any suggestions for polka music. He was able to give me a list of the polkas he usually plays at weddings. I am from Wisconsin though so everyone is German and Polish! Playing a polka at a wedding is not unheard of so it was an easy request for the DJ, but maybe talk to them and see!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited July 2014
    des9724 said:
    Hey ladies! I was wondering if there were any other Polish brides out there? My dad taught me how to polka when I was little, and I want to incorporate one in my father/daughter dance. I want to surprise my dad (and everyone else at the wedding), but I was wondering if anyone had an Polka suggestions? Pennsylvania Polka is overdone and we're doing a bridal dance polka, so I'm just not sure. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
    Tangent, but what is this? Does it mean your wedding party has to polka?

ETA: If it does, skip that and just polka with your dad.
  • Options
    In other parts of the country, people call it the money dance. My family calls it the bridal dance because we don't take money. All the guests get a chance to dance with the bride.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Options
    schramm2407

Thank you for the idea!  I sent an email to my DJ and hopefully he gets back to me soon.  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Options
    csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    des9724 said:
    In other parts of the country, people call it the money dance. My family calls it the bridal dance because we don't take money. All the guests get a chance to dance with the bride.
    This sounds like a lot of fun!  I don't have any suggestions for your father daughter dance but I can tell you that Roll Out the Barrel was the most popular of the polka songs we played so it might be a good one for the bridal dance you are planning.
  • Options
    You could also check YouTube for polka music. My husband's family is Ukrainian. 'Beer Barrel Polka,' 'In Heaven, There is no Beer,' and 'Una Paloma Blanca,' and the dreaded 'Chicken Polka,' gets the family on the dance floor.

• Options
    KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I'm a fair bit Polish, and from Wisconsin--for my part, there absolutely MUST be a rendition of "Roll Out the Barrel"!

ETF: Spelling. Why is it so hard?
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    My FI is polish, and I keep trying to get him to a dance class so we can learn to polka.  I think it would be fun.  So far, no luck, but I'm gonna keep at it!!!   
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    My family is Polish. :)

"Clarinet Polka" is my favorite polka. I linked the video below. We played it at our reception along with "Roll Out the Barrel". (People have a FIT if "Roll..." isn't played.)

• Options
    I'm from Philly and don't have a drop of Polish blood in me, but my FI is from (and we are getting married in) Wisconsin. We're having the DJ play Roll Out the Barrel and the Pennsylvania Polka. :)
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards