Israeli Cous Cous with Roasted Eggplant and Roasted Cherry

Tomato

Grilled Zucchini with Cream Cheese and Roasted Peppers

Braised Portobello Mushroom with Saffron Risotto and Parsley Oil

Giant Vegetable Ravioli with Cottage Cheese Seasonal Vegetables

and Tomato Sauce

Re: Vegeterian options

• Options
    I'd be all over the risotto and portobello mushrooms, but I wouldn't pick it for my guests, because too many people hate mushrooms.

The giant ravioli might be good. I'd try it first, though.  The cottage cheese and ”tomato sauce"  make me suspicious that it might be bad fake Italian. If it isn't, that's the one. 
  • Options
    I hate mushrooms so i definitely wouldn't pick that one.
  • Options
    I'd prefer the mushroom risotto, but mushrooms are tricky. I also love ravioli but cottage cheese is weird. 

Really the only I wouldn't eat is the cous cous because I hate tomatoes. The zucchini one doesn't sound very filing though.
  • Options
    The giant ravioli sounds incredible!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Is there any possibility of vegans attending, not just ovo-lacto vegetarians?  Is there any possibility of any low carb or gluten-free attending?  Most celiacs probably wouldn't eat reception food unless there was a guarantee of certified g-free, but there are some who are g-free for non-celiac medical conditions.

If any of the above is possible, I would get the most bang for your buck by avoiding the couscous and ravioli.  I'd be inclined to go with the potato or risotto, but clarify if they are dairy-free, gluten-free if those types of things matter (they sound the most likely to be based on description). 

If no vegan/g-free concerns, then honestly, as a former vegetarian, the only ones that have some semblance of protein in them that might be somewhat filling are the ones with cheese and using cream cheese and cottage cheese just seems...odd.  I've had cottage cheese as a ricotta sub in lasagna, but never ravioli.  But nonetheless, those would be the ones I would vote for so there is some protein in there - unless you can get the caterer to change the couscous to quinoa or somehow work in some kind of legume (like chickpeas in the couscous or black beans in the Spanish dish). 
  • Options
    ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Cottage cheese seasonal vegetables?
    ETA: Oh, you mean ravioli with cottage cheese filling?  The lack of punctuation is confusing, and I would never associate ravioli with cottage cheese.  That sounds like a bizarre filling to me.

• Options
    They all sound pretty good to me and I take my hat off to every considerate bride who goes so far in making sure all guests can eat adult food. I can't tell you how many times the "vegetarian" options have looked like Chef-Boy-R-Dee from a can.
  • Options
    Cottage cheese? Not ricotta? Grilled zucchini with cream cheese?!? Spanish potato- what is that? Patates bravas?

These all sound terrible like your caterer has no idea what they are doing and is just aimlessly piling on "the fancy."
  • Options
    Cottage cheese? Not ricotta? Grilled zucchini with cream cheese?!? Spanish potato- what is that? Patates bravas? These all sound terrible like your caterer has no idea what they are doing and is just aimlessly piling on "the fancy."
    Yeah, sorry OP, a few of those options just seem strange.  Potatoes and veggies sounds like a side dish.  Cottage cheese ravioli sounds disgusting.  Zucchini with cream cheese doesn't sound very filling and sounds like an appetizer. 

Do you have other options?
  • Options
    This is what they offered if any one have any other ideas i can present those as well.
  • Options
    Ravioli is usually prepared with ricotta cheese, grilled vegetables can stand on their own or be served with grilled tofu. If the portobello mushrooms are large enough, you could serve them the same way you would serve a meat main course, with vegetables and potato or rice on the side. Hope this helps a bit
  • Options
    The cottage cheese with the ravioli doesn't sound weird to me, but my favorite lasagna recipe uses cottage cheese mixed with parmesan and oregano in the filling.  So, maybe I am biased.  It sounded weird the first time I heard that it was cottage cheese in the lasagna, but it totally works and has a milder flavor than ricotta.
  • Options
    Sorry, none of them sound very satisfying to me. I will say though that I offered a mushroom strudel with butter-poached asparagus as my veg option and have been shocked at how many people chose it, meat-eaters included. So your crowd may not have a mushroom aversion. (I asked my one vegetarian guest about it first, and that's what she wanted. Then like 16 more people have piled on.)

• Options
    I have a coworker whose wife is vegetarian, and he was talking recently about the baked zucchini boats he makes with halved zucchinis where part of the middle is scooped out and then filled with a mix of veggies, cheese, bread crumbs and so on. They sounded very tasty. 
  • Options
    ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    The cottage cheese with the ravioli doesn't sound weird to me, but my favorite lasagna recipe uses cottage cheese mixed with parmesan and oregano in the filling.  So, maybe I am biased.  It sounded weird the first time I heard that it was cottage cheese in the lasagna, but it totally works and has a milder flavor than ricotta.
    This was done a lot in the 60s and early 70s by non Italians, when ricotta wasn't widely available in suburban America. But ricotta is actually milder, lighter and more delicate. No professional chef should ever ever do this. I would not hire a caterer that thought it was okay.
    ETA: So, yes, commas are needed, OP. Is it Giant Vegetable Ravioli, with Cottage Cheese, Seasonal Vegetables, and Tomato Sauce, like the cottage cheese is a side dish, or is it Giant Vegetable Ravioli with Cottage Cheese, and  Seasonal Vegetables, etc.  If the cottage cheese is actually in the ravioli, your caterer needs to step up his game. Because that's not how you treat ravioli. Or a vegetarian guest. 

• Options
    I'm surprised there are no heartier options like a vegetable lasagna, or an eggplant parmigiana/rollatini,
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

The ravioli sounds great!

• Options
    KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    You have to be careful with anything that just lists "vegetables" because that often includes mushrooms in it.  Not only do many people not enjoy mushrooms, it's also a very common food allergy.  I say this as a vegetarian with a severe mushroom/fungi allergy that has caused several hospital visits.

• Options
    Agree...those options make me a little nervous.  We're having Eggplant Parmesan, which is a fairly easy crowd pleaser (and filling).  We're also offering fish, since some of our vegetarians are able to eat that as well.
    Anniversary

• Options
    cookdt5312014cookdt5312014 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2014
    These options are being offered in addition to vegetable lasagna. we have to pick another option besides the lasagna.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

These options are being offered in addition to vegetable lasagna. we have to pick another option besides the lasagna.

Aha. Then I'd go with something vegan for your second option. I'd go with the risotto (assuming they'll make it without butter, cream or cheese).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards